IGNORED

Amazon changing Cloud storage amounts

Pricing is unchanged up to 1TB. For larger amounts it gets progressively more expensive. Even so, it's one of the cheaper options around.

FWIW, the "unlimited" plans are still offered in Europe, but it's probably just a matter of time before they're withdrawn there too.

55 minutes ago, Jud said:

My response shall be brief:

F**k.

Same here :/  I'm at just less than 10TB, but I had a "free with Prime" offer, so I'll go from effectively free to several hundred dollars / year :(  

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Shit. I have 8 TB stored with them. Luckily I just renewed less than a month ago so I'm good for a bit. I have the Amazon Cloud client on my NAS. So what goes there goes to Amazon also. 

I love this tidbit about M$ OneDrive:

"“A small number of users backed up numerous PCs and stored entire movie collections and DVR recordings,” said the OneDrive team in November 2015. “In some instances, this exceeded 75 TB per user or 14,000 times the average. Instead of focusing on extreme backup scenarios, we want to remain focused on delivering high-value productivity and collaboration experiences that benefit the majority of OneDrive users.”

What the hell did they think people were going to do with UNLIMITED storage? I know someone had to of pointed this out in the planning meetings what unlimited means and what people are going to naturally do and they go ahead and offer those plans anyways? 

5 hours ago, plissken said:

What the hell did they think people were going to do with UNLIMITED storage?

Use it, and then, as pointed out at the same meetings, they'd be really reluctant to stop when you began charging.

Amazon still has the same thing for photos, but they're probably reluctant to start wiping thousands of records of poor dear dead Grandma quite yet, and they don't want to drive people back to Walmart to get all their pics printed, either.  We'll see how long that lasts.

I have an idea though....

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Some folks already do a thing where they give a backup drive to a friend, so if something happens at their house the friend still has the spare.

Meanwhile probably the most secure remote storage you can get is an open source thing called tarsnap, done by a former Canadian Math Olympian and FreeBSD Security Officer.  But it uses Amazon's AWS servers, so for our use case it's not cheap.

I'd love to see someone come up with a combination of something like BitTorrent and tarsnap, a highly secure remote storage that would let everyone in the "storage network" distribute their music storage among hundreds or thousands of "nodes," i.e., personally owned drives.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Backups are best kept in a geographic location outside the range of whatever natural disaster you are worried about (or theft).  If you live in or near a forest, that mean forest fires.  If you live near a volcano that means lahars, ash, explosion, and earthquake.  If you live in a floodplain...

I am not fond of online backups for a number of reason (including hacking, failure of the server farm or internet links, etc.).

You've probably heard that you should keep a will in a bank box, so stick an outboard hard-drive in there too and do it every year.  Choose the bank location based on paragraph one.

18 hours ago, jhwalker said:

Same here :/  I'm at just less than 10TB, but I had a "free with Prime" offer, so I'll go from effectively free to several hundred dollars / year :(  

Just checked my account - I would be going from $0 to $480 / year.  Really hating this - along with CrashPlan (a reasonable $120 / year for unlimited storage) and local NAS, Amazon Cloud was one leg of my backup plan :( 

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

29 minutes ago, Foggie said:

Just rename all your files to have the extension .jpg :) 

Think they'll catch on? ;)

4 minutes ago, jtwrace said:

I'm laughing cuz I'm not surprised one bit.  Glad I made other arrangements years ago and saved hundreds of dollars.  :D

Good, what are the winning Powerball numbers? :)