IGNORED

How much better is SMS-200 Ultra than regular SMS-200?

Just curious what your thoughts were on SMS-200->tx-USBUltra with external clock mod vs SMS-200Ultra ->tx-USBUltra.  I know there's very few in the wild but as an upgrade path, there are m,any SMS-200 users here.  So essentailly SMS-200 with ultra clock external vs SMS-200Ultra.

I ordered the sms-200ultra with the sps-500 and am due to gt it next week if all goes to plan. My understanding is that the sms-200 + external clock and the sms-200ultra will produce very similar results. I was told by Elite Audio that the sms200ultra uses better quality components and if that is true than the sms200ultra might be slightly better.

May i ask what's the function of the tx-USBUltra in your chain. is it to provide more than one usb output?

Custom built silent Media PC, Synology DS415+ NAS -> SoTM sms200Ultra/sps500  -> TAD DA1000 DAC/preamp and Bryston 4BSST2 power amp -> Harbeth SHL5 speakers and Velodyne DD10+ subwoofers. PowerQuest Carbon USB cable, Chord Company Chorus interconnects, Chord Company Signature speaker leads, Clearer Audio Silver-Line power leads

• 4 weeks later...

As far as I know both the 200 Ultra and the USBUltra use the same clock module - sCLK-EX. In theory that could mean one don't have to buy both units, right? Or will a USB regen unit add something else to the party?

Sonus Faber Amati Futura, Oppo 105 (transport), Gryphon Diablo 300 with DAC, Brinkmann Bardo, 10.0 tone arm, Lyra Etna, Isotek Sigmas Evo 3, Nordost Valhalla cables, Stillpoints Ultra and Mini.

SMS-200Ultra will sound better than the SMS-200 Mod through TX-USBUltra period.

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,
CASSOtM Trifecta Mod 75ohm MCI, TheLinearSolution TCXO Router

Analog: SME 20/2, SME V, Skala, Esoteric C03 Phono

Thats great news. Just what I was hoping to read.

What equipment/cables did you use for you evaluation?'

Did you try the SMS-200 Ultra with and with out the TX-USB Ultra? 

Sonus Faber Amati Futura, Oppo 105 (transport), Gryphon Diablo 300 with DAC, Brinkmann Bardo, 10.0 tone arm, Lyra Etna, Isotek Sigmas Evo 3, Nordost Valhalla cables, Stillpoints Ultra and Mini.

18 hours ago, ismewor said:

SMS-200Ultra will sound better than the SMS-200 Mod through TX-USBUltra period.

Can you elaborate why is it better? To my understanding SMS-200 Ultra is the the SMS-200 with sCLK-EX board. TX-USB Ultra also has sCLK-EX board. So with modded SMS-200, one of the clock the unuse clock tap from TX_USB output is use to connect to SMS-200. So with modedd SMS-200 with TX-USB Ultra should be better with just SMS-200Ultra alone (with the added benefit of USB regeneration by TX-USB Ultra). Just my speculation. 

"Its the REF clock that makes it all so good..."

On 7/11/2017 at 7:45 AM, Kritpoon said:

Can you elaborate why is it better? To my understanding SMS-200 Ultra is the the SMS-200 with sCLK-EX board. TX-USB Ultra also has sCLK-EX board. So with modded SMS-200, one of the clock the unuse clock tap from TX_USB output is use to connect to SMS-200. So with modedd SMS-200 with TX-USB Ultra should be better with just SMS-200Ultra alone (with the added benefit of USB regeneration by TX-USB Ultra). Just my speculation. 

Simple put will be internal onboard clock vs external wire clock. so the distance will diminish the accuracy of the clock. Hope this help.

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,

On 7/10/2017 at 3:14 PM, bigblue said:

Thats great news. Just what I was hoping to read.

What equipment/cables did you use for you evaluation?'

Did you try the SMS-200 Ultra with and with out the TX-USB Ultra? 

Yes, i tried but i like the USBUltra with my usb external storage sound better with connect with the SMS-200 Ultra. you might have different taste. 

I use Chord Dave, and Wire world Platinum USB and Siltech Ruby Mountain 2 for power.