IGNORED

Recommendations Needed for the Best Traditional Jazz Albums

Hey Guys, I'd really like to learn about some of the best current and classic jazz CDs available. I'm already familiar with Kind of BlueTime Out and Giant Steps but that's pretty much the extent of it for me. I know there must be other great jazz albums out there that have somehow flown under my radar all these years. 

I just started steaming some music, and I know Spotify will likely have most of your suggestions.

Thanks for your help,

Steve

It is very difficult to select several recommendations from hundreds and hundreds of jazz recordings outside of Kind of Blue or Giant Steps... If you would only narrow to specific style or instrument, or period of time. It may be useful to google and check Penguin Guide to Jazz: Crown Albums List. There is no ultimate "list" of jazz recordings, and wouldn't be, but this one looks quite sensible and may be used to start.

The PBS special is also very worthwhile (despite some backlash on historical issues).  The albums you mentioned are not usually considered Trad jazz, but a visit to NoLa will allow you to hear live interpretations of it at various places, assuming you don't spend all your time listening to Bounce, Funk, etc.

No problem - everyone starts somewhere.  I think you'll find the PBS series useful & enjoyable.  Many libraries have it on DVD.

you found some things you like and want more related things.  I often do this both with music and book authors (and it is used in animal search strategies too, like birds looking for insects).

So.. you want to fish around for more Miles & Trane, but both went into different types of sounds, esp. Davis and some of it is not.. euphonic.  Love Supreme is a great one... maybe listen to Coltrane Plays the Blues.

For Brubeck, Adventures in Time is one to listen to.

And for a decade or two later you could listen to some of the players in California in the 1970s, many of them on the California Concert album.

16 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

It may be useful to google and check Penguin Guide to Jazz: Crown Albums List.

Thank you for that! 

http://www.tomhull.com/ocston/nm/notes/pjazz-crown.php

http://www.tomhull.com/ocston/nm/notes/pjazz-core.php

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

11 hours ago, Melvin said:

There are so many good ones ..

+1 A very nice choice IMO.

I'd add Miles Davis 'Kind of Blue' (absolutely!) and let's say (hard to choose 2 or 3, got his 100+ albums) - 'Round About Midnight' and 'In a Silent Way' or 'Bitches Brew' (the last  two are from his fusion - jazz-rock period).

@Route 66 You probably meant mainstream jazz not traditional one. Good luck with your jazz adventure!

12 hours ago, Melvin said:

Some current jazz artists worth a listen:

• Emmet Cohen
  • Go Go Penguin
  • Mathew Halsall
  • Dave Peck
  • Giovanni Mirabassi
  • Enrico Pieranunzi
  • David Hazeltine
  • Tord Gustavsen
  • Joshua Redman

So many ..

Add trumpet player Etienne Charles to this list. I heard him for the first time today on SiriusXM's Real Jazz channel. He smoked it. 

I also discovered trumpet player Brian Lynch on Band Camp. Very good.

9 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

I am not sure OP wants traditional jazz or good jazz of any style?...

Sorry for my confusion; Sphinxsis clarified for me that what I was actually asking for were mainsteam jazz recommendations and not traditional jazz suggestions.

21 minutes ago, Route 66 said:

Sorry for my confusion; Sphinxsis clarified for me that what I was actually asking for were mainsteam jazz recommendations and not traditional jazz suggestions.

Do not be sorry) Critics invented terminology which is often very confusing by itself. And, good music is good music with or without any label and in each and every style..) Wish you lot of great discoveries in jazz and other music!

It's a taxonomy issue.  And like many evolutionary lineages, it starts out pretty linear in time and then bursts into many later on, like a starburst in 4th of july fireworks.*

My take is that currently, jazz is in a period of re-examination since pretty much all forms have been pioneered.

Again, that PBS series is a good intro and will help with discovering what you like.

* I still don't know what to do with Mingus tho.

Ah Um...