Jump to content
Computer Audiophile
plissken

Would forum members chip in $$ for a USB analyzer

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Miska   
8 hours ago, jabbr said:

 

The Ethernet->I2S/DSD interfaces will generally run ARM perhaps with an associated FPGA (e.g. Zynq), but not necessarily (e.g. rPi). Or another SoC such as ClearFog (Armada). Lots of options. Each DAC needs an ALSA driver. A remote network protocol such as netJACK->ALSA or @Miskas NAA would connect. The interface would run some version of Linux, typically. Presumably one could do the same type of thing for Windows IoT.

 

Smallest device I run NAA on is 400 MHz ARM9 with 64 MB RAM. That is good up to stereo 768/32 PCM and DSD256. Power consumption is 750 mW peak.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
plissken   
15 minutes ago, Miska said:

 

Well, it is pretty much just PCIexpress on a cable. Companies like RME, Lynx and many others have been making sound cards that perform better than many audiophile DACs and sit inside the computer connecting to the PCIe...

 

Focusrite, Universal Audio and many others already have Thunderbolt interfaces for studios. It allows low latency and huge number of channels at the same time.

 

Of course audiophiles can keep worrying about the noise and all that, while not knowing that the music they've been listening to has been recorded using Thunderbolt connected ADC... ;)

 

 

And no magical regen boondongles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Miska said:

 

Well, it is pretty much just PCIexpress on a cable. Companies like RME, Lynx and many others have been making sound cards that perform better than many audiophile DACs and sit inside the computer connecting to the PCIe...

 

Focusrite, Universal Audio and many others already have Thunderbolt interfaces for studios. It allows low latency and huge number of channels at the same time.

 

Of course audiophiles can keep worrying about the noise and all that, while not knowing that the music they've been listening to has been recorded using Thunderbolt connected ADC... ;)

 

 

Just because it's done doesn't mean it's done for the best sound quality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Miska   
3 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

 

Just because it's done doesn't mean it's done for the best sound quality. 

 

It also doesn't mean that the devices are technically bad... In fact, there are many great performing pro-audio devices out there.

 

Your USB and Ethernet interfaces are connected to the PCIexpress bus inside your computer anyway. So either USB and Ethernet are then bad too, or then if someone claims PCIe is bad they are incompetent in using it correctly.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jabbr   
1 hour ago, Miska said:

Your USB and Ethernet interfaces are connected to the PCIexpress bus inside your computer anyway. So either USB and Ethernet are then bad too, or then if someone claims PCIe is bad they are incompetent in using it correctly.

For PCs the PCIe bus is universal -- not so much for ARM. Moving forward perhaps the interface not for forget will be WiFi. I'd argue for Ethernet over TB from an availability rather that technical POV. Is there something intrinsic to WiFi that makes it less desirable?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2017 at 9:16 PM, Teresa said:

I agree with Speed Racer perhaps new DACs should move away from USB. Maybe something like Thunderbolt.

  I am using a Thunderbolt connected interface. Even using a TB port and a FW to TB adapter showed much better sonics compared to the FW buss.

  Just picked up a MacBook Pro that only has TB3/USBC ports. Waiting for a four channel dac that utilizes the new buss. 

  For now a Thunderbolt connection is fine. 

  The new TB3/USBC buss should start to appear on studio gear later this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jabbr   

Following to above post : my initial interest in using fiberoptic Ethernet was 1) for the very easy and complete electrical isolation and 2) to try and minimize the idea that we should try to improve SQ by tweaking cables because ... Corning fiberoptic Ethernet cables are cheap and SOA.

 

Aside from that I have no reason to arbitrarily prefer USB vs TB vs Ethernet in fact my Zynq interface would handle all 3 with essentially equal facility. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jabbr   
2 hours ago, Wavelength said:

Trying to fix a USB problem with one solution is never going to work. This is going to sound like a freaken marketing answer, but... You have basically 5 variables that can interact with each other:

  1. Power
  2. USB Cable Data integrity
  3. USB Cable power
  4. Device
  5. Host

 

Thanks. I know this is the current situation and people like yourself are doing the best to work with the complexities of these interacting factors. 

 

With fiber optic Ethernet perhaps there are less variables. The cables are of uniformly great quality. Likewise transceivers but you can always swap SFP modules. So you eliminate 1,2,3 and just deal with device & host ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wgscott   

Wouldn't it be more cost-effective to find someone who already owns the testing equipment to do the tests in exchange for buying them beer for the remainder of their life or something like that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
esldude   
46 minutes ago, wgscott said:

Wouldn't it be more cost-effective to find someone who already owns the testing equipment to do the tests in exchange for buying them beer for the remainder of their life or something like that?

Wish I could like this 100 times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mansr   
48 minutes ago, wgscott said:

Wouldn't it be more cost-effective to find someone who already owns the testing equipment to do the tests in exchange for buying them beer for the remainder of their life or something like that?

So we're looking for an octogenarian with a lab?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, wgscott said:

Wouldn't it be more cost-effective to find someone who already owns the testing equipment to do the tests in exchange for buying them beer for the remainder of their life or something like that?

In that case, I own the required test equipment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mansr   
3 minutes ago, mansr said:

So we're looking for an octogenarian with a lab?

I suppose a golden retriever is close enough to a lab. How old are you, Bill?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jtwrace   
On 6/7/2017 at 4:34 PM, Miska said:

 

...that's why I always prefer sticking to measure the DAC output instead of any intermediate step... I can replace things from DAC upstream and see how it affects (or not) things that come out from the DAC. That's in the end what matters. And quite many of the interactions actually happen inside the DAC, even though some upstream equipment's involvement is needed for that thing.

Exactly!  Output is damn important.  Hence the reason Amir was doing what he did...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wgscott   
15 hours ago, mansr said:

I suppose a golden retriever is close enough to a lab. How old are you, Bill?

 

I'm 54, and I do have a lab (although different -- and for this, irrelevant equipment), and hardly ever drink, so a lifetime supply of beer would only put you back a few bucks/pounds/rubles/scheckles/euros/turkish lira.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rando   
1 hour ago, wgscott said:

 

I'm 54, and I do have a lab (although different -- and for this, irrelevant equipment), and hardly ever drink, so a lifetime supply of beer would only put you back a few bucks/pounds/rubles/scheckles/euros/turkish lira.

 

Spoken like a man who can look self improvement in the eye and walk in the other direction.  xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×