IGNORED

ISO REGEN Listening Impressions (kicked off with some measurements)

37 minutes ago, thyname said:

Waiting for my ISO deliver (I was on the second batch for sale), I ordered myself another LPS-1 today.

Reading this entire thread (as well as other threads), to play it safe, I decided to have all three devices (uRendu, Singxer SU-1, and the ISO Regen) powered by its own linear power supply.

So do I just sell the sBooster and use one LPS-1 to power both SU-1 and ISO Regen?

Do I keep what I have now?

Or do I sell the sBooster and buy a third LPS-1?

When IsoRegen and the new LPS-1 are delivered, you can try out these combinations with an addition of Y-cable, and then likely be easy to make a decision based on what sound the best in your system.  Just make sure set LPS-1 output voltage to 5V if you are going to try power both IsoRegen and SU-1 with one LPS-1 via Y-cable.

I remember there are inputs mentioned using one LPS-1 to power both IsoRegen and SU-1 degrade the SQ, so you might want to do a quick search on that.  However, I plan to try using 7V output to do a quick test this weekend using one LPS-1 to power both IsoRegen and SU-1 this weekend to see whether that will not degrade the SQ...something I have been curious to find out for a short while...

38 minutes ago, thyname said:

Did you mean "three" LPS-1s? I would already have two.

Sorry I  meant 3 LPS-1s if you are ok with the budget, otherwise 2 are also fine if you play around with different combinations with a Y adpater, similar to what @elan120 recommended

1 minute ago, elan120 said:

I remember there are inputs mentioned using one LPS-1 to power both IsoRegen and SU-1 degrade the SQ

I did this test and found I liked the sound more using a simple mobile battery to power the IsoRegen at 5V instead of sharing the LPS-1 between the IsoRegen and SU-1.  To me using a battery sounded smoother and more analog.  I have since ordered an ifi Ipower to try and power the IsoRegen at 9V.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

15 minutes ago, tboooe said:

I have since ordered an ifi Ipower to try and power the IsoRegen at 9V.

@tboooe, FWIW...have you confirmed with @Superdad whether IsoRegen can be powered by 9V supply?

By just reading what's on IsoRegen product page and the print on the voltage input port, it appears an external supply of 6-8V DC range is needed...

13 minutes ago, elan120 said:

@tboooe, FWIW...have you confirmed with @Superdad whether IsoRegen can be powered by 9V supply?

By just reading what's on IsoRegen product page and the print on the voltage input port, it appears an external supply of 6-8V DC range is needed...

Yes sir!  Confirmed by sir Alex. I wouldn't risk burning my precious IsoRegen!

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

7 minutes ago, tboooe said:

Yes sir!  Confirmed by sir Alex. I wouldn't risk burning my precious IsoRegen!

Yes, we really prefer that folks stay on the lower voltage side--most especially if using a bus powered DAC.  

The 5(!) ultra-ultra-low-noise LT3042 regulators in the ISO REGEN--separately powering everything (2 for the isolator, 2 for the hub chip, one for the clock)  don't get hot as the current draw of their respective circuits is quite low.

But the 1-amp TI TPS7A4700 dedicated to supplying 5VBUS power does really cook when powering say an iFi micro iDSD DAC/headphone amp (460mA--almost the USB 2.0 spec limit of 0.5A).  That is normal, but it heats the heck out of the entire ISO REGEN circuit board, and we have discovered that some samples of the Silanna isolator chip are not real happy about that, and may after a while cause a few data errors.  Production is tightening and screening for that, and we have taken to using an expensive 2mm thermal pad material under pressure between the bottom of the PCB and the case.  That transfers more of the board heat to the case.  

So don't be surprised when--if drawing a lot of VBUS current from the ISO REGEN--the case gets damn hot!  That is the way it always has been with the original USB REGEN, but for that we never needed to knock the PCB temp down with thermal pads.  

