• nausea.
  • vomiting.
  • abdominal cramps.
  • diarrhoea.
  • dizziness.
  • loss of balance.
  • seizures (fitting)
  • drowsiness

I just go into the garage and try to figure out what's wrong with my carburetors.

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

I just go into the garage and try to figure out what's wrong with my carburetors.

You still have carburetors? Aren't those considered by car guys the way modern audiophiles consider tube amps? :P

By the way Ralf, can you explain your avatar photo to me?  It's beautiful and creepy at the same time.  Keep thinking I see some sort of menacing face in it.

When you open the site to "new unread" and are bitterly disappointed there aren't any....

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

12 hours ago, Superdad said:

You still have carburetors? Aren't those considered by car guys the way modern audiophiles consider tube amps? :P

By the way Ralf, can you explain your avatar photo to me?  It's beautiful and creepy at the same time.  Keep thinking I see some sort of menacing face in it.

The avatar is an SEM of the Organ of Corti - maybe you hear a menacing face?  It is the part of the ear that contains hair cells which detect sound, and is designed to do something very like an FFT on incoming sound.

I own two tube pre-amps.  They are euphonic..  The carbs are on an old sports car, which was a lot of fun to drive before it started giving me problems (and a lot of fun to build up - I took fuel injection off the motor and hot rodded it, then added carbs).  Parts on the car range from the mid-1960s to the mid-1980s in design, not date of manf.  (It is like right sizing something; I right-historied it).  The daily driver has a modern EFI system and will become an EV if they ever make one that can do what I need...

25 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

The avatar is an SEM of the Organ of Corti - maybe you hear a menacing face?  It is the part of the ear that contains hair cells which detect sound, and is designed to do something very like an FFT on incoming sound.

I own two tube pre-amps.  They are euphonic..  The carbs are on an old sports car, which was a lot of fun to drive before it started giving me problems (and a lot of fun to build up - I took fuel injection off the motor and hot rodded it, then added carbs).  Parts on the car range from the mid-1960s to the mid-1980s in design, not date of manf.  (It is like right sizing something; I right-historied it).  The daily driver has a modern EFI system and will become an EV if they ever make one that can do what I need...

What year and model sports car is it? I agree about EVs. As long as you can't pull into a service station, get a full charge in under FIVE minutes, the only EV that I could seriously contemplate would be a fuel-cell driven vehicle (the ideal fully electric solution) or a gasoline/electric hybrid like a Chevy Volt. The Tesla's a beautiful car, but what good is it if you can't drive across the country without stopping for 8 hours every 200 or so miles to completely recharge the batteries. Also, it is my belief that merely moving the point of pollution from locally (i.e., the car itself) to a central location (a power plant somewhere) is really just making the pollution point invisible to the car owner, NOT removing it altogether. And while granted that a steam generating* plant is much more efficient than an internal combustion automobile engine, not burning anything as in a fuel-cell is the only real net gain system on the horizon for vehicles. 

*I realize that there are sources of grid power other than burning hydrocarbons, to wit: solar, wind, geothermal, hydroelectric, etc. But the fact remains that 65% of all US Power is derived from burning hydrocarbons. Only about 19% is from nuclear bringing the total up 84%. The other 16% are renewable energy sources (these figures come from US Energy Information Administration for 2016).  

George

It's a Porsche 911 and the unit body is a 1973.

I need an EV that is an SUV, with at minimum Sube Forester levels of off-roadiness.  A fine sound system would be a nice plus so I could drive it and listen to music instead of...

<wait for it>

...ODing on CA.

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

It's a Porsche 911 and the unit body is a 1973.

I need an EV that is an SUV, with at minimum Sube Forester levels of off-roadiness.  A fine sound system would be a nice plus so I could drive it and listen to music instead of...

<wait for it>

...ODing on CA.

Nice!

George