IGNORED

Best way to stream Apple lossless files

I'm sure this topic has been previously discussed but can someone please help me find a good way to stream Apple lossless files to my home stereo?  I currently am running Google CCA to a dac then to my amplifier. However I can't find a way to stream the Apple files. Is there a way to be able to stream those plus services such as Pamdora? 

IThanks for the reply. I should explain it better. I have a bunch of songs on my Windows based laptop hard drive but they are playable using iTunes since they were ripped using the iTunes conversion. 

I also have have a bunch of music on an iPhone and iPad which were purchased from Apple Music. And I would also like to stream music from the services like Pandora, Tidal etc. 

So I guess my question is, is there a way to stream those different sources to my home stereo?  Ideally I would love to do it using one wifi device, but I don't know if that's possible. 

5 hours ago, Aolama said:

IThanks for the reply. I should explain it better. I have a bunch of songs on my Windows based laptop hard drive but they are playable using iTunes since they were ripped using the iTunes conversion. 

I also have have a bunch of music on an iPhone and iPad which were purchased from Apple Music. And I would also like to stream music from the services like Pandora, Tidal etc. 

So I guess my question is, is there a way to stream those different sources to my home stereo?  Ideally I would love to do it using one wifi device, but I don't know if that's possible. 

Sonos Connect is your answer. It is the only thing I know that can handle all of that. And it does it with ease and grace. Use the coax out into your dac.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

huh -it's $350

I don't know if it would fit all your needs but I paid about that for a mac mini, moved my iTunes albums over, and stream them to a $40 Apple TV3 which feeds into a DAC.  Plus I have a nice UNIX OS & shell with better everything* in a computer.

* "everything" does not include datalogger packages, old statistics packages and MS Word keyboard commands are not as good; Your mileage may vary; closed road course with perfessional driver; not available in all states

11 hours ago, Aolama said:

I just took a look at that. It does sound quite promising. Anyone have have experience with it?  Any other suggestions?

been using sonos for 10 years -- pretty good sound from the coax out.  can't beat the functionality on the app and the streaming services incorporated.

for $350, given the capabilities, it's a good deal.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

I ran across a WhatHiFi article regarding Sonos products and it also mentioned other streamers such as the Pioneer N50a, Cambridge CXN and Arcam rPlay. Are these also able to do the same things?  They do look much more expensive though. On the flip side I guess I could go the ultra cheap method by picking up an Apple TV and running it alongside the Google CCA, if that would even work. It definitely would not be the most aesthetically pleasing set-up though...

Yes, there are many network audio file players aka renderers aka streamers out there that can stream Apple lossless (ALAC) files, most of which support industry standard UPnP/DLNA media file streaming, such as those three "other streamers" you've mentioned. However, there are some notable exceptions that use a proprietary audio file streaming mechanism, either strictly their own (eg, Sonos & Bluesound) or can be used by other manufacturers (eg Apple AirPlay supporting devices).

Support for direct access to online streaming services varies from streamer to streamer, so you'll need to decide which online services you are actually interested in and do your research.

Having said all of that, there are free software ways of doing what you require with what you already have, ie, the Google Chromecast Audio and the Windows laptop - so no need even to get the Apple TV. This does assume that you are ok with using just the laptop for control and that you are able transfer all the music files you require from the iPhone & iPad to it.

If that's not quite the solution and if you are ok with a bit of DIY, you could try making your own AirPlay & UPNP/DLNA supporting streamer using an inexpensive small single board computer, such as a Raspberry Pi.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox