IGNORED

What's the best way to rip CDs to a Mac?

3 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

So if we are going to look to something beyond just the built-in error-correction circuitry of a specific drive, then the question is, which data(base) is more reliable: Your CD drive comparison experiment of 20 or 30 drives at a particular moment in time, or the AccurateRip database with (in the case of most CDs) dozens or 100s of identical results from all kinds of different drives, at various stages in their service lives, across the world at different times and in different physical environments? To me - and apparently to most others - the answer is that the AccurateRip database is imperfect but far more reliable than the alternative measurement system you propose.

Here are mixed "method of CD ripping system estimation" and "method of CD ripping". You can't compare these things.

In my link above suggested "method of CD ripping system estimation", not "method of CD ripping".

This link don't "sell CD ripping method".

5 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

That said, my understanding is that some software (CUE Tools maybe?) enables the repair of flawed rips by referencing accumulated online data from good rips.

No. Stand alone systems.

Without numbers of probability of error detection for different CD ripping methods, discussion "what ripper is the best" can prove nothing.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

4 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

If you cannot answer this question yourself, and you have not or will not do the research to find out, then you have no business asking others, and you should stop posting in this thread.

I claim nothing. I learn a CD ripping.

But I see claims about advantages of some methods of CD ripping.

And I expect clear proofs to the claims.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

26 minutes ago, audiventory said:

Very common flaw in internet discussion: Person raises irrelevant or implausible issue, provides no proof, but demands that others provide proof that he is mistaken. No dice.

The OP used to rip CDs in iTunes. iTunes is well-documented to periodically produce audibly flawed CD rips, even using its "error correction" mode. Ripping a bunch of CDs with iTunes, and then gradually hearing audible problems with some of them during subsequent, gradual listening is what originally led me to seek out secure ripping apps. And based on what I've read here at CA, at the Steve Hoffman forums, and elsewhere online, it's what led many other Mac users (and perhaps some Windows users) to seek out secure ripping apps too.

Secure ripping apps are vastly better than iTunes for accurately ripping CDs, particular, as the OP asked, on a Mac. The OP never asked about theoretical or statistical questions of perfection. And you have provided absolutely, positively zero evidence that secure ripping apps are anything but near-perfect, close enough to perfect that they are functionally if not statistically perfect.

The problem here is not that you are right and others are wrong. The problem here is not whether or not you're making claims (which you absolutely are - and your claims have zero data to back them up). The problem is one of bad behavior and apparently an inability to pick up on social cues: Your concern is irrelevant to this thread. Start your own thread. It's not difficult.

6 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

Very common flaw in internet discussion: Person raises irrelevant or implausible issue, provides no proof, but demands that others provide proof that he is mistaken. No dice.

The OP used to rip CDs in iTunes. iTunes is well-documented to periodically produce audibly flawed CD rips, even using its "error correction" mode. Ripping a bunch of CDs with iTunes, and then gradually hearing audible problems with some of them during subsequent, gradual listening is what originally led me to seek out secure ripping apps. And based on what I've read here at CA, at the Steve Hoffman forums, and elsewhere online, it's what led many other Mac users (and perhaps some Windows users) to seek out secure ripping apps too.

Secure ripping apps are vastly better than iTunes for accurately ripping CDs, particular, as the OP asked, on a Mac. The OP never asked about theoretical or statistical questions of perfection. And you have provided absolutely, positively zero evidence that secure ripping apps are anything but near-perfect, close enough to perfect that they are functionally if not statistically perfect.

The problem here is not that you are right and others are wrong. The problem here is not whether or not you're making claims (which you absolutely are - and your claims have zero data to back them up). The problem is one of bad behavior and apparently an inability to pick up on social cues: Your concern is irrelevant to this thread. Start your own thread. It's not difficult.

Thank you for your opinion.

4 hours ago, audiventory said:

Yuri: I use your software for my own ripping (SACDs) its an outstanding format conversion product! You clearly know what you are talking about here.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

One problem with ripping and databases is that CDs with an identical title can be different which is apparent if one looks at the track time which can vary a second or more between different production runs. I discussed that issue with Roon's Enno Vandermeer and he can confirmed that in databases it can become apparent for frequently ripped titles.

But what one has a rare and obscure CD?

47 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

I've worked software developers my entire adult life. Writing good or even great software does not mean the writer understands anything about the real world situations the software is used in. In this case, Yuri does not understand what works best for most people in most situations. He is focused on outlier cases that don't matter to 99.99% of the people using rippers.

I'm agree with you, I know nothing in CD rippers.

41 minutes ago, monteverdi said:

But what one has a rare and obscure CD?

