IGNORED

New Sergeant Pepper remaster and ripping accuracy

I just got the Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band remaster Deluxe 4CD and DVD set. Giles Martin remaster.

So, Im getting ready to Rip the 2 channel mix using XLD and was wondering, what is XLD using in the CD database to compare Rip Accuracy to as this just was released?  And, I am hoping that it does not detect errors simply because the new remaster is different than whatever version they have in their database.

For that matter, this probably applies to any Mofi etc remastering sessions.  To accurately assess the rip, does that not depend on a perfect copy in the database to compare to? For a new release, how do I know they actually have it already in said database?

and yes...I realize I am exposing my ignorance to the ripping algorithms.  Help

Thanks

Aurender N10--> DCS Bartok w Rossini Clock—>Audio Research REF6 Pre --> Vandersteen M5HPA—>Vandersteen Quatro CT Speakers; AMG Giro Turntable w Lyra Delos Cartridge —> Audio Research Ref 3 PhonoPre

36 minutes ago, blaven said:

I just got the Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band remaster Deluxe 4CD and DVD set. Giles Martin remaster.

So, Im getting ready to Rip the 2 channel mix using XLD and was wondering, what is XLD using in the CD database to compare Rip Accuracy to as this just was released?  And, I am hoping that it does not detect errors simply because the new remaster is different than whatever version they have in their database.

For that matter, this probably applies to any Mofi etc remastering sessions.  To accurately assess the rip, does that not depend on a perfect copy in the database to compare to? For a new release, how do I know they actually have it already in said database?

Thanks

XLD compares your rip against other rips in the AccurateRip database. Considering that this is The Beatles and the CDs have been out for several days, there are undoubtedly numerous rips already in the AccurateRip database.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Well-when I inserted the new stereo mix, DISC 1, it came up with "Sergeant peppers lonely hearts club band (Mono)".  And in searching all the metadata options, I don't see one that clearly labels the new remaster, or the correct year-so I don't know how to choose the correct comparison or if there actually is one in their database. -I don't readily see it there. 

So, hence the problem. It doesn't appear to be comparing apples to apples. 

Additionally --in the interest of learning, What does XLD do for the very first person who tries to rip the remaster?   What then happens, that first time, when XLD detects errors?? Does it correct them, or simply accept that this is the new version and save that new version for comparison for other people's reps? 

Im assuming it later looks at all rips for a given CD and if they are all equal they set that as standard??

IMG_9011.JPG

Aurender N10--> DCS Bartok w Rossini Clock—>Audio Research REF6 Pre --> Vandersteen M5HPA—>Vandersteen Quatro CT Speakers; AMG Giro Turntable w Lyra Delos Cartridge —> Audio Research Ref 3 PhonoPre

2 minutes ago, blaven said:

Well-when I inserted the new stereo mix, DISC 1, it came up with "Sergeant peppers lonely hearts club band (Mono)".  And in searching all the metadata options, I don't see one that clearly labels the new remaster, or the correct year-so I don't know how to choose the correct comparison or if there actually is one in their database. -I don't readily see it there. 

So, hence the problem. It doesn't appear to be comparing apples to apples. 

Additionally --in the interest of learning, What does XLD do for the very first person who tries to rip the remaster?   What then happens, that first time, when XLD detects errors?? Does it correct them, or simply accept that this is the new version and save that new version for comparison for other people's reps? 

Im assuming it later looks at all rips for a given CD and if they are all equal they set that as standard??

IMG_9011.JPG

I think the metadata comes from the CDDB, not the AccurateRip database.  

If you have "Query AccurateRip database to check integrity" checked and "Save Log File" set to "Always", you can open the log file to see how the results of the check against the AccurateRip database. 

I think the number after "Confidence" shows how many other rips it matches. 

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I hate to piggyback on this thread, but is this available for purchase & download anywhere?

I tried looking for a purchase and download version online and failed. Looks like it's either CDs or Tidal. I'm quite surprised how much better it sounds than the stereo remastered version.

I got it off amazon. 

4cds, DVD and Bluray

I still have no way of knowing if XLD  is comparing it to other reps of the new CD release. Despite trying various databases. 

It doesn't look like it changed anything or found any errors in the ripping report though 

1 hour ago, blaven said:

I got it off amazon. 

