IGNORED

Would forum members chip in $$ for a USB analyzer

6 minutes ago, jabbr said:

I guess it depends on what you are looking to test. What general test equipment do you have?

Since Alex posited via the images he posted, and so many here are backing him, ergo it stands to reason that we would be concerned with Eye Pattern tests.

2 minutes ago, plissken said:

Since Alex posited via the images he posted, and so many here are backing him, ergo it stands to reason that we would be concerned with Eye Pattern tests.

Heck, let's just grant that the eye pattern test is "improved". So what? How does that actually, measurably, help the DAC?

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

3 minutes ago, plissken said:

In addition, I'd think it should measure error rates and latency.  It would be very useful if there was a way to quantify their effect on the (various) DAC outputs.

2 hours ago, plissken said:

Instead of guessing the S.I. (signal integrity) of your computer is buggered, would people here want to chip in on a USB analyzer to see if their USB output is even compromised?

I would chip in a token amount if there was a paypal account.

mQa is dead!

24 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Heck, let's just grant that the eye pattern test is "improved". So what? How does that actually, measurably, help the DAC?

I don't care because, as the title of the thread suggests, we are testing the native eye pattern of someones computer. If it's clean like in the Tekronix image I posted then there is no need for a regen type device in the confines of S.I. of the Eye Pattern.

2 minutes ago, plissken said:

To do S.I. Eye measurements we are talking about ~$800 for a scope, probes, and break out board.

That doesn't sound right. Such products cost in excess of $10k. What device are you looking at?

5 minutes ago, mansr said:

That doesn't sound right. Such products cost in excess of $10k. What device are you looking at?

You're correct. Just looking for a way to just get clear data.

I'm assuming that a protocol analyzer isn't going to do anything for anyone.

8 minutes ago, plissken said:

You're correct. Just looking for a way to just get clear data.

I'm assuming that a protocol analyzer isn't going to do anything for anyone.

A protocol analyser will tell you if there are transmission errors or higher level protocol violations. They are useful mainly when developing hardware. If we trust the host and device to be well-behaved and use reasonable cables, an analyser isn't of much use. Granted, there are many USB devices out there that don't quite follow spec, but DACs from reputable vendors are usually fine. Besides, if the DAC is misbehaving, it won't be fixed by inserting some gizmo in the chain anyhow.

A few questions :

This USB analyzer. Is this a group buy ?, aka more than one. 

What "deal" is being made for more than one unit /

Whom decides on the unit to purchase ?

Where would the device be kept ?, which country or countries

Who pays for shipping from one user to the next ?

Whom handles the unit or units should they need repair ?

Whom is going to react when someone fails to return the unit ?

The Truth Is Out There

Instead of a protocol analyzer I'd invest in:

1: (generally) a good high speed oscilloscope (can do eye patterns)

2: high resolution spectrum analyzer

3: vector signal analyzer

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

I agree with Speed Racer perhaps new DACs should move away from USB. Maybe something like Thunderbolt.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa