IGNORED

Brooklyn Amplifier

Hi - I wasn't sure where on CA to talk about amplifiers, so starting this thread here. 

With the recent announcement this weekend (or so) at the Munich High-End show that Mytek will make a matching Class D Amplifier for the Brooklyn (called the Brooklyn Amplifier), I thought I would capture the information and what I learn about it (as I have a Brooklyn DAC and want to go Class D for my next amp).

Info is very limited other than the release text and images. (no back panel yet).

Image result for mytek brooklyn amplifier

image1-754317.JPG

The name is aptly chosen because the Brooklyn AMP fits in the same housing as the DAC, albeit with an inch of extra depth. It will be available in the same silver and black finishes as the Brooklyn DAC.

Apart from its elegant looks, the Brooklyn AMP produces 2 x 300 Watts of output power at 8 ohms and drives even the most difficult of loudspeakers with ease.

Mytek claims to have created a "triode Class A-sounding Class D" design which will make the Brooklyn AMP relevant for audiophiles worldwide. The expected retail price of the Brooklyn AMP is 1,995 Euro/$, and delivery will start mid-summer 2017.

Would be very interesting to know how they are processing the result so it sounds like triode Class A.  I have no doubt this is possible as a good class D amp has a larger performance envelope than triode amps.  I find no info on their website.  So did they mention in Munich any more details of the sound they achieve?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

2 minutes ago, esldude said:

Would be very interesting to know how they are processing the result so it sounds like triode Class A.  I have no doubt this is possible as a good class D amp has a larger performance envelope than triode amps.  I find no info on their website.  So did they mention in Munich any more details of the sound they achieve?

There are no more details yet. Due potentially later this week. @The Computer Audiophile Chris spoke to someone from Mytek at Munich but didn't get any secrets :-) 

I know that Mytek had already experimented with 'analogue' sound in the Brooklyn DAC. The Pre-amp stage can provide a digital or analogue volume control and the analogue has been created to sound a certain way. So I assume some introduced distortion.

As I learn more, I will post here..

It is apparently powered by the NCore 500 -502 series, (acc'd to the pdf linked to in the Munich audio show thread), which means they can achieve "analog" like sound by designing their own input buffer. 

This has already been done by Nord in the UK, who have input board options with switchable opamps, each of which gives it's own type of sound. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

That might have been my 

11 minutes ago, firedog said:

It is apparently powered by the NCore 500 -502 series, (acc'd to the pdf linked to in the Munich audio show thread), which means they can achieve "analog" like sound by designing their own input buffer. 

This has already been done by Nord in the UK, who have input board options with switchable opamps, each of which gives it's own type of sound. 

That may have been my post in that thread as I was the one asking Chris from CA to ask the Mytek guys. It is unlikely to be the NC500 as this needs a separate PSU and buffer board as you say (ala Nord) and I cannot see how all that fits into a teeny chassis for the Brooklyn. The N502 OEM (as you mention) is integrated with PSU, but also buffer board. https://www.hypex.nl/product/nc502mp-oem/77#tab_specifications

Doing more investigative work.. The Hypex module is 47mm high (the capacitors I guess).. The Mytek Brooklyn DAC (basically the same chassis as the amplifier but not as long they say) is only 44mm high https://mytekdigital.com/download_library/brochures/Brooklyn_dac_brochure_sept_2016_A4.pdf

So I guess this rules out Ncore. 

So the quest continues to see what is inside that teeny box (and still produces 2 x 300W into 8ohms.)

I looked at the UCD series from Hypex and size wise they could fit (with non integrated PSU. But they are rated only 250W each into 8 Ohms).

We have to wait a little and see.

4 hours ago, m5sime said:

So the quest continues to see what is inside that teeny box (and still produces 2 x 300W into 8ohms.)

I looked at the UCD series from Hypex and size wise they could fit (with non integrated PSU. But they are rated only 250W each into 8 Ohms).

My thoughts too... but does the Brooklyn Amp have an external PSU?

1 minute ago, mjb said:

My thoughts too... but does the Brooklyn Amp have an external PSU?

I would doubt it given the packaging shown and also the amount of power needed (it would need to be SMPS again). I wonder if 300W into 8ohms is a typo and is more the standard 4Ohms that most quote for specs of class D. I am due to get some more information hopefully by the end of the week or so from Mytek (via a dealer).

12 minutes ago, mrvco said:

How would the 12V trigger work with the Brooklyn?  Does this mean that a v2 Brooklyn DAC is on the horizon?

Perhaps but not for a 12v trigger I would guess given how tight the back panel is already..  It's a feature on most power amps I think so perhaps just included for that purpose. The row of dip switches is really interesting!! 

There's no way they can achieve triode sound with an input buffer. Maybe they're going to use a JFET input stage and pretend it has "tube warmth".

