IGNORED

Shopping for audiophile grade speakers

Shopping for audiophile grade speakers

Looking back at all the speakers I’ve owned since high school, they all have one thing in common – heavy on bass.  And secondly – most utilized horn tweeters.  Many different low cost speakers and a few DIY builds have flanked my big-name-brand audio components over the years.  After researching computer driven digital audio playback, I found CA.  I soon planned a budget audiophile starter system with contingencies for future upgrades.  Speakers needed to produce audiophile clarity and detail from highs to lows.  Originally, the plan was to purchase a pair of Magnepan’s MMG and later upgrade to 3.7i.  I knew the Maggies would need a demanding amp.  I chose Odyssey Audio amps for their price and reputation.  (Klaus set the voltage output for the amps specially for the Maggies.)  But, after reading many reviews and forum posts about the Maggies, a disturbing trend emerged – unsatisfying bass and a narrow listening area.  So, I started looking at other audiophile grade speakers with budget prices that could fill my bass needs.  The following is a list of potential candidates.

Group One, < 4k: In my budget

·      Spatial Audio Hologram M3

·      Tekton Design Double Impact

·      GoldenEar Technology Triton Two

·      Klipsch Reference RF-7 II

Group Two, > 4k: A little out of my budget (but might be willing to make sacrifices if absolutely blown away)

·      GoldenEar Technology Triton One

·      Volti Audio Rival

·      Zu Audio Druid

·      Monitor Audio Gold 300

Now the question is, which one?  I might hear two of the brands in a high-end audio shop in Tampa, and the others I may have visit an audio show.  Now, that is something I’m considering, possibly RMAF in October.  Is there something missing from my list?  Am I giving up on the Maggies before I’ve auditioned them?  My deadline is the end of December to find the winning speaker.

NUC >  M5 > May KTE > Bliss KTE > Headphone of the day

The last time I went to buy an improvement in my speakers:

I did plenty of reading--reviews, personal opinions, issues and problems...

I devised a short list...

I went listening everywhere I could--stores, get-togethers, friends...

Down to 1 for a serious listen--since I couldn't get a home audition (speakers too large and heavy and expensive) I went to the designer's/manufacturer's listening room (in his house actually), listened all day to my music and his, ate his food, visited the factory, talked for several hours, saw the speakers at every stage of construction, and eventually ordered a pair...

I was picked up at the airport, returned to the airport, and had my air fare refunded.

Let me suggest you need to do lots before you buy.

Greg

9 hours ago, GregWormald said:

The last time I went to buy an improvement in my speakers:

I did plenty of reading--reviews, personal opinions, issues and problems...

I devised a short list...

I went listening everywhere I could--stores, get-togethers, friends...

Down to 1 for a serious listen--since I couldn't get a home audition (speakers too large and heavy and expensive) I went to the designer's/manufacturer's listening room (in his house actually), listened all day to my music and his, ate his food, visited the factory, talked for several hours, saw the speakers at every stage of construction, and eventually ordered a pair...

I was picked up at the airport, returned to the airport, and had my air fare refunded.

Let me suggest you need to do lots before you buy.

Greg

How much did/do your speakers cost?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

The golden ear that fits your budget will probably fulfill your needs.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

When listening to the Goldenear's give the Triton Five's a try.  I preferred the sound of these speakers over all there powered sub speakers.  I use a Rel sub for seamless integration, it sounds amazing for the price. Many users of the powered speakers still add a dedicated sub, that's a bit redundant and a lot power cords to deal with. 

Either way, Good luck.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

6 hours ago, semente said:

How much did/do your speakers cost?

They are 4-way active with 4 bass drivers, 650 watts/channel and at the time (5 years ago) cost 10,000 Australian dollars. They have since been upgraded to current drive (not voltage as most speakers/amps), new midrange driver, and the current retail in Australia is $20,000.

I don't know what the US price would be--SGR CX4F Mark 2.

Greg

7 hours ago, GregWormald said:

They are 4-way active with 4 bass drivers, 650 watts/channel and at the time (5 years ago) cost 10,000 Australian dollars. They have since been upgraded to current drive (not voltage as most speakers/amps), new midrange driver, and the current retail in Australia is $20,000.

I don't know what the US price would be--SGR CX4F Mark 2.

Greg

That sounds like a good value for 4-way sealed box pair of active speakers.

That topology has a high performance potential, even if I would rather see larger drivers for the mid- and low-bass.

If you don't need sensitive speakers I would also suggest that you stay away from the Zus and the Voltis, unless you are deliberately looking for a strong character (instead of accuracy).

@WynnHiFi -- @Norton makes a good suggestion with the Klipsch Cornwalls -- super nice sounding speakers.  So efficient that they only need a few watts.  Not exactly "pretty" speakers though.

I'm a big fan of Monitor Audio Gold series -- the 300s should be fabulous.  My 100s are super easy to drive and have a rich, warm-ish sound.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

Just one thing - speakers make the most difference in what you hear of any component, are large and hard to ship or move.

So spend some time evaluating the ones in your budget category.  Some have even done a fair amount of traveling to hear different one (tho it would be best to audition in your own room).  Some will also ship to you and while a return shipping cost of $200 may seem high, it is not really much compared to the price tag.

I didn't know Klipsch had released Forte 111s until I saw that post above.  Resurrection of another heritage model is quite a big deal for Klipsch fans.

If I was looking for new speakers in that price range they'd be top of my audition list, potentially better midrange than the Cornwalls, a little less obtrusive decor-wise and I think cheaper too.

On 6/4/2017 at 10:23 PM, Ralf11 said:

Just one thing - speakers make the most difference in what you hear of any component, are large and hard to ship or move.

So spend some time evaluating the ones in your budget category.  Some have even done a fair amount of traveling to hear different one (tho it would be best to audition in your own room).  Some will also ship to you and while a return shipping cost of $200 may seem high, it is not really much compared to the price tag.

+1, well said Ralf.

JC

4 hours ago, WynnHiFi said:

I haven't had the pleasure yet.  I do want to audition them before I make a purchase.  

Strongly recommend that you get a lengthy demo of the Maggie 20.1's. Amazing speakers that work on a whole different level of providing sonics.

JC

10 minutes ago, TubeLover said:

Strongly recommend that you get a lengthy demo of the Maggie 20.1's. Amazing speakers that work on a whole different level of providing sonics.

JC

and... they're CHEAP

(in relative terms)

Another vote here for PSB floor-standers. High value for the dollar IMO.

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.