IGNORED

Crossfeed software/plugin for HP listening...

Crossfeed is an attempt (either in software or hardware) to "fix" the skewed  stereo effect when listening headphones.  Stereo assumes two speakers in front of you, not right on your ears.

Roon has a built in crossfeed DSP function based on the Bauer implementation:

http://bs2b.sourceforge.net/

JRiver has an unidentified (at least I have not been able to find anything specific about it) implementation in their DSP interface (with varying strengths of moderate, standard, etc.).

Of the two, I prefer Roon's.  Indeed, while I would not call Roon's transparent it improves most (but not all) recordings for me in spite of a bit (but only a bit) of mid range "veiling" for lack of a better word.  JRiver's implementation sounds to my ears a bit more heavy handed.  I still use it on occasion however.

Anyone have experience with any other implementations (perhaps a VST plugin in JRiver)?  Do you regularly use Crossfeed?  

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

IMO Canopener studio audio units for macOS are the best but that doesn't help you,

You coukd try redline monitor vst with jriver, I liked it better than the default jriver implentation.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

1 hour ago, Dr Tone said:

IMO Canopener studio audio units for macOS are the best but that doesn't help you,

You coukd try redline monitor vst with jriver, I liked it better than the default jriver implentation.

Thanks Dr Tone.  That Redline product looks interesting - quite a few positive reviews and with a 60 day trial.  I will have to try it out.  Redline does not actually give any specifics on their technical implementation - I wonder if it uses the Bauer algorithms?

However, I found a VST plugin that is the same implementation that Roon uses here:

http://bs2b.sourceforge.net/download.html

Works as expected in JRiver...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

I tried a number of software options (Macintosh) without finding one that matched the sound I got from my 20-year-old HeadRoom Little amp or my portable Headstage amp. In the end I was able to update my home 'phone amp with a Meier Jazz-ff which also has a built-in crossfeed.

I wouldn't be without crossfeed. Good luck finding what works for you.

Greg

• 3 weeks later...