IGNORED

Best NAS for 24 bit FLAC Audio

Hello 

After experiencing multiple challenges using a couple of different NAS drives to serve 24 bit FLAC files to my audio setup, I finally asking for some advice!

What is the best NAS solution for this kind of set-up:

NAS > Moon Mind > Rega DAC > Audio Research LS-17 Preamp?

My preference would be to use a PLEX server on the NAS, but I'm totally open to suggestions - as long as it is tested, tried by fire and stable.

Not much to ask, right?

Oh, I use a MacBook Pro running Sierra

First time I've ever seen anyone advising using a networked device, especially a wireless device (eg the laptop) to run the UPnP/DLNA media server to take care of the audio files stored on another device (eg the NAS)!

Not usually recommended due to the extra burden placed on the network, ie, at least double the amount of data passing through the network during playback than would otherwise be passing if the files were stored locally. Additionally, all that data would be passing through WiFi to get to and from the laptop running the UPnP/DLNA media server. WiFi would not be used at all in the streaming of the audio file data if the NAS hosted the UPnP/DLNA media server (assuming both the Moon Mind UPnP/DLNA steamer and the NAS have wired connections to the network).

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

On 24/05/2017 at 6:41 AM, mjb said:

I'm far from an expert, but I would perhaps suggest something that can run http://minimserver.com/downloads/index.html if serving music files is your primary interest.

+1. You can't get much better than MinimServer for an easily configurable, reliable, very well supported, decent audio file dedicated UPnP/DLNA media server.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

On 5/24/2017 at 7:08 PM, cjf said:

Any NAS should be fine in and of itself for any audio format. It just storage.

But..if your attempting to use the NAS hardware to handle the music server duties then your starting to tread into deeper waters. Why not use your laptop to host the music server software and point it to the NAS? It would be a much better tool for the job, I promise :cool:

I agree with keeping the NAS as storage only.  Currently running JRiver on a Win7PC pointed to a Synology DS414.

Ah, but is your Win7PC wireless like the OP's computer plus are you using JRiver both as a media server & crucially to network stream and control the playback of the playlist to a networked UPnP/DLNA renderer like the OP's Moon Mind?

This is not the same situation as just using JRiver on the Win7PC to output to one of its Windows audio devices.

-- Jo Cox

2 minutes ago, Cebolla said:

Ah, but is your Win7PC wireless like the OP's computer plus are you using JRiver both as a media server & crucially to stream and control the playback of the playlist to a networked UPnP/DLNA renderer like the OP's Moon Mind?

No, my JRiver server is over ethernet (also has wifi card built in), and yes the Win7PC is both a player and server.  It serves to a JRiver client HTPC in the media room, audio to an AVR, and to my phone via Gizmo for audio in the car.  I've unsuccessfully attempted to use JRiver for synced whole house audio, hence my other post:

Fair enough, though you'd defintely have far less network activity if the media server process ran on the device with direct access to the storage device. It's a question of compromise I suppose, as there's no point using a media server on a NAS if you can't run a decent one on it.

Just seen & replied to your topic, BTW.

-- Jo Cox