IGNORED

Jaco Pastorius Truth, Liberty & Soul at HDT in DSD and HR

Anyone get this yet? Looks to be good but don't want to get sucked in if the CD is almost as good. DSD is three times the price. I own his Birthday Concert on CD and it is great sounding and a a great recording.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

Thank you Bmoura from the site here. I checked this out at NativeDSD and it was much less than everyone else's price. Then signed up with them and got 50% off. 128DSD ended up costing $13!

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

31 minutes ago, KDinsmore said:

Thank you Bmoura from the site here. I checked this out at NativeDSD and it was much less than everyone else's price. Then signed up with them and got 50% off. 128DSD ended up costing $13!

Now there's some smart shopping at work!  

HDTracks posts the weekly releases due out on Friday at midnight while the other sites (NativeDSD, Acoustic Sounds, etc.) will post the Friday releases on Friday or Saturday during the day.  Clever, as listeners in a hurry will grab the downloads from them vs. waiting a day or two to check the prices (and sales) on the other download sites. 

Patience, in this case, can be a virtue.  :)

https://2xhd.nativedsd.com/albums/2XHDRE1070-truth-liberty-soul

20 minutes ago, esimms86 said:

I pre-ordered the CD instead. I know that it's obviously redbook/not hi res and that now Ill have to wait but it comes with a 100 page book of essays, etc., that I assume you don't get with the download. 

The DSD128 Stereo download includes a 26-page PDF booklet with the album.  Since some of the pages are 2 or 3 to a page, I'm guessing the information is comparable.  

https://2xhd.nativedsd.com/albums/2XHDRE1070-truth-liberty-soul

This sounds pretty great.

Wow. The DR on this is crap.

Analyzed: Jaco Pastorius / Truth, Liberty & Soul
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR         Peak         RMS     Duration Track
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR10      -6.43 dB   -19.30 dB     13:04 01-Invitation
DR11      -6.85 dB   -19.96 dB      9:02 02-Soul Intro - The Chicken
DR10      -6.59 dB   -20.27 dB     13:16 03-Donna Lee
DR9       -7.02 dB   -19.03 dB      6:36 04-Three Views of a Secret
DR11      -7.03 dB   -19.98 dB     10:04 05-Liberty City
DR12      -7.22 dB   -23.73 dB      7:46 06-Sophisticated Lady
DR10      -7.17 dB   -20.45 dB      5:37 07-Bluesette
DR11      -6.99 dB   -20.54 dB      6:51 08-I Shot the Sheriff
DR12      -6.87 dB   -22.65 dB     15:00 09-Okonkole' y trompa
DR10      -6.67 dB   -19.38 dB     10:32 10-Reza - Giant Steps
DR10      -7.25 dB   -19.80 dB     10:28 11-Mr. Fonebone
DR11      -7.28 dB   -22.29 dB     14:07 12-Bass and Drum Improvisation
DR10      -7.77 dB   -20.84 dB      2:51 13-Twins
DR10      -6.95 dB   -19.67 dB      5:51 14-Fannie Mae

Number of tracks:  14
Official DR value: DR10

Samplerate:        5644800 Hz / PCM Samplerate: 44100 Hz
Channels:          2
Bits per sample:   1
Bitrate:           11290 kbps
Codec:             DSD128
================================================================================

5 minutes ago, KDinsmore said:

Wow. The DR on this is crap.

Those figures would seem to put it solidly in what DR Database refers to as the "transition" range from DR8-13, neither good (DR14-20) nor bad (DR1-7).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

To me it is a bummer. The Grateful Dead Cornell is 14

But DR is not an absolute number comparable from one album to another. DR tells you about the relative loudness and softness of a piece. Some music doesn't have very much in volume dynamics, even when it isn't compressed.

So first, think about what the "natural" dynamics of the music are. Just a guess would tell me that a live recording of electrically amplified music will not be your best candidate for highest DR. Also take a look at the waveforms - are they totally squashed?

DR 10 is probably not a bad result for this music, meaning it had mild or no VC added.

And forget the numbers. Do you like the music? How does it sound?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1 hour ago, KDinsmore said:

To me it is a bummer. The Grateful Dead Cornell is 14

Go to the DR Database home page and click on year (twice) until it shows you the 2017 releases.  These are ordered from lowest DR to highest.  Notice two things:

- The huge number of releases, including virtually everything in the popular market, with abysmal DRs.

- That the Cornell download is on the last page of 2017 releases, i.e., it has some of the very best DR values of anything released so far this year.  Nearly anything else released this year will suffer in that comparison.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

20 minutes ago, firedog said:

Just a guess would tell me that a live recording of electrically amplified music will not be your best candidate for highest DR.

You mean like the Dead's Cornell concert?  :)

1 hour ago, firedog said:

But DR is not an absolute number comparable from one album to another. DR tells you about the relative loudness and softness of a piece. Some music doesn't have very much in volume dynamics, even when it isn't compressed.

So first, think about what the "natural" dynamics of the music are. Just a guess would tell me that a live recording of electrically amplified music will not be your best candidate for highest DR. Also take a look at the waveforms - are they totally squashed?

DR 10 is probably not a bad result for this music, meaning it had mild or no VC added.

And forget the numbers. Do you like the music? How does it sound?

Exactly.  It's all about the music, how it sounds on your system.  And whether you enjoy it. 

That's how I approach it.  Listening to the music.  I ignore "DR values" here.   :)

2 hours ago, firedog said:

So first, think about what the "natural" dynamics of the music are. Just a guess would tell me that a live recording of electrically amplified music will not be your best candidate for highest DR.

1 hour ago, Jud said:

You mean like the Dead's Cornell concert?  :)

Having teased you like this, I do have to say that when I saw Weather Report (with whom Jaco used to play) live in a small theater, it was one of the loudest concerts I've ever been to.  I saw the Dead many times, and I doubt they would make anyone's list of loudest concerts.

It is about enjoying the music. But if you are paying $44 for the download you'd be better off buying the double CD for $18. I've been on a DR tear buying old issues w/great DR for little $ that sound much better than almost all my "remastered" later versions. How many times have you been burned by downloading something and it is compressed and not as good as 25 year-old CD? This recording has a 21 piece band/orchestra so I believe it was loud. I too saw Weather Report back in the day opening for Al DiMeola and it was loud as Jud reported. The more I listened last night I kept thinking the "Birthday" Concert sounded better so I checked it out. A few months earlier and than this and it does sound better to me. The bass is just liquid and beautiful. This is a good recording. Too bad they couldn't have done better here.

1 hour ago, Jud said:

Having teased you like this, I do have to say that when I saw Weather Report (with whom Jaco used to play) live in a small theater, it was one of the loudest concerts I've ever been to.  I saw the Dead many times, and I doubt they would make anyone's list of loudest concerts.

I haven't heard either album (just excerpts of Pastorius), but was basically assuming that some of the instrumentation on the Dead album - or all of it on some cuts - is relatively  soft acoustic. That would tend to push the DR higher.

I saw WP soon  after  Jaco left, also,in a theater, and it was deafeningly loud - to the point where it took away from the concert.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)