IGNORED

Any Boenicke W5se Owners Here?

I just bought a pair (expecting delivery in 1 to 3 months). 

I will be running them nearfield on a desktop (fingers crossed). 

Amp suggestions?? An integrated would be ideal for me in this small office system. I understand these speakers are very inefficient and dip below 4Ω. 

1. Micromega 100 or 150?

2. Mytek Brooklyn new amp?

3. Nuprime STA-9 in mono [available at Walmart :)]

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

Hi Mark,

Not the "SE" version but we had a thread going a few years back on the original W5 (I've always been very intrigued by Sven's designs and was very close to pulling the trigger):

Please let us know your thoughts when they arrive.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Please post your thoughts when you get these speakers. I was strongly considering them  but ultimately went a very different direction (Genelec 8351, which I am expecting in the next few weeks.)

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 30.05.2017 at 3:29 AM, MarkS said:

I just bought a pair (expecting delivery in 1 to 3 months). 

I will be running them nearfield on a desktop (fingers crossed). 

Amp suggestions?? An integrated would be ideal for me in this small office system. I understand these speakers are very inefficient and dip below 4Ω. 

1. Micromega 100 or 150?

2. Mytek Brooklyn new amp?

3. Nuprime STA-9 in mono [available at Walmart :)]

We know a guy who knows a guy, and this guy uses his W5 with JOB 225 and is blown away. 225 is known to work with W5 like a charm and is very affordable for what it does.

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

Have not arrived yet. 

Ive also read about the Job INT with the W5E. 

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

• 7 months later...

Any updates?

We have on demo the W5 and W11. I started a demo the other day with the W5 and the guy thought that he was listening to the bigger pair. You get a large sound field with the W5, they don’t sound like a small speaker.

They deserve the best amplification you can afford. Match them with something like Nord’s or SST for a reasonably priced system or Mola Mola if budgets allow.

It would be nice to hear back from more owners.

On 8/2/2017 at 2:30 PM, AMR/iFi audio said:

We know a guy who knows a guy, and this guy uses his W5 with JOB 225 and is blown away. 225 is known to work with W5 like a charm and is very affordable for what it does.

I have an audio buddy with a W5 and a Job INT and it sounds extremely good, especially for small ensembles, Jazz, and voice.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

@mourip, yes I heard that combination works. I think people either go Job or Nord in that price group. The SST Son of Ampzilla is better but costs double. The USA distributor for Boenicke uses Trafomatic valves which seem to be a good match. See their videos on YouTube. The W5 really sings with the Mola Mola’s, they are very powerful and control speakers really well.

2 hours ago, toetapaudio said:

@mourip, yes I heard that combination works. I think people either go Job or Nord in that price group. The SST Son of Ampzilla is better but costs double. The USA distributor for Boenicke uses Trafomatic valves which seem to be a good match. See their videos on YouTube. The W5 really sings with the Mola Mola’s, they are very powerful and control speakers really well.

I have been using Linear Tube Audio David Berning designed amps for a while and currently have their new Ultralinear model. I am hoping to get it over to my friends house to see if it's 20 watts can make the W5 sing.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

1 hour ago, mourip said:

I have been using Linear Tube Audio David Berning designed amps for a while and currently have their new Ultralinear model. I am hoping to get it over to my friends house to see if it's 20 watts can make the W5 sing.

To an extent this might work. But Boenicke speakers in general benefit from lots of Watts.

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF