IGNORED

The Beatles' White Album is next in the queue

Price now "down" to $145.

@firedog, at least on some items Amazon has a price guarantee: If the price goes down between purchase and release, you get the benefit.  But of course if it goes down after release....

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 hours ago, Jud said:

Price now "down" to $145.

@firedog, at least on some items Amazon has a price guarantee: If the price goes down between purchase and release, you get the benefit.  But of course if it goes down after release....

They have been doing some odd things with the pricing, so I'm very hesitant. The first day it was on site it was priced at about $126 or so. Next day went to the "list" price of $180. Now at $145. 

As of yesterday it was significantly less in Canada than the US (by about 20%,  but no more) and also cheaper in the UK (also no more). 

So I'm waiting to see if it settles in at some stable pre-order price; generally Amazon prices competitively, even if they aren't "cheapest". The modern advantage is that I can wait and listen to the remix on Tidal and then find a good price after the release on Nov. 9 for the full set. 

BTW, at https://www.importcds.com/the-beatles-the-white-album/602567571957 it is $126.44. I can't get it shipped to me from there, but many of you can. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

On 9/26/2018 at 12:00 AM, firedog said:

What I’m trying to say is that my understanding is that there aren’t two versions. As I understand their process, they digitize the original tapes in 192, but after that they do all, or almost all the “work” in 96. So there isn’t a remix or a remaster in 192, just in 96. So what is being released is the highest res version available.

I guess at some point they could take the George Martin masters that have been digitized in 192 and release those, but for albums like the 2017 Pepper and this one I don’t think there is 192 to release.

Ok thanks for clarifying. 96 or 192, I don't think iId hear the difference anyway.

49 minutes ago, nicholasg said:

Anyone seen any official comment on hi-res downloads coming available?

No, but I'm willing to bet you it will be available that Friday the 9th, too.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 4 weeks later...

In his current Stereophile column, Michael Fremer comments on the upcoming White Album box set. While espousing the quality of the sound of the vinyl discs of the Esher Demos (potentially what I look forward to most in this set), has this to say about the CD's and "possibly" any potential hi-res. I certainly hope it's not true, because I don't do vinyl, and the description isn't pretty. And despite his obvious vinyl bias, I do respect Mr. Fremer's ears. 

"As for the Esher Demos, they are truly wondrous. John brought 15 songs, Paul 7 and George 5. You are in the Kinfauns Bungalow as they strum, bang and shake and you’ll love every minute of it—on vinyl. When I played the CD version (on a dCS Rossini, which is among the best CD players you’ll hear) all of that magic disappeared. I was hearing a plastic-sounding recording. Was it different EQ? Was it the downrez from 96/24 to 16/44.1? I don’t know and I don’t care. Am I prejudiced against CDs? Damn straight I am! Based on what I hear and nothing else."
Read more at https://www.analogplanet.com/content/beatles-re-mixed-giles-martin-any-good-page-2#7Xgma4zQL6XQpASL.99

1 hour ago, TubeLover said:

In his current Stereophile column, Michael Fremer comments on the upcoming White Album box set. While espousing the quality of the sound of the vinyl discs of the Esher Demos (potentially what I look forward to most in this set), has this to say about the CD's and "possibly" any potential hi-res. I certainly hope it's not true, because I don't do vinyl, and the description isn't pretty. And despite his obvious vinyl bias, I do respect Mr. Fremer's ears. 

"As for the Esher Demos, they are truly wondrous. John brought 15 songs, Paul 7 and George 5. You are in the Kinfauns Bungalow as they strum, bang and shake and you’ll love every minute of it—on vinyl. When I played the CD version (on a dCS Rossini, which is among the best CD players you’ll hear) all of that magic disappeared. I was hearing a plastic-sounding recording. Was it different EQ? Was it the downrez from 96/24 to 16/44.1? I don’t know and I don’t care. Am I prejudiced against CDs? Damn straight I am! Based on what I hear and nothing else."
Read more at https://www.analogplanet.com/content/beatles-re-mixed-giles-martin-any-good-page-2#7Xgma4zQL6XQpASL.99

Irrelevant. First he will always prefer vinyl to CD. Second, he will sometimes say that hi-res is more or less equal to vinyl. Third, in his newer column "unveiling" the box sets, he specifically says the hi-res sounds better than the CD, not as good as the vinyl. Take that with a grain of salt. He's a vinyl lover. If you like the sound of digital, I bet you will be fine with the hi-res. 

And weren't the new LPs made from the remixed digital masters? I have zero desire to listen to well done digital adulterated by the re-conversion to analog and the LP making process. It doesn't improve the sound to my ears. The only thing it can possibly be doing is adding a type of coloration that vinyl lovers find pleasing.  I'm not interested in listening to that and I've don't find that it sounds superior. If other people prefer it - fine. Just don't tell me it is better or more true to the original. 

