Jump to content
vortecjr

Sonore Signature Rendu SE

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Sonore-Rendu-SE-front.pngSonore-Rendu-SE-rear.png


 

DESCRIPTION

Introducing the Signature Rendu SE, the absolute finest streaming USB source we have made. The Signature Rendu SE is the natural evolution of Sonore’s microRendu (computeraudiophile.com Product of the Year 2016) and Sonore’s acclaimed Signature Power Supply.

 

SELECTABLE OUTPUT MODES - Sonicorbiter 2.5

Mode #1 - SqueezeLite Output - This output works with any Logitech Media Server and compatible controllers. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD.

 

Mode #2 - ShairPort Output - This is an AirPlay emulator that utilizes streams sent to it from a compatible source. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM.

 

Mode #3 - MPD/DLNA Output:

Mode #3a - DLNA Output - This output utilizes streams from UPNP/DLNA servers and controllers. This output can be configured as an OpenHome renderer. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD.

Mode #3b - MPD Output - This output is intended to work with a SMB mount. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD. This option requires a SMB share to mount your content in combination with the built in Drive Mounter application.

Mode #3c - Songcast Output - This output accepts streams from your computer running Linn Songcast. The application is in Beta form.

WorksWith_AUDIRVANA-LOGO.thumb.png.0a8cb69fc2a5e94117e935f6ca2a42c9.png

 

Mode #4 - HQ Player NAA Output - This output utilizes streams from Signalyst's HQ Player running on your computer. Digital signal processing is performed by HQ Player and then asynchronously streamed to the Network Audio Adapter (NAA) output. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD.

 

Mode #5 - RoonReady Output - This output utilizes streams from Roon. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD.

RoonReady Logo small.png

 

Mode #6 - Spotify Connect Output - This output can be controlled by your computer or tablet running the Spotify (premium) application. This application is based on librespot - an open source client library for Spotify. The application is in Beta form.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Introducing the Sonore Signature Rendu SE. Wait, what?!

 

:~)

 

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/ca/bits-and-bytes/introducing-the-sonore-signature-rendu-se-r659/

 

This sounds interestingly like a "marriage," in one box, of the ultrarendu and the now retired signature series power supply, but what do I know?  Any idea when the pricing information will be available?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be clear, the SRse is actually more than a Signature Power Supply/UltraRendu combo.  The power supply included in the SRse has been improved over that in even the Signature Power Supply.  The SRse supply gets a custom wound Mercury Magnetics transformer (which was available as an option on the Sig. Power Supply) and additional power supply capacitance (and newly chosen capacitors as well).  The transformer is fully custom built specifically for this product, made in the USA.

While comparisons to the dCS product are inevitable, these are clearly two different devices: The SRse is USB output, designed to be the best USB audio source possible, and the dCS unit is SPDIF output.  Depending on ones DAC, and needs, one or the other will be preferable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, barrows said:

The SRse is USB output, designed to be the best USB audio source possible, and the dCS unit is SPDIF output.

According to Michael Lavorgna's article on the dCS Network Bridge

the USB port, which is currently for USB storage, will become USB DAC enabled so you can output your data via USB to your USB DAC.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rickca said:

According to Michael Lavorgna's article on the dCS Network Bridge

the USB port, which is currently for USB storage, will become USB DAC enabled so you can output your data via USB to your USB DAC.
 

 There's a big caveat here, in that the USB output will not support all DACs. I believe dCS will support dCS DACs and maybe a handful of others. The company will not be supporting USB output in the same way Sonore does, because it's a full time job to keep up with all the items that pop up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Special offer / notice:

1. If you purchased an ultraRendu and want to upgrade to a Signature Rendu SE we will give you a 100% refund towards your purchase of a Signature Rendu SE upon return of your ultraRendu. This offer is for a limited time only and applies to customers who bought an ultraRendu via the www.sonore.us website. If you are interested in this offer please email Adrian L. at alebena@comcast.net  

2. We are currently taking pre-orders on the Signature Rendu SE. We are just ramping up production now and units should ship in approximately 3 weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are getting a lot of requests for the discontinued Sonore Signature Power Supply. If you have one and want to sell it to fund the purchase of an Sonore Rendu SE please contact my VP Adrian L. at alebena@comcast.net. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lcocozza said:

Yes, it does exactly the same thing as micro ou ultrarendu but it is a more refined piece of gear.

 

Thanks for the clarity - appreciated.

 

I need a DAC for my main system now that I have moved my Metrum Acoustics Musette to my headphone station. I would prefer to have my DAC and streamer in one unit if possible, so Aurender A10, PS Audio Direct Stream Junior, Lumin A1 or similar. Has anyone owned one of these streamers and compared the SQ with that of the Sonore products?

 

If I am going to choose a separate DAC and the Sonore Signature SE over other options it must justify that in performance. Grateful for any views.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, George Hincapie said:

 

Thanks for the clarity - appreciated.

 

I need a DAC for my main system now that I have moved my Metrum Acoustics Musette to my headphone station. I would prefer to have my DAC and streamer in one unit if possible, so Aurender A10, PS Audio Direct Stream Junior, Lumin A1 or similar. Has anyone owned one of these streamers and compared the SQ with that of the Sonore products?

 

If I am going to choose a separate DAC and the Sonore Signature SE over other options it must justify that in performance. Grateful for any views.

There are reviews with our older gear on various forums. I'm not aware of any with our new gear though. Also, remember these units run very versatile software and new capabilities are always being evaluated and considered for incorporation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

There are reviews with our older gear on various forums. I'm not aware of any with our new gear though. Also, remember these units run very versatile software and new capabilities are always being evaluated and considered for incorporation. 

