IGNORED

Article: The Definitive Guide To Roon Optimized Core Kit (ROCK)

7 minutes ago, mdzaki said:

thank you very much for your help...so if i understood right i should get a dac that need no drivers ?

At a high level yes. But, there are some DACs that the NUC will have specific support even though they require drivers on Mac and Linux.

When it comes to Windows drivers, all DACs will require drivers for high resolution audio above 96k (Windows 10 Creators Update should support many DACs at above 96k).

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Just now, mdzaki said:

so i have to uninstall rock ... get win 10 installed back on my nuc in order to have my dac work again...btw what dac do you use if i may ask 

On that specific NUC, it appears that you will need to install Windows and the Windows driver provided by the manufacturer. I can't be 100% sure. 

I use a few different DACs such as a dCS Rossini, Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC RS2, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, among others. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

This is super useful and I will need the thorough instruction process.

I'm currently running Roon (server only and NAS/TIDAL) on a Mac Mini (SSD) so I have to weigh the price of the NUC with how much of an improvement I would hear.

I'm putting a NUC7i5bnk in an Akasa Plato 7, and have a couple of questions. Should I turn off the fan in the BIOS, and should I use the Akasa-supplied CPU/GPU heat sink pads or heat sink compound? Someone who documented his NUC-Akasa build on YouTube said Mastergel heat sink compound gave him much better thermal behavior than the pads.

1 hour ago, abrahavt said:

I am new to Roon so please bear with me. Followed all the instructions to set up ROCK. Think all went well. Any instructions to install Roon on the NUC?

If you setup ROCK, Roon is running on the NUC. Just launch a Roon remote from a computer or phone to complete setup. 

On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 5:00 AM, SMG said:

I'm putting a NUC7i5bnk in an Akasa Plato 7, and have a couple of questions. Should I turn off the fan in the BIOS, and should I use the Akasa-supplied CPU/GPU heat sink pads or heat sink compound? Someone who documented his NUC-Akasa build on YouTube said Mastergel heat sink compound gave him much better thermal behavior than the pads.

I haven't turned the fan off in the BIOS (not sure whether it would make any difference?). I used the Akasa-supplied heatsink pads. More info here

great thread...

question: what would you suggest for my outdated music server, which is pretty simple: go for a turnkey solution or do it myself?

sorry guys i'm no techie.

my simple rig:

10 yr old laptop (to be replaced soon) using Tidal streaming mostly..
uptone lps1 -> microrendu -> Roon/laptop/Tidal (laptop)-> iFi micro iDSD dac (soon to be upgraded to what i'm not sure..feel free to make suggestions under $3K) ** -> can/iems/powered focal alpha 50 desktop speakers
that's all folk.   of course i can't really use the Roon DSP upsampling as it's too damanding for my laptop.

What if I want to implement a bridged LAN connection to the mRendu?  I did this on my CAPS Zuma with improved SQ and would like to do it on the Roon ROCK.

2 channel : full Innuos suite / Black Cat USB cables / Kii Three BXT

Desktop : Innuos PulseMINI / Roon ROCK / SaBaj A20d amp-DAC / DCA E3 headphones

The Roon Rock NUC only has one LAN connection so maybe a USB/Ethernet adapter since I need two LANs to do a network bridge inside the NUC.

2 channel : full Innuos suite / Black Cat USB cables / Kii Three BXT

Desktop : Innuos PulseMINI / Roon ROCK / SaBaj A20d amp-DAC / DCA E3 headphones

I have ROCK 1.0.76 installed and it seemed the WLAN is not working. Keeps saying "searching for network address". Anyone got it working? WLAN turned on in BIOS. 

Ethernet connection is OK, but not wireless.

PowerConditioning: PS Audio UPC-200; Hdplex 300W

Server: Windows 2019-CORE+AO3+Jriver24/HQPlayer 

Source: Mytek Brooklyn Amp: Audio-GD C501, AVA Set 120

Speakers: Spendor SP2, Tannoy Saturn S10

Desktop: W10+Topping D90+Stax  SRS3100

On 02/06/2017 at 3:31 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

No problems at all with 312,505 tracks. Here's a little video. Keep in mind that in the ROCK is using all four cores to analyze the entire collection as I recorded this video. Its resources are taxed heavily during this process. 

how has your nuc been peforming since you installed rock with your large collection has it been stable?

regards

gary