Guess this is the price of making the REGEN's so small so folks can plug right into the back of the DAC with our excellent new USPCB A>B Adapter (BTW, a bunch of people have written to us saying that the USPCB really is better than even their fancy short cables.  Just as planned...B|)

Anyway, it should be easy to see that if powering an ISO REGEN on 9 volts--versus the 7.5V SMPS we offer or an UltraCap LPS-1 set to 7V--then there is 1.5 or 2.0 volts more for the regulator to drop to get down to 5V for the VBUS.  If your DAC does not draw much if any from the cable VBUS, then it is not a big deal at all.  But if it draws a lot--like the 460mA iDSD when not in battery mode--then in that example a REGEN powered with 9 volts would be asked to dissipate an additional 0.69-0.92 watts (versus use of a 7.5 or 7V feed), for a total of 1.84 watts (0.46A * 4 volt drop = 1.84 watts).  Does not seem like a lot, but it feels like a lot heat-wise.

Good thing my SU-1 doesn't draw much!

Other components:

I plan to use the ISO REGEN with a 7V LPS-1 into a micro iDSD.  In this configuration, isn't sound quality going to be better running the micro iDSD on bus power rather than battery?  

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

9 minutes ago, rickca said:

I plan to use the ISO REGEN with a 7V LPS-1 into a micro iDSD.  In this configuration, isn't sound quality going to be better running the micro iDSD on bus power rather than battery?  

I don't know.  Try it both ways and see hear.

3 minutes ago, rickca said:

Will the ISO REGENs shipped this week have this thermal pad, or only future production?

Yes, everything going out now has thermal pads.  They are a pain in the neck (makes the boards really hard to slide in) and my assistant will be working well into the night tonight putting pads on and putting the boards I spent the last 5 days testing into the cases that she already has front faces on.

Now I start sorting order types in my shipping system and creating shipping labels (getting everyone's PS order and USPCB orientation selection right, combined with international and various shipping methods always makes for a fun evening).  So I just quite my e-mail and I'm swearing off the forum for some hours now guys.

:D

Ciao!

Anyone tried a Iso Regen into a music player like a Aurender, Melco, Nad or Lumin?  One would just have to believe it could enhance the performance of these products. 

TP-LInk 1200 WiFi router>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Synergistic Research Switch>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Innuos Pulsar> Sablon EVO USB cable>Innuos Phoenix>Sablon EVO USB cable>T+A DAC 2000 >Enleum AMP-23r>Audience SX speaker cables>Raidho X1t or HiFiMan HE-1000se headphones. Synergistic Research Atmosphere Excite powers cords>Puritan Audio 156 pwr conditioner.

Apologies if this has already been asked.

Is there any benefit in using the ISO Regen with a DAC that already has Galvanic Isolation?

I have a Chord Hugo TT which I understand already has excellent GI.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Innuos Zenith SE (Roon Core) > Curious USB/Upton ISO REGEN +LPS-1/USPCB> Chord Hugo TT > ATC SCM 40A

10 minutes ago, flummoxe said:

Is there any benefit in using the ISO Regen with a DAC that already has Galvanic Isolation?

I have a Chord Hugo TT which I understand already has excellent GA.

Even Chord Dave has a GI but neither Dave nor Hugo TT immune to upstream USB so absolutely ISO Regen will have a vastly effect in your system 

23 minutes ago, flummoxe said:

I have a Chord Hugo TT which I understand already has excellent GA.

HUGO TT user has reported the improvement of the IR in this thread.  No DAVE user reported such thing in this thread AFAK.  You need to do a search.  The GI implementation in DAVE is more advance than that in TT.  You may ask Rob Watt to confirm.

5 minutes ago, greenleo said:

HUGO TT user has reported the improvement of the IR in this thread.  No DAVE user reported such thing in this thread AFAK.  You need to do a search.  The GI implementation in DAVE is more advance than that in TT.  You may ask Rob Watt to confirm.

