IGNORED

Article: Introducing The AURALiC G Series Components

Very cool. Especially RoonReady on Vega G2. Suddenly I have a < 10k DAC on my to-listen list... :)

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

It looks like, pricewise, they're head to head with the dCS network bridge. As good as the Aries G2 sounds on paper, there's obvious stiff competition from companies like Aurender, Linn, SoTM and Sonore, plus the upgrades in this product category are introduced at a relatively rapid clip.

Also, for many on this forum the DSD512-capable Vega G2 is screaming out for compatibility/usability with HQPlayer(an open question at this point).

http://www.audiostream.com/content/dcs-network-bridge

Aries G2

"The dual femto clocks are used in a way that I didn't expect. I assumed one clock was used for each sample rate family (44.1 and 48). However, according to Auralic, one clock is used to reduce jitter on the AES/EBU, coaxial, and Toslink outputs, while the other clock is dedicated to the USB controller."

It is the same configuration for the original Aries.

Vega G2

"The Tesla platform for the VEGA G2 includes an ARM Quad-Core A9 chip, 1GB DDR3 RAM and 4GB of storage."

The above specs seemed a bit familiar, then I realised they are the same as my original Aries (Femto).

Though it looks like they have improved the performance of the Femto clocks down to 72 femto , IIRC it was higher than that before, so that's an improvement.

So, it looks like they repurposed somethings from the original Aries into the Vega G2, but with superior clocking.

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Headphone : Auralic Aries > Auralic Gemini 2000 > Audeze LCD-X

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods

I'd love to listen to the DAC with the Femto.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

ESS 9038 .  Hopefully you'd consider another DAC chip than that one.  I have both the Oppo 105 Blu Ray player and the Oppo HA-1 DAC/HP Amp.   I can tell you that the infamous Sabre glare is there in spades!  Now in my two components I have their 9018 chip and the 9038 is certainly supposed to be smoother but from what I have read is also prone to exhibit some of that glare.

With my Yggy DAC, I no longer hear that glare and is wonderfully smooth ...some of this is design as well as R2R DACs have been known to be more neutral and natural than Delta Sigma DACs such as the ESS Sabre.

1 hour ago, LarryMagoo said:

ESS 9038 .  Hopefully you'd consider another DAC chip than that one.  I have both the Oppo 105 Blu Ray player and the Oppo HA-1 DAC/HP Amp.   I can tell you that the infamous Sabre glare is there in spades!  Now in my two components I have their 9018 chip and the 9038 is certainly supposed to be smoother but from what I have read is also prone to exhibit some of that glare.

Interesting, my 9038 experience is actually via their brand new UDP-205 as a USB DAC, and I wouldn't say it glares any more than the (admittedly much less resolving) Schiit Modi 2 which I believe is an AKM chip.

Obviously nothing can top a big box of resistor ladders :)

Aries Mini -> Audioquest Forest -> Musical Fidelity M6si -> Nordost White -> Ascend Acoustics Sierra RAAL tower

11 hours ago, LarryMagoo said:

With my Yggy DAC, I no longer hear that glare and is wonderfully smooth ...some of this is design as well as R2R DACs have been known to be more neutral and natural than Delta Sigma DACs such as the ESS Sabre.

Interesting. I've used both 9018 and 9038 based DACs and didn't find any glare.

1 hour ago, bikeman said:

Interesting. I've used both 9018 and 9038 based DACs and didn't find any glare.

Yes, there is a lot more to designing a DAC than which DAC chip is used.  And that assumes that the converter uses a DAC chip vs. one that skips the DAC chip altogether...  :)

Before I got another DAC, I too claimed that I heard zero Sabre Glare....upon listening my new Box, I realized that there was substantial glare that I was now not hearing in the way the instruments and vocals sounded.  Plus the difference was clearly obvious....

The G2 series at Munich was very good. Definitely a premium sound category.

Had no idea about the technical details - that Volume Control is very interesting.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

• 2 weeks later...

Vega G2

"The Tesla platform for the VEGA G2 includes an ARM Quad-Core A9 chip, 1GB DDR3 RAM and 4GB of storage."

Chris, quick question and not to be "that guy" but is that storage number a typo? I'm assuming it should say "4TB of storage" and not "4GB of storage," or am I misunderstanding something?

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche

• 5 weeks later...

The remainder of 2017 (and by CES 2018, Las Vega), the Computer Audio offerings will expand, be better and for less money. A few-month's patience  will reward the computer audiophile !

I foresee issues for Auralic if MQA is not supported. Otherwise, it looks (NEW G-2 series) to be a SOTA package (with Upsampler & Clock chassis's) ! 

pj

This new, soon-to-be-released G2 series (specifically Aries G2) has checked-off all the right box's with this new model (Auralic "Aries G2"):

1) Excellent circuit design and parts quality

2) Fantastic display --and operation controls on the front panel (what a concept ! lol)

3) Flexibility: Integration with Streaming Services. Ability to "fetch/control" NAS and network sound.

4) Upsampler & Clocking Upgrade units for all-out SOTA  contention

SOME SHORTCOMINGS   

3) Rear panel connections: No "Wrd Clk." is a mistake --as is a conventional i2S.

4)  VEGA DAC G2: Non MQA may very well prove unwise.

If anyone has a link showing the internal construction details/photo's, please forward.

peter jasz 

• 3 months later...

The marketed release date for the Vega and Aries G2 have blown out, now November and no news. Even if they were released tomorrow, demand could be quite high equaling a even longer wait, well into 2018.

Well there are some new interiors of the Vega 2, looks are very impressive, the workmanship is top notch. Most likely the price will disappoint.

5a014b16f350a_AriesG2rear77de1a41ed41208bb9e1b454b8b66851ab616f3d_1_690x460.thumb.jpg.a334adce9f6a4806b4a5e054d67adc9e.jpg5a014b8b9841b_VEGAG2Back.thumb.jpg.486b8c15d34e0fb9af2a8f0c441e2022.jpgVEGA_G2_Inner_1024x1024.thumb.jpg.8ee1f98405c10b783526be85cb4fc3ef.jpg

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA