IGNORED

New Speaker (Logitech Z533 or Micca MB42X)

I have an old Bose SoundDock Series 2 that I'm currently using for my setup. I'm finally kind of getting sick of it and have about $150 to spend. I will looking at the Logitech z533 as a replacement. First of all, if it worth getting new speakers if I'm using them for basic music creation and listening to lots and lots of music and if so, are the Logitech z533 a good choice? I was also looking at Micca PB4 2X... However, I it doesn't have a subwoofer. Will it still have good bass? I also have a mic (BM-800) that I am currently use. If I go with the Micca MB42 does anyone have any suggestions for an amplifier/phantom power source that I can use for both the Micca MB42 and my BM-800. My budget is around $150.

• 1 month later...

Hi!

Late reply...

I have no experiense with the other gear you are mentioning....But if you wan't monitors(more "critical" listening - mixing/mastering - "non professional"), i would recomend these:

www.amazon.com/Mackie-CR4-Pair-Reference-Multimedia/dp/B00KVEIY4O

They don't digg deep in bass, but has "cleaner" mids + hights. But for "fun - music listening" - This are my impressions/experiense of the "Logitech z533 performance" :

I got the Z533 a year ago on a sale, not expecting much... but for the money, i can not imagine how they do it!

They sound good, for the price - i can hardly belive my ears! I feed them from my old, but still good, pre amp Adcom GFP-555 ($700, 1988!). Pre out RCA to RCA in on the 533, volume on 533 set to "between 1/2 and max", bass "slide" between 1/2 and zero, then using Adcom vol pot, input sources, and the bass, treble controll's(if needed). Feed them from HP out initially - did not sound good! If you have a "pre" out source(or "line" out --> volume has to be controlled on the 533)), that's way better. (expensive RCA to RCA is "overkill", cheap one's works fine as long as they are stereo(+ not to long), avoid 3.5mm "HP" wire)

If you work a bit with positioning(never angle the satelites inwards,keep them straight out, or even angled "away", keep the SW "smack in the middle"(crossover fr probably "high") and about 10 cm from back wall, relative distance - SW to wall, satelites to wall should be as similare as "practicly" possible), you even get a "soundstage", bordering on HiFi (!), and turn the bass "dial" down, the middle position gives to much bass(compromise the midds) for my taste. Initally i used them in a spare room (ca 10 sq m), sounded OK.

Then, this late spring, it was so hot (30 C) for days, and my main system is power hungry = gives of heat! So, i tested to but them in our sitting room(ca 30 sq m), and after some hours of positioning etc... I was amazed! OK - we are not talking real HiFi, but good enought for spotify premium, and MP3's, with a "punchy" bass, and overall "nice" sound, ie, not hurting my ears, and a OK soundstage... Can't play really loud - sounds hard if you push it(bass level decreacis "automaticly" if you push it(!?)). To my surprice, considering their size and power, they sounded way better in this larger room....They are now my "green" system, way less energy consumption than my main system!

BTW: Got me thinking on trying out a cheap "china" class D power amp, but with an oversized PSU, for the main system? (seen 100W+, mono amps(cards without PSU), as cheap as $50...).

But the thing is: for $50(500SEK(normal price 1000SEK) on sale in Sweden), class D 60W(2 x15 + 30) RMS(if you belive that?), feed with a decent signal, with good positioning in a room sized ca 30 sq m, i can play music(without releasing 1000W of heat!), that sounds OK, not "HiFi" per definition(by far), but fun and with a god "drive"(playing ProgressiveRock/Metal), and loud enought for me to enjoy(on a "hot" day - without AC).

Recomended if you are on a tight budget! I think that's as "cheap" as i can go, and not "throw it out the window", lol.

Cheers/T.