IGNORED

Multi-Room Audio (DTS Play-Fi Alternatives)

This is my first topic I am initiating, and I didn't see it already covered, though it may be somewhere so excuse any redundancies please.

I've been a JRiver user for a few years now, and have wanted to get into multi-room (whole house) audio.  I tried using various DLNA renderers as separate zones, which works, but the sync is awful, can't easily grab online streaming services and send to different zones, etc.  So after researching SONOS (which I'm thinking is probably a bad word around here), and DTS Play-Fi, I ended up going the Play-Fi route getting a Paradigm PW Link.  I wired it directly to my router via CAT5e, which drives a decent Parasound AMP, which drives a decent pair of outdoor DefTech speakers.  I'm happy with the sound quality, but there are obvious issues with Play-Fi, hence the article I pasted below, which I can certainly relate to.  My question:  what is the alternative?  I understand DLNA does not do room sync all that well, but perhaps some DLNA compliant products contain such syncing SW?  I'm not interested in spending $0,000's per end point.  The $350 PW Link fit the budget just fine, and I'm tempted to buy another one, but before I get too far down the Play-Fi highway, what are the alternatives?

How about Google Chromecast Audios. You can create multiple groups with the Google Home app and use the individual CCAs & their created groups as if they were standard UPnP/DLNA or OpenHome streamers, with the help of the BubbleUPnP Server (Windows, OSX & Linux) via its Create DLNA renderer or Create OpenHome renderer functions.

Definitely no sound quality/battery drain problems due to the audio having to be played through the controller app's device and forwarded to the streamer. In fact, operating under OpenHome, you'll be able to switch the handheld controller off and the streamer(s) will carry on playing the entire playlist. The only major issue is the CCA's lack of gapless support, if that is a concern to you.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

I actually tried a CCA and it didn't work so well.  There was a very high noise floor using the 3.5mm out to a pair of RCAs into a power amp.  Perhaps it was too far away from my router, as it works better in a closer proximity plugged into an AVR.  Perhaps if it had Ethernet, and a halfway decent DAC....

Yes, the CCA does benefit from using a decent DAC. No idea how good the official Chromecast ethernet adapter is, though if DIY is your thing, you could always try the suggestions in @Cornan's true experimental tweaks thread! Eg:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30634-the-true-experimental-tweak-thread/?page=48#comment-662821

Talking of DIY, the Raspberry Pi can be used as a multi-room streamer running Squeezelite (Squeezebox emulator) or openhome.org's OpenHome Player.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Well my 30 day trial is coming up for the DTS Play-Fi capable Paradigm PW Link and I'm seriously considering returning it and buying an Auarlic Aires Mini, which is only $150 more.  Gapless playback, better playlist management, even Server capability with space for a SSD, better DAC, and can also act as a  true DLNA renderer if I'm not mistaken.  If anyone has any forewarning regarding the Mini, I'd like to hear from you.  Thanks!