4cds, DVD and Bluray

I still have no way of knowing if XLD  is comparing it to other reps of the new CD release. Despite trying various databases. 

It doesn't look like it changed anything or found any errors in the ripping report though 

It is my understanding that AccurateRip creates a unique identifier for every different release of the same album so I think you can assume that the comparison was made against the same CD you have. 

It is available at Amazon and several other vendors. I haven't seen Redbook or hi-res downloads yet. I'm guessing they are going to let the disc sales subside, and then make the downloads available.

As far as ripping, I also don't worry much about the databases. Comparison to the databases is nice, but a negative result can mean your CD is a slightlly different version than other ones in the database - even different pressing plants can cause an error as the product isn't "identical". In addition, other than a file that is clearly defective/damaged, I've yet to hear an audible issue when a file is marked  inaccurate in relation to a database.

I've also found that cleaning a CD can make all those issues disappear.

I'm not familiar with your ripping program, but if it has a feature for secure ripping (multiple rips that are compared one to another), and the result sounds fine, I'd be 100% happy with that.  

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

The Woburn is there in Redbook

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

5 hours ago, firedog said:

It is available at Amazon and several other vendors. I haven't seen Redbook or hi-res downloads yet. I'm guessing they are going to let the disc sales subside, and then make the downloads available.

I wonder if they will make downloads available.  Hasn't been their style before that I can think of.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

5 hours ago, Jud said:

I wonder if they will make downloads available.  Hasn't been their style before that I can think of.

There are downloads available in MP3 and Rebook, e.g.:

http://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/search?q=The+Beatles+&i=boutique

mp3 is available at iTunes, among other places.

I'm pretty sure I've read this Sgt Pepper will be available as a download in general, I'm guessing at some point in hi-res, too.

14 minutes ago, firedog said:

There are downloads available in MP3 and Rebook, e.g.:

http://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/search?q=The+Beatles+&i=boutique

mp3 is available at iTunes, among other places.

I'm pretty sure I've read this Sgt Pepper will be available as a download in general, I'm guessing at some point in hi-res, too.

Ah, that's why I was unaware - no Qobuz. :)

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I've never had ripping errors with good CDs and if the ripping app is set up properly. Ripping at a slow speed can help to avoid this as well. Database entries are made by fellow rippers, all of whom might have their own unique description of a submitted rip. I go with the DB entry maybe half the time, other times have to make changes to it (genre, caps, spelling etc.)

Would appreciate anyone posting about the mastering quality, dynamic range etc.

Edit: actually DRs are listed in the DR DB already. It's all over the road. Disc averages at 8-12, lows at 6, highs to 20, scattered across all the discs.

1 hour ago, kilroy said:

Would appreciate anyone posting about the mastering quality, dynamic range etc.

Edit: actually DRs are listed in the DR DB already. It's all over the road. Disc averages at 8-12, lows at 6, highs to 20, scattered across all the discs.

Separate the "origiinal' tracks from the bonus tracks. They are very different.

The DR of the original album has already been posed on the other thread.

13 songs range in DR from 6-10, average of 8.

• 1 month later...
On 2017-05-30 at 6:25 PM, blaven said:

Thanks

Question:  from the many CD's, DVD and Bluray that are part of this remaster, where is the 24/96?  On the DVD or Bluray?  If so, won't you need something like DVD audio extractor or similar read off the disc?

Perhaps I misunderstand but expect high res files to be carried as DVD audio when in disc format.

On 5/30/2017 at 11:02 PM, blaven said:

I got it off amazon. 

4cds, DVD and Bluray

At least some of these programs compare your rips to other consumers' rips of the same disc (and I've never seen one of them get confused in terms of ripping database with other versions of the same album).  The idea is that only two perfect rips of the huge number of bits in the file will be identical; any variation is an error.  Aside from physical defects in a disc or incorrect offset figures for your disc player hardware, variations from a perfect rip should not occur, any more than you would get typos from copying a Word file from one disc to another.

And you got no errors, so no worries.

17 minutes ago, wdw said:

Question:  from the many CD's, DVD and Bluray that are part of this remaster, where is the 24/96?  On the DVD or Bluray?  If so, won't you need something like DVD audio extractor or similar read off the disc?

Perhaps I misunderstand but expect high res files to be carried as DVD audio when in disc format.

The Blu-Ray.  Yes, you would need different software than XLD.