IGNORED

MB42X + Orb Mini T?

Hello,

I've been waiting a long time to enter the world of audiophilia and I'm looking to start a decent budget set-up for a turntable in a small room.

I'm currently set on the MB42X, however I'm deciding between two options.

1.) Get the Orb Mini T- Amp and integrate a sub later.

2.) Get a different T-Amp with integrated EQ controls.

I'm aware that the MB42X has much better highs since the crossover upgrade, but I'm concerned about my lows. Would the speakers themselves be sufficient for the time being without integrating a sub for a while? Or should I just pitch the sub idea out the window and go with a T-Amp with EQ controls.

I don't see much talk about the Orb Mini T. What's the general consensus on it? 

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't heard the Orb, but I really like the Miccas.  Fantastic value at $89/pr, and they measure far better than almost anything else small and cheap.  Consider the Topping TP22 amp instead...Orb claims "Professional grade micro speaker connectors."  Well, 3.5mm connectors are GARBAGE.  Sorry for shouting.

DO NOT use EQ to get more bass out of little, inexpensive speakers.  Books are written on the folly of this.  Just wait until you can get a sub or two, and make sure it has a _small_ driver to best integrate with the Miccas.  I suggest getting a good 8" sub.  Put the Miccas on concrete blocks with some blu-tack for best results.  If you ever get two subs, put felt on top of each, then the concrete blocks with Miccas tacked to the tops of those.  Oalla, 3-way speakers with perfect time alignment available at your fingertips!  There are 8x8x8" concrete blocks available for under $2 each.  Cheers! 

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.