Only stand-alone multistage error control. It to do:

1. Reading raw data with error flags, that detected by CD drive (1 flag per 1 byte of audio data)

2. Re-reading several times with attempt of elimination of data buffer (almost same for different safe CD rippers)

3. Statistical processing of reading resuls (different implementations).

In step #3 my software analyze audio data and error streams to decide propable restoration or not.

If restoration is probably, set "hypothetically correct" data instead "hypothetically damaged" ones and display that restoration is done.

If restoration may not be performed, fatal error is displayed.

Unfortunatelly, I don't know probability of event when simultinously:

1. error detection flags show OK for several re-readings;

2. binary audio data will same for several re-readings.

3. in binary audio content error is appear.

I can't damage test CDRs such way yet. Probably there need more precise damaging.

2 hours ago, jabbr said:

Yuri: I use your software for my own ripping (SACDs) its an outstanding format conversion product! You clearly know what you are talking about here.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, monteverdi said:

Yes if the sample number is big enough = no problem but for esoteric music?

Buy Yuri's software... :)

In reality, it really isn't much of a problem. I've ripped thousands of CDs including hundreds of rare Japanese CDs and I can only remember four or five that weren't in the AccurateRip database.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

29 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Buy Yuri's software... :)

In reality, it really isn't much of a problem. I've ripped thousands of CDs including hundreds of rare Japanese CDs and I can only remember four or five that weren't in the AccurateRip database.

And "100% of demans" are covered :)

I suppose, not only my software can attempt to recover data. It is obvious idea.

But I don't know what it is software. And may be difference in implementation.

1 minute ago, GUTB said:

As far as I know, only iTunes will properly rip CDs with pre-emphasis.

iTunes correct amplitude-frequency response?

As I remind of this forum, an expert in designing and building CD / DVD writers / reader said,  is the writer / reader with a decent LPSU the most important thing.

Database based as XLD means nothing, because nobody knows if this database is correct.

I use iTunes under error correction with a good CD reader / writer and a LPSU, no double head, then no DVD capability, without problems. I found XLD is, sometimes,  a pain the a...

Just my opinion,

Roch

• 3 weeks later...

itune is the most easiest way to do this. However, I use XLD

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,
CASSOtM Trifecta Mod 75ohm MCI, TheLinearSolution TCXO Router

Analog: SME 20/2, SME V, Skala, Esoteric C03 Phono

I spent days and weeks some years ago to find the best way to rip CD's to a Mac.

If " best " means for you as it means for me : an exact copy, error free, with all the bits at their right place, you could export your CD as a DDP. 

I used DDP Creator (Pro) from Sonoris to export all my CDs to my Mac.

Result is perfect.

There are, however, some drawbacks : 

- CD is exported as a folder containing specific files. Music tracks are in a single file " IMAGE.DAT ". You cannot see the separates tracks anymore.

- You need a player that can read DDP. I use soundBlade SE (wich plays AIFF & FLAC files from dowloaded music too). DDP Creator (Pro) can of course read DDP.

- Basic metadata. I don't really care, but important for others.

If these points are not a problem for you, here is the best rip possible.

William

Mac Mini 2012 SSD > Weiss INT203 > Lavry DA10 > Audio Analogue Puccini Settanta r2 > Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 bookshelf.

CD's exported as DDP and AIFF downloaded files [44 to 192 KHz] played by soundBlade 2.2.

Everything matters, including if the girl loves you or not.

19 minutes ago, William said:

I spent days and weeks some years ago to find the best way to rip CD's to a Mac.

If " best " means for you as it means for me : an exact copy, error free, with all the bits at their right place, you could export your CD as a DDP. 

I used DDP Creator (Pro) from Sonoris to export all my CDs to my Mac.

Result is perfect.

There are, however, some drawbacks : 

- CD is exported as a folder containing specific files. Music tracks are in a single file " IMAGE.DAT ". You cannot see the separates tracks anymore.

- You need a player that can read DDP. I use soundBlade SE (wich plays AIFF & FLAC files from dowloaded music too). DDP Creator (Pro) can of course read DDP.

- Basic metadata. I don't really care, but important for others.

If these points are not a problem for you, here is the best rip possible.

William

I fail to see how this method is better than using something like dBpoweramp with AccurateRip. In fact, it has the major draw backs of leaving you without metadata and no individual track files. 

11 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

I fail to see how this method is better than using something like dBpoweramp with AccurateRip. In fact, it has the major draw backs of leaving you without metadata and no individual track files. 

Not to mention the inability to use most players or stream the files over a home network.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Converting album to single file may be useful, when audio player (hardware or software) have no gapless playback ability.