 

And that's fantastic, I'll see if I can find some comparative reviews. Would still be great to read anecdotal experiences from forum members though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Yes. Roon needs to run someplace on your network.

 

Will I still need Roon Core running on a Sonic Transporter or similar to use this item with Roon?

 

Yes. Roon needs to run someplace on your network.

 

 ----------------------------------------------------------------------

 
yes i'm also trying to determine these streamers and their purpose, esp if you go upwards in value to the SE edition or other.
my rig is simple: lps1 to MR to a DAC playing tidal and roon.
(I mostly stream my music thru Tidal)
my laptop is 10 yrs old however.
 
...and if i upgrade to a Chord Hugo2 or PS Audio Direct Stream JR (from what i understand) they both upsample more than what Roon offers...so maybe just a basic sonic transport i5 would suit me.
 
sorry if i'm a bit confused...but i'm like all of you on here:
while i do not mind spending $$ to enhance my SQ, i do find some of this emerging technology and how it fits in ones' audio eco system a bit confusing .... i just don't want to overspend on something i might not need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, canali said:

yes i'm also trying to determine these streamers and their purpose, esp if you go upwards in value to the SE edition or other.

my rig is simple: lps1 to MR to a DAC playing tidal and roon.
(I mostly stream my music thru Tidal)
my laptop is 10 yrs old however.
 
...and if i upgrade to a Chord Hugo2 or PS Audio Direct Stream JR (from what i understand) they both upsample more than what Roon offers...so maybe just a basic sonic transport i5 would suit me.
 
sorry if i'm a bit confused...but i'm like all of you on here:
while i do not mind spending $$ to enhance my SQ, i do find some of this emerging technology and how it fits in ones' audio eco system a bit confusing .... i just don't want to overspend on something i might not need.

A simple test would be to update your original microRendu with the 1.4 hardware so you can see the direction all this technology is going in. Those two DACs have USB input so no issue there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2017 at 1:20 PM, canali said:

 

...and if i upgrade to a Chord Hugo2 or PS Audio Direct Stream JR (from what i understand) they both upsample more than what Roon offers...so maybe just a basic sonic transport i5 would suit me.

 

Maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying but Roon will upsample to DSD 512 if you have a DAC that can handle it. (I don't)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, daverich4 said:

 

Maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying but Roon will upsample to DSD 512 if you have a DAC that can handle it. (I don't)

I think he is going to let the DAC do the work so he does not need a server that can resample. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the mRendu, the best (stated by many users) power supply is the Uptone LPS-1. I assume this will also be the case for the ultraRendu. Why would this Signature Rendu perform better than an ultraRendu/LPS-1 combo?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, skatbelt said:

For the mRendu, the best (stated by many users) power supply is the Uptone LPS-1. I assume this will also be the case for the ultraRendu. Why would this Signature Rendu perform better than an ultraRendu/LPS-1 combo?

 

Sonore Signature Power Supply  outperforms LPS-1, so it is easy to expect the Signature Rendu being ahead of both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2017 at 3:07 PM, Lcocozza said:

 

Sonore Signature Power Supply  outperforms LPS-1, so it is easy to expect the Signature Rendu being ahead of both.

 

Where did you gather that knowledge? My JS-2 certainly does not outperform the LPS-1 feeding my mRendu (it is the other way around) and I always thought JS-2 and Sonore Signature PS were in the same league. This review also doesn't hint in the direction: https://www.audiostream.com/content/uptone-audio-ultracap-lps-1

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, skatbelt said:

 

Where did you gather that knowledge? My JS-2 certainly does not outperform the LPS-1 feeding my mRendu (it is the other way around) and I always thought JS-2 and Sonore Signature PS were in the same league. This review also doesn't hint in the direction: https://www.audiostream.com/content/uptone-audio-ultracap-lps-1

 

Where did you gather that knowledge? I mean...are they in the same league:) Nothing against the JS-2 (I own one), but they are very different power supplies. Also, I don't believe Michael compared the LPS-1 to our power supply and he does say he would have owned one if he could have afforded it. Anyway, this thread is not about a Sonore Signature Power Supply into a microRendu, but a new unit that contains an ultraRendu with a revised power supply design. BTW Chris is going to review it soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Sonore Signature Rendu arrived yesterday (Saturday) replacing my Microrendu and Sonore Signature Power Supply, the latter which Sonore took as a trade-into, Nice lookin' and solidly built. I went to "My Sonicorbiter" and enabled RoonReady mode. Then I set up the Signature Rendu as I had set up the Microrendu previously. But it's giving me lots of issues and reloading firmware doesn't help. I can get it to play and output actual music only if I set ROON to downsample to 48-24 or 44-16. It will also play and output music when set to 44-16 and 48-24! I suspect perhaps USPS was a bit rough in transport (even though no external evidence of this) enough to mess up the little computer hardware therein. I'll get with Sonore Monday and I'm sure we'll go through steps to see if perhaps I've set it up wrong, and if not, I'm sure Sonore will quickly ensure that I am taken care of.  (Note my multi-channel CAPSv3 HDMI server works fine with ROON - it's just that two channel via USB is the most I am there for critical laid back listening!

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not concerned about USPS because the unit is solid-state. I would not reload the apps because that rarely is needed with our operating system. I have only recommended this when there is a specific reason for it.

 

What I would like to know is how is the CAPS and the Rendu connected to the router?  Which CAPS v3? I will assume for now that Roon has been on the unit and that that library was previously scanned.       

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×