IGNORED

ISO REGEN Listening Impressions (kicked off with some measurements)

7 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Tommy,

Yes, I should have qualified my closing comment there. I didn't mean to say that there was no degradation at all from sharing vs. separate LPS-1s. Just that the degradation would be greater if powering the mR/IR combo.

No problem at all.  I didnt think you were implying anything.  I just wanted to share my experiences sharing an LPS-1.  It seems there is no free lunch in our whacky audiophile hobby.  I guess I need to start saving my pennies for a second LPS-1.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

2 hours ago, austinpop said:

By powering the mR and ISO-R with the same LPS-1, you're effectively providing a common ground path around the isolation moat designed into the product. This is like turning the GI switch to off. Now, the audible degradation due to this is system-dependent. For some it may be minimal, for others, dramatic.

Interestingly, using a single LPS-1 to power both the ISO-R and something downstream (assuming the aforementioned constraints are met) should be just fine.

So - net, net - it's not about whether powering 2 devices with a single LPS-1 with Y-cable is bad. It's which 2 devices.

Hi Rajiv:

What you wrote is true.  Powering both a microRendu and an ISO REGEN from a single LPS-1 does defeat the galvanic isolation.  But there are some factors to consider (besides the expense of a second LPS-1; you know I don't  push such things to anyone, you all just keep buying them at a furious rate! xD):

a) Powering off a single LPS-1 does not diminish the goodness greatness of all the ISO REGEN's other enhancements (Crystek 575 clock, fantastic signal integrity, etc.) which benefit the microRendu > DAC interface in the same way as with computers.

b) The microRendu was designed to be very quiet.  There is not much junk coming out on its ground plane, so sharing it to the other side of the ISO REGEN via the isolated and quiet ground of the LPS-1 may not be a big deal.

b) Since the LPS-1 blocks the path of leakage current loops between devices (it's like using a battery--only much better!), with a single LPS-1 you are not introducing any new leakage current or path.  What I leading to with this is that if one were to use separate supplies and only one could be an LPS-1, I would put it on the ISO REGEN.  

For example, if one used any standard (AC mains attached) LPS or SMPS for the ISO REGEN, while galvanic isolation would still be preserved, the PS powering the ISO REGEN will join the leakage current loops of the DAC/DDC, preamp, etc. downstream (remember, AC leakage current loops are an interaction between AC>DC supplies--LPS-1's don't join those).

Yet when using an ISO REGEN and separately powering the microRendu from a standard AC supply (even a noisy SMPS though I don't advocate such), the leakage from that supply really has no place to go.  The microRendu has Ethernet on one side, and a full blocking setup (the ISO REGEN/LPS-1) on the other so no path for the standard supply's leakage to loop with some other.

Of course these are all pretty easy comparisons to make and what counts is what you hear!

Have a great weekend everyone.  (I'll be spending mine testing 100 each of ISO REGEN and LPS-1 circuit boards; I'll multi-task and catch up on e-mail and get out everyone's $50 ISO REGEN rebates at last!)

Best,

--Alex C.

45 minutes ago, rickca said:

I hope the yield on your latest batch of ISO REGEN boards is excellent so you can continue to make lots of people happy.

All look great so far.

45 minutes ago, rickca said:

I was so impressed with how much the microRendu improved with the LPS-1 I'm not sure I'd do anything to potentially detract from it.

There are already positive reports of microRendu>ISO REGEN pairings.  Is ISO REGEN (with its superior clocking and hub chip) as big a deal for microRendu owners as for standard computer users (where there is lot of leakage currents and USB ports not optimized for signal integrity and proximity to DAC)?   Hard to say.  But certainly the ISO REGEN does not "detract" in any way.

Hi, I’m new to UpTone products and USB isolation / Regeneration. I have been reading about the ISO Regen and think I want to give this a try. It seems to me that the power delivered to the ISO Regen is as important as the isolation / re-gen function of the device. In my setup my preamp (Arcam C49) has 2 DC outputs one at 6v 1A and the other 12v 1A that are fed of separate regulated linear power supplies. These are designed to be an upgraded power supply for the Arcan r-dac line of products (which I don’t use). I was wondering if I obtain a suitable power cable could I use this to power the ISO Regen?   

The ISO will plug into my DAC (Arcam D33) which is mains powered class 2 (no earth). This is connected via balanced interconnects to the C49, also class 2 (no earth) which in turn connect via balanced interconnects to 2 Bryston 4B SST power amps (these are earthed)

The audio is being fed from a low power atom processor (no fan) mini PC. (VOYO v3 running latest JRiver)
I want to know if you would foresee any compatibility issues with the above setup. I currently do not suffer any earth noise or background noise of any kind with the system (and do not want to add any) I want to try the ISO Regen purely to see if any extra performance can be got out of the system and to ensure that no possible degrading electrical signal is coming from my “not built for purpose” cheap mini pc.

