IGNORED

The DSC1 DAC as a way to understand how a simple DSD DAC actually works

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

I guess I got OT onto some form of predictive upsampling...

No prob, for our purposes here any type of upsampling is solidly in the HQPlayer domain, the DSC1 being a non-oversampling DAC. There are many advantages of digital filters such as crossovers, room correction etc but the very last anti-aliasing is done analogue which is why there is no issue with output quantization.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

• 5 months later...
13 hours ago, audiodesignguide said:

The aim of these measures is only to show that the distortion
is really low and it is not necessary to have a better accuracy 
in the measurements because this does not change the quality of
the sound.
For my audio measurement I use EMU 0404 USB with or without the 
my EMU input and in other case the Clio system.

That doesn't reply to my question: what does a wider base in the 1kHz tone mean?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

1 hour ago, ppy said:

This depends on what type of window is selected settings in the analysis program.

img_30.gif

win.png

Thanks.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

• 2 months later...
On 6/21/2017 at 3:14 AM, Miska said:

This is a known issue, 1099 firmware versions don't work reliably at DSD512 speeds yet. DSD256 tends to work...

Pardon me for the simple minded question:  Can one use the current XMOS USB to IIS solution?

I do realize that this DAC was designed to work with Amanero.

Thanks!

Regards,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have two 100uf Rubycon Black Gate capacitors (non-polar version). Do you all think it would be a waste to put them in place of the two 100uF caps seen on the input end of the DSC1 board? Are those two coupling caps in that position? 

Home: FUN01 v2.0 XMOS DSD DAC (Similar to Singxer SU-1)  -> I2S In -> Custom ES9038Pro (2x Sparkos SS3601, 2x Sparkos SS3602) -> Burson Cable+ RCA to RCA -> Yamaha RX-V863 -> Kimber KWIK-12 cable -> Wharfedale Diamond 220's

Headphones: Modded Aune T1 w/ 1963 Amperex Holland 7308 Bugle Boy -> Kenwood Basic C-2 -> Magni 2 -> Audeze EL-8

Burson V5-OPA & V5i Initial Review   |  Hallman Labs (my personal review/build log website)
14 hours ago, HallmanLabs said:

I have two 100uf Rubycon Black Gate capacitors (non-polar version). Do you all think it would be a waste to put them in place of the two 100uF caps seen on the input end of the DSC1 board? Are those two coupling caps in that position? 

All electrolytic caps are polarized power supply filtering capacitors. There are two DC block capacitors on the signal path, by default those are 1µF polypropylene ones (big green blocks on my photo).

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I figured being non-polarized would come back to bite me on this design after looking at it closer. Any suggestions on what to use these for?

Home: FUN01 v2.0 XMOS DSD DAC (Similar to Singxer SU-1)  -> I2S In -> Custom ES9038Pro (2x Sparkos SS3601, 2x Sparkos SS3602) -> Burson Cable+ RCA to RCA -> Yamaha RX-V863 -> Kimber KWIK-12 cable -> Wharfedale Diamond 220's

Headphones: Modded Aune T1 w/ 1963 Amperex Holland 7308 Bugle Boy -> Kenwood Basic C-2 -> Magni 2 -> Audeze EL-8

Burson V5-OPA & V5i Initial Review   |  Hallman Labs (my personal review/build log website)