IGNORED

IS IT POSSIBLE TO USE CAPS ZUMA AS NAS?

Hello CAPS Zuma experts,

I have a CAPS Zuma 3 with two linear power supplies, running Windows Server 2012R2, AO, Fidelizer, Jriver, Roon with Tidal, that I am currently using as a server with USB as the output.  

I am leading towards purchasing a new DAC that has a streaming board, so I would have to purchase a NAS.   Can I use the CAPS Zuma as a NAS?  How could I do this? 

Thank you. 

Cable Modem w/Mojo 5 power-> Innuos Zenith SE running Roon+Tidal-> Totaldac server-> Totaldac Twelve SE-> CH Precision L1+X1-> 2x Krell FPB 750mcx-> Modded Dunlavy SC-VI w/ Duelund crossovers  Cables: Kubala Realization (speaker), Echole Omnia 2x XLR and 3x AES, Totaldac Gigafilter USB,  Other: Echole Omnia power cables, SRA Scuttle mk.3 Rack, SRA VR 3.0 platforms, four dedicated 20A lines

Of course you can. Any computer can be a NAS.

The confusion arises because what is generally called a NAS is just a computer specially set up to be a server-either with specialized software or special hardware. Examples are software with specialized backup functions or HW specially designed to run 24/7.

But again, any PC, even a laptop, can be used as a NAS.

To use it as a NAS you simply need to load a music library on it, connect it to a network, and tell your playback software to play from the music library on the CAPS/NAS.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

How does the streaming board work? Does it simply function as a renderer?  If so, then I'd load minimserver and bubbleupnp server on it and then you'd have a fully functioning server. Use Linn Kazoo or Lumin as control app and you're good to go.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

Hello Firedog and Jcn3,

Thanks for your answers.  Glad to know it can be used as a NAS.

Cheers

Cable Modem w/Mojo 5 power-> Innuos Zenith SE running Roon+Tidal-> Totaldac server-> Totaldac Twelve SE-> CH Precision L1+X1-> 2x Krell FPB 750mcx-> Modded Dunlavy SC-VI w/ Duelund crossovers  Cables: Kubala Realization (speaker), Echole Omnia 2x XLR and 3x AES, Totaldac Gigafilter USB,  Other: Echole Omnia power cables, SRA Scuttle mk.3 Rack, SRA VR 3.0 platforms, four dedicated 20A lines