I understand that UpTone’s own high end power supply would probably be optimal but I just want to dip my toe in for now. I am assuming that the audio grade power supply in the pre amp should be better than the standard switch mode power supply.

Many thanks,
James
25 minutes ago, greenleo said:

Can they be directly compared?  One is an NAA, LAN in and USB out, while the IR is a USBRegen, USB in USB out?

Ultimately they are both systems that output digital via USB into my dac so the output can easily be compared.

I currently use a laptop but it's not ideal. 

I'm therefore deciding between buying a microrendu or an ISO regen and a small pc/mac mini. I'm curious to know which is likely to bring the greater sound improvement. I can evaluate the functional aspects easily myself.

regards

I have been listening to the ISO REGEN several hours a day for a couple of weeks now - with Audiophile Optimizer and HQPlayer, Curious cables, and alternating between a stock MicroRendu and a modified SOtM sMS-200, driving a modified Soekris R2R DAC.  

The sound quality improvement with the ISO REGEN is remarkable, as has been well described by others in this forum.  But what I feel has not been well described is that the ISO REGEN so effectively removes "digital grunge / digital glare" that when the ISO REGEN is removed from the system, the timbre of vocals, horns, and strings sound relatively "sterile / cold."  

I doubt that the ISO REGEN is inducing even order harmonic distortion products, but that it is instead so significantly reducing odd order harmonic distortion products that the effect is a "warmer / more natural sounding" signature.  I don't have the test and measurement gear to verify this, but my ears find the effect of the ISO REGEN to be overwhelmingly preferable to the sound of my system without it.  YMMV.

SB88200 cable modem,  EdgeRouterX SFP router,  2 series PFU Buffalo BS-GS2016 switches w/ SR7T LPS and Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL SFPs, Taiko NetCard, JCAT USBCard XE w/ JCAT Optimo 3 Duo LPS;  DIY Taiko Extreme w/ Taiko DC-ATX, and Nenon design Level 3 supply;  Denafrips GAIA DDC w/ Revelation Audio Prophecy Cryro Silver I2S connection to Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC;  modified Pass Labs XP22 preamp,  Pass X600.8 monoblocks,  restored and modified Sound Lab M-1 electrostats with hot rod backplates

55 minutes ago, lwr said:

I have been listening to the ISO REGEN several hours a day for a couple of weeks now - with Audiophile Optimizer and HQPlayer, Curious cables, and alternating between a stock MicroRendu and a modified SOtM sMS-200, driving a modified Soekris R2R DAC.  

The sound quality improvement with the ISO REGEN is remarkable, as has been well described by others in this forum.  But what I feel has not been well described is that the ISO REGEN so effectively removes "digital grunge / digital glare" that when the ISO REGEN is removed from the system, the timbre of vocals, horns, and strings sound relatively "sterile / cold."  

I doubt that the ISO REGEN is inducing even order harmonic distortion products, but that it is instead so significantly reducing odd order harmonic distortion products that the effect is a "warmer / more natural sounding" signature.  I don't have the test and measurement gear to verify this, but my ears find the effect of the ISO REGEN to be overwhelmingly preferable to the sound of my system without it.  YMMV.

Are you in a position to try the ISO regen with a standard computer/laptop/mac mini (non optimised renderer) and compare with the output of the microrendu on it's own? 

Thanks, Tom

3 hours ago, james_dmi said:

Hi, I’m new to UpTone products and USB isolation / Regeneration...

I was wondering if I obtain a suitable power cable could I use this to power the ISO Regen?   

I'll let Alex answer definitively when he has time, but I think you are probably Ok with the 6v/1A output (how cool to have that !). The reason I wanted to answer, is to complement you on the complete and easy way you described your question and system config. That makes helping you all the easier and satisfying. A lesson for others.

I am sure the SQ is improving on the Lps1 iso. In many places it's  just sounding so much clearer...  Getting a taste for its secret sauce..From my source errr...That is....9_9

I know my hearing isn't getting better...my wife's is...:S Or more psychic hard to tell..

Hi, 

Just wondering if anyone has actually compared between the iso regen vs intona + w4s rur combo? 

Speakers [Audio Physic Virgo V] Amps [Musical Fidelity 750k x 2] Pre [Musical Fidelity A1 FBP] DAC [North Star Supremo] Transport [North Star Magnifico] Power [Acoustic Revive RTP-6 Ultimate] Cables [Acoustic Revive] Rack [Finite Elemente Pagode Signature] Room Tuning [Acoustic Revive RWL-3 & RR-77] Streamer [Auralic Aries +  Phasure Lush USB > Uptone Iso Regen + Lps 1]

On 5/22/2017 at 11:02 PM, kennyb123 said:
A change for the better can be immediately heard with the ISO REGEN in place.  Cleaner, quieter, smoother, faster, more wide-open, more focused, more dynamic, more organic, more you-are-there.  

