IGNORED

Shopping for audiophile grade speakers

Once you're into the 4k range, there are plenty of options to consider! It definitely pays off to shop around and find something that you'll be happy with in the long term.

I'd particularly recommend to take a look at Dynaudios. The new focus is very competitively priced, the active Xeos are great options if you're happy with the idea of active speakers (your pockets will). 

Among the ones mentioned, I particularly dislike Focal (must try before you buy) and I was unimpressed by PSB for the price honestly. I haven't heard ATC - didn't know they did anything in this price range - however their build quality is far from spectacular imho.

On 6/3/2017 at 1:07 AM, WynnHiFi said:

Looking back at all the speakers I’ve owned since high school, they all have one thing in common – heavy on bass.  And secondly – most utilized horn tweeters.  Many different low cost speakers and a few DIY builds have flanked my big-name-brand audio components over the years.  After researching computer driven digital audio playback, I found CA.  I soon planned a budget audiophile starter system with contingencies for future upgrades.  Speakers needed to produce audiophile clarity and detail from highs to lows.  Originally, the plan was to purchase a pair of Magnepan’s MMG and later upgrade to 3.7i.  I knew the Maggies would need a demanding amp.  I chose Odyssey Audio amps for their price and reputation.  (Klaus set the voltage output for the amps specially for the Maggies.)  But, after reading many reviews and forum posts about the Maggies, a disturbing trend emerged – unsatisfying bass and a narrow listening area.  So, I started looking at other audiophile grade speakers with budget prices that could fill my bass needs.  The following is a list of potential candidates.

Group One, < 4k: In my budget

·      Spatial Audio Hologram M3

·      Tekton Design Double Impact

·      GoldenEar Technology Triton Two

·      Klipsch Reference RF-7 II

Group Two, > 4k: A little out of my budget (but might be willing to make sacrifices if absolutely blown away)

·      GoldenEar Technology Triton One

·      Volti Audio Rival

·      Zu Audio Druid

·      Monitor Audio Gold 300

Now the question is, which one?  I might hear two of the brands in a high-end audio shop in Tampa, and the others I may have visit an audio show.  Now, that is something I’m considering, possibly RMAF in October.  Is there something missing from my list?  Am I giving up on the Maggies before I’ve auditioned them?  My deadline is the end of December to find the winning speaker.

Take reviews with a grain of salt, they can tell you the weaknesses of a speaker but they can't tell you which speaker will "click" with your personal sound preferences. If you like the speaker, have trialed  its weak points and don't find them to be a deal breaker, you will have a happy purchase.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I certainly wouldnt rule out Maggies due to bass performance. Main reason being that if I were looking to purchase Maggies I would also expect to include a pair of Subs to go with them.

As long as the Maggie in question had the capability on its own to deliver a clean 100db of output excluding the bass range then you should be fairly happy when including a set of subs to go with them.

1 hour ago, cjf said:

I certainly wouldnt rule out Maggies due to bass performance. Main reason being that if I were looking to purchase Maggies I would also expect to include a pair of Subs to go with them.

As long as the Maggie in question had the capability on its own to deliver a clean 100db of output excluding the bass range then you should be fairly happy when including a set of subs to go with them.

We should all understand  some folks prefer scotch to bourbon... and take the same lesson to heart on speakers. I would never recommend  maggies to someone  who was a Fender bass devotee.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

A long at-home audition period is very important.

Even when I was dissatisfied with my speakers, it took me a long time to appreciate a speaker that deviated too much from the coloration of my existing speakers.

While many audiophiles lament the demise of brick-and-mortar dealers, I prefer buying online with a 14 or 30-day return privilege.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Dealer auditions are most useful if the auditioning room is acoustically similar to your home listening room, which rarely is true except for very small dealers.  

Auditioning rooms more often are large and lined with sound-deadening panels, leading you to select speakers that will be too bright when you bring them home.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

• 2 months later...

I’ve had an opportunity to audition a variety of speakers from several shops, most outside of my price range.  After hearing the Magico S3MKII, everything sounded disappointing. 

Including –

• KEF R-series
  • Martin Logan ESL series
  • Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT
  • B&W 803
  • Focal Sopra N°3.

(Listed from least to best.) 

But the Magico… unbelievable.  I skipped my appointments to hear the GoldenEar Reference and the Maggie 20.7, since they are out of my price range, and the furthest drive times.  And also, because I was coveting the S3’s.  I was comparing everything to them and not to my current speakers. 

After the owner of the shop with the Magico's realized I wasn’t going to purchase speakers in the $16,000 and over category, we had an honest conversation about the speakers that he previously owned.  Including which, was a pair of Maggies.  He was able to dispel the negative myth of hard to drive, and confirmed others.  He basically said that despite the flaws, they sounded extraordinary. 

I was planning to make other changes to my two-channel system this year (like a new DAC, tube preamp, Roon, and cables).  They are on hold for now, because I wanted the Magico’s so much, I was willing to forgo any other upgrades and just buy speakers.

To take my mind off the Magico’s for a while, I’ve decided to build my own version of Bob Crites Cornscala.  I had all of the drivers on hand and recently ordered the crossover parts to get this project moving.  I need to start testing cabinet sizes for each of the cone drivers.  So far, I’ve spent just less than $1,000.  This should keep my hands and mind busy for the next several months.  By the time the testing and tweaking is completed, either I design a finished cabinet with some exotic wood, or… 

I have some time to think about what I want to do.

