IGNORED

Gutwire banana plub bent , please advise

I have a pair of gutwire congruence speaker cables .

Somehow one of the plugs has bent (i attach 2 pics to explain)

I ve had these things less that 24 hours and am beside myself 

They still work fine , it is not a complete break , but rather a bend , but due to the weight of the cables and the design of my speaker connects(Dynaudio focus 340) they hang with pressure on the break .

Im wondering if i may somehow strengthen that crimp/bend with solder , a very wee amount , or something else .The weight/pressure will likely eventually completely snap the plug off .

Thank you

1.jpg

2.jpg

It won't effect the sound being bent until it starts to crack or break.

I would inquire from them about having it repaired with a new end. 

Then you need some support just behind the speaker to support those cables or it is only a matter of time before they all get bent I would think.

Many speakers have the binding posts angled that way.  Makes it easier to see when you connect.  It is a very poor design for just the problem you are having.  They would be better to angle the opposite direction.  Hard to connect initially, but you don't do that very often anyway. 

I also would ask Gutwire if they could make you a set with the banana plugs angled at 90 degrees. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

11 minutes ago, esldude said:

It won't effect the sound being bent until it starts to crack or break.

I would inquire from them about having it repaired with a new end. 

Then you need some support just behind the speaker to support those cables or it is only a matter of time before they all get bent I would think.

Many speakers have the binding posts angled that way.  Makes it easier to see when you connect.  It is a very poor design for just the problem you are having.  They would be better to angle the opposite direction.  Hard to connect initially, but you don't do that very often anyway. 

I also would ask Gutwire if they could make you a set with the banana plugs angled at 90 degrees. 

Thank you for a reply

Could i in the meantime strengthen the crimp/bend (edge is actually cracked) with something ? Foe IE: a spot of solder .

Its likely only a matter of time now IMHO . I have to move things for cleaning etc , tho im always very careful , the speaker does need an occasional very gentle move when i clean . For now i have duct taped (gotta love duct tape) the heavy orange part thats between the thicker cable that leads to the bananas , to the wall behind speaker to relieve a tad of the stress .

Tho it happened real fast to me , im guessing this would eventually happen due to the rather weaker banana end enduring all that weight .

Right angle ends are a brilliant suggestion tho mate . So cheers 

I just spent over 6k on a new amp and this cable , so i may have to hold off on a total re termination to right angles .im hoping it will be cheaper to just send 1 cable in to repair 1 banana end .

But ill see 

thanks mate

I don't think the solder would hurt.  Might check with Gutwire, they might make it good, but might not want you soldering on it if they do. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

2 hours ago, esldude said:

I don't think the solder would hurt.  Might check with Gutwire, they might make it good, but might not want you soldering on it if they do. 

Agree, I wouldn't make any modifications until you speak to the manufacturer about repair/replacement.

Try inserting the whole banana plug and connector inside a long hard tube in a way that the latter will bear the weight.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

3 hours ago, semente said:

Try inserting the whole banana plug and connector inside a long hard tube in a way that the latter will bear the weight.

That is a good idea in the interim and maybe permanently.  You might wish to cover it with heatshrink or paint it, but small diameter PVC would be about right for this.  Even going past the connector up the cable an extra inch or two would spread the load more too. 

Either PVC electrical conduit in 1/2 inch or if needed to clear everything 3/4 inch PVC.  A 10 ft stick is only  a couple bucks.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-2-in-x-10-ft-PVC-Schedule-40-Conduit-67447/100122861

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Spades are the answer.  Whack off the bananas and solder on spade lugs.  You will also get more surface area  in contact with the binding posts, which can help with current delivery for the bass drivers.

Thank you

Sorry to sound daft , but how risky is that for a daft laymen who has never done such a thing ?

What would i need in total to accomplish this ?

Would i be able to make them as good as original ?

Thanks

2 hours ago, mrvco said:

I'd also make absolutely sure that the banana doesn't break off in the binding post.  It might make some sense to use a banana to spade adapter until you can get the banana replaced.

Banana spade adapter 

Now theres an idea 

Where would i find such a thing ?

I ve never heard of such a thing 

PS tnx for the tip on end breaking off in post 

19 hours ago, esldude said:

thanks

Seems ill have to pay for the repair .i was hoping i may get a pass since ive only had them under 24 hours 

Still waiting on a price quote . Not sure whats taking so long

11 hours ago, semente said:

Thank you

7 hours ago, esldude said:

That is a good idea in the interim and maybe permanently.  You might wish to cover it with heatshrink or paint it, but small diameter PVC would be about right for this.  Even going past the connector up the cable an extra inch or two would spread the load more too. 

Either PVC electrical conduit in 1/2 inch or if needed to clear everything 3/4 inch PVC.  A 10 ft stick is only  a couple bucks.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-2-in-x-10-ft-PVC-Schedule-40-Conduit-67447/100122861

Thank you both 

Im having a problem picturing exactly how thi would look , even tho you were kind enough to send me a link 

"You might wish to cover it with heatshrink or paint it,"

Heat shrink which part exactly ?

Again sorry to sound daft

Many cheers folks

PS

I found some banana plug adapters online 

Is there a preferred brand/kind ? What need i look for in buying those ?

Will using an adapter impede/hamper or degrade the sound in any manner ?

Im now worried about losing the end in speaker post

Cheers

Parts Connection will have decent ones.  You want something that is mechanically sound and not made from Chinese Drywall.

Soldering the spade on with solder and a soldering iron will give a better mechanical connection than an adapter, but it may not matter for several years or moves of the speaker.  There will be no sound degradation (until something pulls loose).

Use a hemostat to retrieve any broken off parts.

1 hour ago, RoseKloud666 said:

Is there a preferred brand/kind ? What need i look for in buying those ?

I use a set of Cardas banana - spade adapters for this reason, but I have locking bananas.  I think I got them from a brick and mortar audio shop that sells online.  Maybe it was Dedicated Audio.  No difference in sound quality noticed. 

On 2017-5-22 at 8:41 PM, RoseKloud666 said:

I have a pair of gutwire congruence speaker cables .

Somehow one of the plugs has bent (i attach 2 pics to explain)

I ve had these things less that 24 hours and am beside myself 

1.jpg

That looks like a very cheap (50 cents or so, less in bulk) plug. Just replace them with decent ones. Spades may be a better choice, as has been suggested. Or simply bare wires if you're not making frequent changes.

5 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Parts Connection will have decent ones.  You want something that is mechanically sound and not made from Chinese Drywall.

Soldering the spade on with solder and a soldering iron will give a better mechanical connection than an adapter, but it may not matter for several years or moves of the speaker.  There will be no sound degradation (until something pulls loose).

Use a hemostat to retrieve any broken off parts.

Chinese Drywall , ffs you made me laugh there 

Thank you 

4 hours ago, Solstice380 said:

I use a set of Cardas banana - spade adapters for this reason, but I have locking bananas.  I think I got them from a brick and mortar audio shop that sells online.  Maybe it was Dedicated Audio.  No difference in sound quality noticed. 

Cheers

4 hours ago, wwaldmanfan said:

What is all this talk about adapters? Just cut off the banana plug and attach a new one. Or spade lugs. You don't need to mess with solder. Most use set screws to capture the wire.

13336333834301822613675.jpg

1333729749815107838503.jpg

Thanks mate

Im not sure why i dont feel confident as some of you s do about cutting into 1k+

cables . im quite daft when it comes to handicrafts peoples work 

I ve never done any such thing before , it does not appear to be rocket science ,but im still wary as heck

Im may look into this a bit more and realize i can restore these to new condition

Thanks mate