I'm using a Y-cable to power both the microRendu and ISO REGEN from the LPS-1.  Digital chain is Mac Mini with MMK/JS-2 running Roon bridged to microRendu > Audience USB > ISO REGEN > USPCB > Chord Hugo TT.

I'll likely share more observations after further listening.

Can  anyone tell me where I can source a Y-cable and what the specifications for the plugs are?  Glad to hear the LPS – 1 one can drive both Uptone units simultaneously without any sonic issues. 

TP-LInk 1200 WiFi router>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Innuos PhoenixNet Switch>Muon Pro ethernet cable>Muon Pro>Grimm Mu2>AudioQuest Dragon XLR>NAD M23> Falcon 2024 Limited Edition LS35a & REL T7Xi sub. Synergistic Research Atmosphere Excite SX powers cords>Puritan Audio 156 pwr conditioner W/Ground Master City.

5 hours ago, Vangelis said:

Can  anyone tell me where I can source a Y-cable and what the specifications for the plugs are?  Glad to hear the LPS – 1 one can drive both Uptone units simultaneously without any sonic issues. 

here you go -- ghent audio.  5.5mm x 2.1mm plugs.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
58 minutes ago, canali said:

i'm still hoping to find one who has an MR and LPS1...then also bought the iso regen...is there a difference or not with this addition to the chain?

In my post on page 9, I describe my experience with exactly that situation.  

SB88200 cable modem,  EdgeRouterX SFP router,  2 series PFU Buffalo BS-GS2016 switches w/ SR7T LPS and Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL SFPs, Taiko NetCard, JCAT USBCard XE w/ JCAT Optimo 3 Duo LPS;  DIY Taiko Extreme w/ Taiko DC-ATX, and Nenon design Level 3 supply;  Denafrips GAIA DDC w/ Revelation Audio Prophecy Cryro Silver I2S connection to Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC;  modified Pass Labs XP22 preamp,  Pass X600.8 monoblocks,  restored and modified Sound Lab M-1 electrostats with hot rod backplates

Canali, this is my setup.  And YES!  The IsoRegen added very signif. audible improvements.  

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

LWR and Forehaven: many thanks for your imput...'tis appreciated.

my chain is pretty simple: 10 yr old laptop as 'server' (will be upgrading to a Roon Nuc or such later)

with microrendu/lps to iFi micro iDSD (will be upgraded to a diff DAC later on..hugo 2..unsure)

thing is: is always thought the microrendu and lps would in themselves offer galvanic isolation, with no need for the iso regen.

Waiting for my ISO deliver (I was on the second batch for sale), I ordered myself another LPS-1 today.

My chain looks as follows:

Roon Core on sonicTransporter i5 ---> microRendu (currently powered by sBooster) ---> Modded SU-1 (powered by my existing LPS-1) ---> Holo Spring KTE DAC ---> iFi Pro iCan (Amp) ---> Focal Utopia (headphones).

Obviously the ISO (powered by the new LPS-1) will be placed between uRendu and SU-1.

Reading this entire thread (as well as other threads), to play it safe, I decided to have all three devices (uRendu, Singxer SU-1, and the ISO Regen) powered by its own linear power supply.

Although it seems like it would be OK to power the SU-1 and the ISO Regen by one LPS-1 via Y cable, something that @Superdad had mentioned to me via email.

So do I just sell the sBooster and use one LPS-1 to power both SU-1 and ISO Regen?

Do I keep what I have now?

Or do I sell the sBooster and buy a third LPS-1?

Another question: is one JS-2 better than two LPS-1s?

Where the heck is @Energy??

17 minutes ago, thyname said:

Waiting for my ISO deliver (I was on the second batch for sale), I ordered myself another LPS-1 today.

My chain looks as follows:

Roon Core on sonicTransporter i5 ---> microRendu (currently powered by sBooster) ---> Modded SU-1 (powered by my existing LPS-1) ---> Holo Spring KTE DAC ---> iFi Pro iCan (Amp) ---> Focal Utopia (headphones).

Obviously the ISO (powered by the new LPS-1) will be placed between uRendu and SU-1.

Reading this entire thread (as well as other threads), to play it safe, I decided to have all three devices (uRendu, Singxer SU-1, and the ISO Regen) powered by its own linear power supply.

Although it seems like it would be OK to power the SU-1 and the ISO Regen by one LPS-1 via Y cable, something that @Superdad had mentioned to me via email.

So do I just sell the sBooster and use one LPS-1 to power both SU-1 and ISO Regen?

Do I keep what I have now?

Or do I sell the sBooster and buy a third LPS-1?

Another question: is one JS-2 better than two LPS-1s?

Where the heck is @Energy??

Speaking out of experience. I recommend 2 LPS-1s. Keep the sbooster to energize them or sell it and get a cheapo LPS from ebay and pocket the savings.