• 3 weeks later...

Album is available at Tidal and at HDTracks. Mine shipped from Amazon. 

Just saw it on sale at ProStudioMasters.$80 for the super deluxe, $44 for deluxe. Considerably cheaper than HDTracks, even with coupon. 

And as a 5.1 surround fan the early feedback (Quadrophonic Quad Forum) is that this is a much better surround mix than Pepper was, or the recent Imagine.  Can't wait to finally get my room and system done.  This will  be surround disc no 1.

6 hours ago, Jud said:

I think I’ll wait for the chance to purchase through Qobuz Sublime+.

Meanwhile, I listened to most of the album tracks and just a couple of the demos in hi res on Qobuz with Audirvana+ last night (low volume so as not to disturb my wife), and my reaction, as you would probably expect, is that this is really a wonderful job by Giles Martin et al.  So clear!

Abum now available on Qobuz Sublime for 68,49€ 96kHz/24 bits

(6 records - 107 tracks)

Dirk

I'm listening on my secondary system right now, and the MQA version from Tidal (Roon doing first unfold) - but the remix sounds really good. Even though it's a totally different kind of project, Giles accomplished something similar here to what he did with Sgt. Pepper: kept the essential sound and feel of the original - but improved it and brought it up to modern standards. The clarity here is fantastic - you can hear more detail even on a mediocre setup. Doesn't sound digital or harsh, either. Can't wait to hear the bluray rip on my main system. 

8 hours ago, ddetaey said:

Abum now available on Qobuz Sublime for 68,49€ 96kHz/24 bits

(6 records - 107 tracks)

Dirk

That's a good price and those kind of prices might make me a Sublime subscriber someday. 

Nothing to do with Qobuz, but it does bug me that these high res downloads (and especially the digital "box sets") rarely come with any digital booklet - even when there is one in the physical disc release. The record labels obviously have the booklets in digital form, so it's just another example of their contempt for their customers. Some of the classical labels do make an effort to include the booklet with downloads, but that's about it. 

Looks like you get to choose between 2 super deluxe options.  Download with a little extra compression on the remix,  no mono or multi-channel, but with everything in 24/96 resolution, or Discs with a more dynamic remix, mono, and multi channel mixes in high resolution, but with only CD resolution for the demos.  I went with the latter.  Blu ray is the star.  Book is very nice.

1 minute ago, Kimo said:

Looks like you get to choose between 2 super deluxe options.  Download with a little extra compression on the remix,  no mono or multi-channel, but with everything in 24/96 resolution, or Discs with a more dynamic remix, mono, and multi channel mixes in high resolution, but with only CD resolution for the demos.  I went with the latter.  Blu ray is the star.  Book is very nice.

What is your source for there being a difference between the download of the remix and the Blu-ray Disc version of the remix?

What software are folks using for rips?  I think I tried all the usual with the new Imagine and keep getting errors, though everything seems to play with my Oppo blu-ray player.

1 hour ago, Kimo said:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/

Plus the good ole' Hoffman forums.  

Maybe I’m missing something, but I don’t see a significant enough difference on DR Database that wouldn’t be accounted for by two different people running the software on two different systems.  I haven’t seen what might be said on the Hoffman forums, though.

1 hour ago, Jud said:

Maybe I’m missing something, but I don’t see a significant enough difference on DR Database that wouldn’t be accounted for by two different people running the software on two different systems.  I haven’t seen what might be said on the Hoffman forums, though.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/the-beatles-white-album-50th-anniversary-content-sound-quality-discussion-thread.786319/page-11

It seems rather silly doesn't it, but there you have it.  I wonder if the vinyl is just one of these two pressed into wax, or if there is another, but not too much.  I am not buying it.  

The Blu Ray is great.  Remix is very open and lively, and the "new" 24/96 mono is a pleasure, though likely tipped up and very quiet for sure.  

7 hours ago, Jud said:

What software are folks using for rips?  I think I tried all the usual with the new Imagine and keep getting errors, though everything seems to play with my Oppo blu-ray player.

I used the method Chris posted a while back with Passkey for Blu Ray on Imagine. Worked fine.

A bit more behind-the-scenes info here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46152217

"Is it true that you got a completely new recording of the flamenco guitar that opens The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill?

Well, that's actually played on a Mellotron which, for those who don't know, was the original sampler. I remembered Paul still had the Mellotron, so it was just a question of me phoning him up and getting his engineer to record it in better quality.

Now, someone said, "It's sacrosanct! How could you do that?" But it's the same machine, playing the same tape. If I can get a better version of it, then we should use it."

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)