IGNORED

What's the best way to rip CDs to a Mac?

I generalized my knowledges about CD audio rippers and re-work the article "How to Choose the Best CD Ripping Software" (quality issues, safe/unsafe ripping, other)

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

• 1 month later...

I need a recommendation for an external optical drive specifically for ripping to use with my last years MacBook Pro (ideally with USB-C connectivity without adapter).

My searches found a lot of discontinued models and mostly reviews about blue-ray performance. Should as accurate as possible and fast reading speed at the same time because I find ripping boring!

18 minutes ago, monteverdi said:

I need a recommendation for an external optical drive specifically for ripping to use with my last years MacBook Pro (ideally with USB-C connectivity without adapter).

My searches found a lot of discontinued models and mostly reviews about blue-ray performance. Should as accurate as possible and fast reading speed at the same time because I find ripping boring!

I have used this drive for quite  a while and it is excellent!

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MR3UBDRW16/

You would have to buy a USB 3.0 to USB C cable.

• 2 months later...
On ‎30‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:40 AM, Paul V K said:

Love it's ability to insert ReplayGain tags, identify HDCD discs and create FLAC files with no compression (which apparently is different than compression level 0).

Paul

Are you able to hear the differences between normal compressed .flac files, and .flac files with no compression when played "on  the fly", as distinct from those first converted back to their original format before playing them ? 

Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

8 hours ago, sandyk said:

Paul

Are you able to hear the differences between normal compressed .flac files, and .flac files with no compression when played "on  the fly", as distinct from those first converted back to their original format before playing them ? 

Sandy,

When I started playing music files a few years ago, I tested the whether I could hear the difference between the original WAV and a Flac encoded version.  At first, I absolutely could.

Then I had a friend come over to help, and had him select the music such that I no longer know whether he was playing the wav or flac.  At that point, a lot of the differences I had previously heard went bye-bye, and I could no longer reliably tell the difference.

I like the fact that dBpowerAmp can apply a FLAC container without applying any compression, primarily because storage is dirt cheep and it makes me feel warm and fuzzy ;)    It's abilities to decode HDCD cd's, add ReplayGain tags, and metadata capabilities is what really makes that software shine for me.

Bryston BDP-3 > Bryston BDA-3 > Levinson 526 > Levinson 532 > Revel Salon2

• 4 months later...