IGNORED

The Beatles' White Album is next in the queue

2 hours ago, semente said:

A bit more behind-the-scenes info here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46152217

"Is it true that you got a completely new recording of the flamenco guitar that opens The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill?

Well, that's actually played on a Mellotron which, for those who don't know, was the original sampler. I remembered Paul still had the Mellotron, so it was just a question of me phoning him up and getting his engineer to record it in better quality.

Now, someone said, "It's sacrosanct! How could you do that?" But it's the same machine, playing the same tape. If I can get a better version of it, then we should use it."

This is an attitude I don't get. It's a recording of a sound. You are digitizing and remixing the album anyway, so how is re-recording the same sound any different, or breaking some "rule"?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

3 hours ago, firedog said:

This is an attitude I don't get. It's a recording of a sound. You are digitizing and remixing the album anyway, so how is re-recording the same sound any different, or breaking some "rule"?

I guess that some purists are very obssessed and don't accept any changes to the original... If it's a remix, it's not going to be/sound exactly like the original.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

On 11/11/2018 at 1:02 AM, firedog said:

I used the method Chris posted a while back with Passkey for Blu Ray on Imagine. Worked fine.

I don't think Passkey is available any longer. I use AnyDVD HD w/DVD Audio Extractor. This was effortless (some BD are finicky) save no info for the mono metadata (I downloaded mine when finished so hopefully it is there now)

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

6 minutes ago, KDinsmore said:

I don't think Passkey is available any longer. I use AnyDVD HD w/DVD Audio Extractor. This was effortless (some BD are finicky) save no info for the mono metadata (I downloaded mine when finished so hopefully it is there now)

Still available, I just bought it 3 weeks ago. https://m.dvdfab.cn/passkey-for-blu-ray

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

5 hours ago, nicholasg said:

I wonder why a PDF of the album artwork is not available with either of the digital downloads (unlike Sgt. Pepper's)?

Because the record labels have contempt for their customers and don't care. Obviously, for all albums there are digital versions of whatever artwork, etc. is available in non download formats. There's no reason not to include it with downloads. Only some classical labels seem to do this on a consistent basis. 
It's one of the reasons I ordered the box set instead of buying the download. 

On 11/15/2018 at 2:02 AM, firedog said:

Because the record labels have contempt for their customers and don't care. Obviously, for all albums there are digital versions of whatever artwork, etc. is available in non download formats. There's no reason not to include it with downloads. Only some classical labels seem to do this on a consistent basis. 
It's one of the reasons I ordered the box set instead of buying the download. 

I wonder why a PDF of the album book is not available with either of the digital downloads (unlike Sgt. Pepper's)?

BUT the only way (as far as I can tell) to get the Esher demos as 96/24 is via digital download, I don't think they are on the Blu-Ray. Correct?

26 minutes ago, nicholasg said:

I wonder why a PDF of the album book is not available with either of the digital downloads (unlike Sgt. Pepper's)?

BUT the only way (as far as I can tell) to get the Esher demos as 96/24 is via digital download, I don't think they are on the Blu-Ray. Correct?

They are definitely in the bluray box set. disc 3. but not in 24/96. 
I'd still rather have the box set. Supposedly the 5.1 mix has much better DR than either the 24/96 stereo mix on disc or the download of it. I'll be ripping it to stereo.