Triode amplification is the most linear amplification possible. Class D is the most un-linear amplification commonly available. I don't think the gap can be bridged with just tweaking an input stage.

It seems to be an affordable "lifestyle" amp.

On 25/05/2017 at 6:27 AM, GUTB said:

There's no way they can achieve triode sound with an input buffer. Maybe they're going to use a JFET input stage and pretend it has "tube warmth".

Triode amplification is the most linear amplification possible. Class D is the most un-linear amplification commonly available. I don't think the gap can be bridged with just tweaking an input stage.

It seems to be an affordable "lifestyle" amp.

I think you will be surprised. Mytek know what they are doing. Especially with class A/analogue style colouration which they already have in the DAC. (Analogue has introduced distortion so sound warmer). Selectable between digital and analogue volume controls.. Class D done well (Bruno Putzey Hypex) is very neutral in sound and is designed for others to add colouration of sound via the input buffer. I think this is less about how the technology works and more about how very good class D can get out of the sound loop and then allow specific sounds to be introduced.. I will keep researching for more info on this new amp.

On 25/05/2017 at 6:14 AM, AudioDoctor said:

What are the major sound differences between the Brooklyn DAC and the Manhattan 2?

I think this is a discussion for the DAC thread. I do not know the differences in sound. The Manhattan II using the new ESS series of chips.. But as others have said before that design DACs .. it isn't the chip that creates the DAC sound. It is the surrounding circuity surely and that of the output stage.

I hear the Brooklyn DAC performs excellent as a preamp. I'm thinking of selling my NOVA Pre (Peachtree) and get the Brooklyn. That would solve all my digital issues with a single box (MQA, DSD and higher than 24/96). If I decide to get a tube pre later on, I can just switch it over and use as a dedicated dac

1 hour ago, arcman said:

I hear the Brooklyn DAC performs excellent as a preamp. I'm thinking of selling my NOVA Pre (Peachtree) and get the Brooklyn. That would solve all my digital issues with a single box (MQA, DSD and higher than 24/96). If I decide to get a tube pre later on, I can just switch it over and use as a dedicated dac

If the feature set of the Brooklyn appeals to you, I think it is a great choice. The pre in it is pretty good, you may be surprised by it. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 2 months later...

Anyone tried the Brooklyn Class D amplifier? It's shipping now. I'm thinking of buying the Combo pair, Brooklyn DAC & Amp.

There is special pricing for the 2 together-

pawsman

Nuprime CDP-9 w/Teradak DC-30 LPS/Mivera ICEedge 1200AS2 Class D amplifer/Tekton Impact Monitors/2 Emotiva DSP 10 Subs/Emotiva CMX-2 Line fliter-DC offset

9 minutes ago, pawsman said:

Anyone tried the Brooklyn Class D amplifier?

Hi @pawsman I had been awaiting a review of the amp and also finding out what was under the hood. It has been extremely quiet in the press etc since launch as I guess they are awaiting a review sample. Fascinated to see. 

Please post your thoughts if you buy one!

regards

Simon

• 1 month later...

After somewhat extravagant claims for the little box that Mytek's representative waved about at shows earlier this year, and a promise for summer shipping, no reports of the physical existence of a functioning product have emerged.

I own and am very happy with the Brooklyn DAC, which mostly met the maker's also somewhat extravagant claims for the product. I cannot think Mytek would erode a well-earned reputation with an inferior product.

Has anyone, anywhere, seen or heard a functioning Brooklyn AMP? (Speculating there might be a working sample later this week at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest.)

Qobuz via Aurender N10 > Devialet Expert Pro > Audio Physic Avantera

• 1 month later...

This is the only thread I could find on the Brooklyn amp anywhere so here goes...they have had my money since the beginning of September and no amp. Have gotten a couple responses saying it will ship any day but then they go quiet and stop responding. 

I can't find a single picture on the web of one of these things in the wild or even hooked up (RMAF and others looked to be static). 

Has anyone seen or heard one of them? I am seriously considering filing a fraud claim on my $2,000 loan to Mytek unless there is some proof this thing even exists.

7 minutes ago, sbrtoy said:

This is the only thread I could find on the Brooklyn amp anywhere so here goes...they have had my money since the beginning of September and no amp. Have gotten a couple responses saying it will ship any day but then they go quiet and stop responding. 

I can't find a single picture on the web of one of these things in the wild or even hooked up (RMAF and others looked to be static). 

Has anyone seen or heard one of them? I am seriously considering filing a fraud claim on my $2,000 loan to Mytek unless there is some proof this thing even exists.

Hi - one of the chaps on the DAC thread got one and seemed happy. I did ask for topless pics, but he was naturally cautious re return etc. I really wanted to know what’s under the lid.