IGNORED

Tidal Loses CEO

Billboard Magazine reports today that Tidal has lost their CEO. 

A replacement will be named soon.

"The nature of Toig's departure remains unclear, but a source with knowledge of the situation indicated that he actually exited in March. (His LinkedIn profile has not be updated to reflect the career change, however.)

Jay Z bought the Swedish technology company Aspiro and its WiMP streaming service, renamed Tidal, in early 2015 for $56 million. A splashy launch, featuring star power from the likes of Beyonce, Kanye West, Daft Punk and Nicki Minaj, followed soon after.

Since then, the company has struggled to attract-and-retain paid subscribers during a period in which streaming now accounts for more than half of music industry revenues. At last unofficial count, the service had an estimated one million paid users, far behind leaders Spotify and Apple Music (50 million and 20 million, respectively)."

http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/7809477/tidal-ceo-jeff-toig-departure-jeffrey-new-executive

7 minutes ago, bmoura said:

Billboard Magazine reports today that Tidal has lost their CEO. 

A replacement will be named soon.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/7809477/tidal-ceo-jeff-toig-departure-jeffrey-new-executive

This is a problem for me.  Roon's value is much much less without Tidal.  My current listening (particularly around discovery) is Tidal dependent.  Tidal's demise (is it tomorrow?  next week?) will mean an adjustment...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Did I miss something that said Tidal was closing its doors?

No. However, this uneasy feeling I have about the viability of the company (based on it's well know woes) is not groundless I don't think...or is it?

Just now, crenca said:

No. However, this uneasy feeling I have about the viability of the company (based on it's well know woes) is not groundless I don't think...or is it?

It's tough to say. I've heard people in the know argue it both ways. The fact that Sprint purchased 33% of the company for $200,000,000, gives it a valuation of roughly $600,000,000. Sean Carter purchased Tidal for $56,000,000 in 2015. Based on this, the company appears to doing much better than many believe. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I expect the change in CEO is directly related to Sprint's purchase of 33% of TIDAL.  I'm sure that Softbank wants their own guy leading the company.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

19 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

With only 33% of the company?

Private equity typically gets to replace some board members with their own people even with a much smaller stake.  Softbank is now probably the largest single shareholder in TIDAL.  

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

A CEO departure always means a large "change" is forthcoming. By "change", of course, I mean a reduction. Sprint will leverage the platform somehow, and all the other stuff Tidal does is going to be eliminated. I bet you streaming audiophiles is not a market anyone cares about. Tidal tried to bring audiophile grade sound to the streaming masses, but the masses have proven over and over that they don't place a high value in sound quality.

1 hour ago, GUTB said:

A CEO departure always means a large "change" is forthcoming. By "change", of course, I mean a reduction. Sprint will leverage the platform somehow, and all the other stuff Tidal does is going to be eliminated. I bet you streaming audiophiles is not a market anyone cares about. Tidal tried to bring audiophile grade sound to the streaming masses, but the masses have proven over and over that they don't place a high value in sound quality.

This is a real possibility I think.  Although I give it less than say, 33%...

1 minute ago, crenca said:

This is a real possibility I think.  Although I give it less than say, 33%...

I don't have a horse in this race, don't use Tidal or Sprint but I find the business part of the news interesting.  A wild card is the talk of a T-Mobile / Sprint merger recently in the news.  Also, not sure about GUTB's scenario but to get to an even more basic argument, if the bean counters don't see any value in the audiophile market in terms of potentially making money, which after all is the bottom line, then sayonara!

Jim

The only thing I'd say against that is what is Tidal without the lossless / Tidal Masters material? It's really the only distinction they have vs Spotify, etc. 

Mac Mini (+Tidal +Roon) -> WiFi -> Lyngdorf TDAI1120 ->JM Reynaud Lucia (Tellurium Q Black v2)

12 minutes ago, trappy said:

The only thing I'd say against that is what is Tidal without the lossless / Tidal Masters material? It's really the only distinction they have vs Spotify, etc. 

and even that is not getting the subscriber base numbers moving up much at all in the whole scheme of things!

Jim

Market Cap of Sprint 34.15 billion

Market Cap of T-Mobile 54.33 billion

Market Cap of Softbank 9.79 trillion

Market Cap of Tidal, peanuts! (couldn't find a market cap value) $600 million value(?)

Market Cap of Spotify, potentially 11-13 billion, waiting for an IPO

Market Cap of Pandora 70.54 billion

Market Cap of Apple 803.6 billion

I'm not a finance person, maybe someone could help the discussion! :) 

I would think that the people at Roon, Tidal, and MQA may have some restless nights ahead!

Jim

Exactly why I am still buying physical media...  These streaming services seem to come and go way too regularly.

I would like to see TIDAL and cd quality/Masters Quality streaming stay however.

edit: I refuse to pay for less than lossless quality.

No electron left behind.

11 minutes ago, james45974 said:

There is that audiophile conceit again of thinking that they are any kind of market or trend setters! ;)

I don't know where you got that from my post.  I was just talking about a business issue.

24 minutes ago, rickca said:

I don't know where you got that from my post.  I was just talking about a business issue.

I apologize for misunderstanding, I took your thought about Tidal keeping CD and Master quality as something that will make a difference in the grand scheme of things, market-wise!

Jim

1 hour ago, james45974 said:

Market Cap of Tidal, peanuts! (couldn't find a market cap value) $600 million value(?)

I would think that the people at Roon, Tidal, and MQA may have some restless nights ahead!

isn't that what all you naysayers want and wish for since its inception and the addition of MQA-who really gives a Schiit?

bobbmd

2 hours ago, james45974 said:

if 33% of the company is worth 200 million ...

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png