NUC >  M5 > May KTE > Bliss KTE > Headphone of the day

8 hours ago, WynnHiFi said:

I’ve had an opportunity to audition a variety of speakers from several shops, most outside of my price range.  After hearing the Magico S3MKII, everything sounded disappointing. 

Including –

• KEF R-series
  • Martin Logan ESL series
  • Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT
  • B&W 803
  • Focal Sopra N°3.

(Listed from least to best.) 

But the Magico… unbelievable.  I skipped my appointments to hear the GoldenEar Reference and the Maggie 20.7, since they are out of my price range, and the furthest drive times.  And also, because I was coveting the S3’s.  I was comparing everything to them and not to my current speakers. 

After the owner of the shop with the Magico's realized I wasn’t going to purchase speakers in the $16,000 and over category, we had an honest conversation about the speakers that he previously owned.  Including which, was a pair of Maggies.  He was able to dispel the negative myth of hard to drive, and confirmed others.  He basically said that despite the flaws, they sounded extraordinary. 

I was planning to make other changes to my two-channel system this year (like a new DAC, tube preamp, Roon, and cables).  They are on hold for now, because I wanted the Magico’s so much, I was willing to forgo any other upgrades and just buy speakers.

To take my mind off the Magico’s for a while, I’ve decided to build my own version of Bob Crites Cornscala.  I had all of the drivers on hand and recently ordered the crossover parts to get this project moving.  I need to start testing cabinet sizes for each of the cone drivers.  So far, I’ve spent just less than $1,000.  This should keep my hands and mind busy for the next several months.  By the time the testing and tweaking is completed, either I design a finished cabinet with some exotic wood, or… 

I have some time to think about what I want to do.

Well transducers are where it is at.  You can skimp heavily, I do mean heavily on everything else with little consequence.  Not the speakers.

Now I don't know that nothing can compete with the Magico S3, but any serious competitor is not likely very cheap. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I don't expect to build anything comparable to the S3. The plan is to build something better than my current speakers and to delay the impulse to through down a large sum of money for new speakers that cost as much as a new car. 

1 hour ago, WynnHiFi said:

I don't expect to build anything comparable to the S3. The plan is to build something better than my current speakers and to delay the impulse to through down a large sum of money for new speakers that cost as much as a new car. 

What are your current speakers?

On 6/3/2017 at 1:07 AM, WynnHiFi said:

Looking back at all the speakers I’ve owned since high school, they all have one thing in common – heavy on bass.  And secondly – most utilized horn tweeters.  Many different low cost speakers and a few DIY builds have flanked my big-name-brand audio components over the years.  After researching computer driven digital audio playback, I found CA.  I soon planned a budget audiophile starter system with contingencies for future upgrades.  Speakers needed to produce audiophile clarity and detail from highs to lows.  Originally, the plan was to purchase a pair of Magnepan’s MMG and later upgrade to 3.7i.  I knew the Maggies would need a demanding amp.  I chose Odyssey Audio amps for their price and reputation.  (Klaus set the voltage output for the amps specially for the Maggies.)  But, after reading many reviews and forum posts about the Maggies, a disturbing trend emerged – unsatisfying bass and a narrow listening area.  So, I started looking at other audiophile grade speakers with budget prices that could fill my bass needs.  The following is a list of potential candidates.

Group One, < 4k: In my budget

·      Spatial Audio Hologram M3

·      Tekton Design Double Impact

·      GoldenEar Technology Triton Two

·      Klipsch Reference RF-7 II

Group Two, > 4k: A little out of my budget (but might be willing to make sacrifices if absolutely blown away)

·      GoldenEar Technology Triton One

·      Volti Audio Rival

·      Zu Audio Druid

·      Monitor Audio Gold 300

Now the question is, which one?  I might hear two of the brands in a high-end audio shop in Tampa, and the others I may have visit an audio show.  Now, that is something I’m considering, possibly RMAF in October.  Is there something missing from my list?  Am I giving up on the Maggies before I’ve auditioned them?  My deadline is the end of December to find the winning speaker.

IN Tampa, close to you down in the Lakewood Ranch area Suncoast Audio has some fine gear.  Also I've got a dealer of Focal, JBL, GoldenEar, Klipsch close by in my area.

The Truth Is Out There

Auditioned the Magico, Focal, and Vandersteen at Suncoast Audio.  The others and more at nearby shops.  On the way to Maximum Audio in Tampa, I decided to suspend my quest.  I also found out the the Magnepan dealer in Tampa is going out of business and didn't have any floorstanders on their showroom floor.

1 hour ago, WynnHiFi said:

Auditioned the Magico, Focal, and Vandersteen at Suncoast Audio.  The others and more at nearby shops.  On the way to Maximum Audio in Tampa, I decided to suspend my quest.  I also found out the the Magnepan dealer in Tampa is going out of business and didn't have any floorstanders on their showroom floor.

I think Liu of Audio Visions South is just moving to a new store.

The Truth Is Out There

Was disappointed with AVS, when I set up an audition, to find out on the way to the shop, that the only Magnepan model they had was the motorized MMC 2.

I may have gotten false info about the store closing from a secondary source.