You are right Leo the GI implementation in Dave is more advanced than TT but I don't know if you are trust @romaz and that what he said before in Headfi forum 

""Regardless of what has been believed in the past, DAVE is definitely not immune to upstream components and to improve your server will improve your return on DAVE and on M-scaler""

Despite he didn't figure out a difference between the best USB after market cable and a regular one in the past. 

And here is the link https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/review-comparison-of-5-high-end-digital-music-servers-aurender-n10-cad-cat-server-totaldac-d1-server-auralic-aries-audiophile-vortex-box.787020/page-56

I can report that the Iso Regen gives a great benefit to the Chord Dave. I am really surprised. It is not about galvanic isolation because I couldn´t detect differences between GI on or off on the Regen. I wrote about that in this thread some days ago. After 200 hours on the Iso Regen the bass quantity and quality increased even more. Really nice in combination with my Focal Utopias!

1 hour ago, sadekkhalifa said:

You are right Leo the GI implementation in Dave is more advanced than TT but I don't know if you are trust @romaz and that what he said before in Headfi forum 

""Regardless of what has been believed in the past, DAVE is definitely not immune to upstream components and to improve your server will improve your return on DAVE and on M-scaler""

Despite he didn't figure out a difference between the best USB after market cable and a regular one in the past. 

And here is the link https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/review-comparison-of-5-high-end-digital-music-servers-aurender-n10-cad-cat-server-totaldac-d1-server-auralic-aries-audiophile-vortex-box.787020/page-56

Hi,

I didn't use Roy's word but am telling what I know that no DAVE user has reported yet in my post.  Please read my post again and do not put words into my mouth.  I never quote Roy but Rob.

I'm glad to see yellowblue's feedback and am not surprised IR may help if a better SI is feeding DAVE.  However, I can't tell if the improvement is from GI.

4 hours ago, yellowblue said:

I can report that the Iso Regen gives a great benefit to the Chord Dave. I am really surprised. It is not about galvanic isolation because I couldn´t detect differences between GI on or off on the Regen. I wrote about that in this thread some days ago. After 200 hours on the Iso Regen the bass quantity and quality increased even more. Really nice in combination with my Focal Utopias!

Nice, wait for my IR with LPS-1 and blue mark 2, will compare the LPS-1 with sonore LPS, i think Sonore LPS will work better with a good power cord, that what i found so far, a good power cord to sonore LPS sound so much better. 

Some good news to report.  My initial ISO REGEN was bad and crackled the instant music started playing.  I just received the replacement and I'm having no problems at all.  I'm using it with an LPS-1 into a bus-powered iFi micro iDSD.

I'll leave listening impressions for another post.  It already sounds kind of spooky good.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

15 hours ago, yellowblue said:

Before the IR, what were you using to feed DAVE?

18 hours ago, flummoxe said:

I have a Chord Hugo TT which I understand already has excellent GI.

I own a Hugo TT and got a nice improvement from adding the ISO REGEN.  The IR is powered by an LPS-1, while my microRendu is powered off the second rail of my JS-2.  I'm very happy with the ISO REGEN.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

20 hours ago, stvc said:

Nice, wait for my IR with LPS-1 and blue mark 2, will compare the LPS-1 with sonore LPS, i think Sonore LPS will work better with a good power cord, that what i found so far, a good power cord to sonore LPS sound so much better. 

Not to put you off.  But I suspect LPS-1 will out perform Sonore LPS.  Will be happy if I'm wrong.

41 minutes ago, greenleo said:

Thanks YB.  Then it should be an immediate improvement.  Have you ever tried txUSBUltra after your MR?

No, but I am as interested as you what others will think . Is the IR somewhere near the txUSBUltra I will keep it and might buy the UltraRendu when it comes out instead for go the SoTM-path (which I think is really expensive).  Is there someone living in Sweden who owns a txUSBUltra - he/she would be welcome home to me to compare those two units.

1 hour ago, greenleo said:

Not to put you off.  But I suspect LPS-1 will out perform Sonore LPS.  Will be happy if I'm wrong.

Seriously, I will be way more happy if LPS-1 out perform sonore LPS, save me lot of space and very expensive power cord!