IGNORED

another vendor speaks up on MQA

This certainly illuminates my single biggest concern with MQA, their opaque business and licensing model and what that may or may not mean in the future if MQA achieves market dominance, particularly among the major record labels.

After hearing MQA unfolded in the Brooklyn DAC and finding it FAR less essential relative to up-conversion, DSP, filters and other downstream processing that cannot coexist with the encrypted MQA data stream, I'm less concerned about MQA strangling life out of the speciality DAC business like Dolby did with their certification process for AV gear.

I'm certainly still concerned that major record labels will take the bait and only support MQA in the future for HiRes if MQA gains sufficient momentum.  That being said, if the main-stream didn't jump on Tidal's "lossless Red Book streaming", then the subtle (at best) benefits of MQA aren't going to move them either.

I wonder if those guys were from Auralic?   You see the new series Chris has on the home page here at CA.  No mention of MQA though they seemed an enthusiastic early supporter promising a demo at an audio show and literally just backed away from MQA at that time.  The new Auralic series uses the Lightning link which apparently is a no go with MQA.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

8 hours ago, esldude said:

I wonder if those guys were from Auralic?   You see the new series Chris has on the home page here at CA.  No mention of MQA though they seemed an enthusiastic early supporter promising a demo at an audio show and literally just backed away from MQA at that time.  The new Auralic series uses the Lightning link which apparently is a no go with MQA.

The anonymous quote includes a "whilst", does Auralic have any British-speakers on their executive team?

Could be anything but my guess is that it's a Swiss audio-vendor. 6Moons is quite well connected in the industry overall but the editor spend the recent years in Switzerland where he reported in depth on Swiss audio companies Nagra, Weiss, Boehnike and Solution.

3 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

From my April update:

Xuanqian Wang of AURALiC  basically said no to MQA and his comments about his DSP software seem to imply that part of the difference audio journalists report hearing with MQA may be  digital sound processing in a conventional sense. It would square the not necessarily better but different comments.

These comments were in DAR.

Any idea what happened to DAR?  The site has been giving me a 403:Forbidden error since last night.

Just tried DAR and it works here too.  Not that I consider that necessarily a positive, but it works.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality.