IGNORED

Hqplayer NAA - MacMini? NUC? or old HTPC?

I recently upgraded my Lampizator Big 7 to DSD512. I have all these different options to get the 512 to my DAC. I have been running directly from the powerhouse computer USB into the DAC and getting very decent results. That computer up sampling  to 512 barely kicks the fan on and doesn't bother me from the listening position. But I do think my microrendu at 128 from my Mac mini is a little easier on the ears.  My Mac mini with all the uptone tweeks I could install windows on and use that as an endpoint? Or I have retired HTPC that I could run in a small fan less case. Or should I Just get a NUC? I've been reading for days to figure this out and I'm realizing that I'm spending more time listening to my gear instead of music. Any suggestions?

Lampi's DSD512 will only work (currently) with a Windows ASIO driver, so in any case your choices need to run Windows (as you seem to imply).  Linux will be possible once Amanero gets software worked out.  OSX requires a custom driver (I know of none that do DSD512 in OSX, certainly not Amanero).

17 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Lampi's DSD512 will only work (currently) with a Windows ASIO driver, so in any case your choices need to run Windows (as you seem to imply).  Linux will be possible once Amanero gets software worked out.  OSX requires a custom driver (I know of none that do DSD512 in OSX, certainly not Amanero).

Yes aware that I need to run windows....do you have any hardware suggestions? For the NAA endpoint?

I run an inexpensive CAPS Carbon (Intel Atom) with JCAT USB card; I power the mobo and SSD with an Uptone JS-2 and the USB card with an Uptone LPS-1.  In the end it's not dirt cheap, but it is quite effective.  A NUC that runs Windows would be fine, as long as the USB section is clean.

4 minutes ago, ted_b said:

I run an inexpensive CAPS Carbon (Intel Atom) with JCAT USB card; I power the mobo and SSD with an Uptone JS-2 and the USB card with an Uptone LPS-1.  In the end it's not dirt cheap, but it is quite effective.  A NUC that runs Windows would be fine, as long as the USB section is clean.

5 minutes ago, ted_b said:

A NUC that runs Windows would be fine, as long as the USB section is clean.

Thanks! Yeah not looking to spend a ton of money because I'm optimistic about an microRendu solution someday. The clean usb section being like a Regen or something? Would any NUC be sufficient? 

The NAA is just a FIFO buffer so I can't imagine much horsepower is needed, so any Windows NUC should be enough.  And yes, if you can spring for some sort of USB clean-up device (an ISO Regen would be great) then it could prove to be a good NAA until Amanero can get their Linux act together for your microRendu.

I used Miska's recommendation and purchased a CL100 from Logic Supply. I considered an NUC, but the units I looked at used 19 volts where the CL100 uses 12 volts. It is easier to find a good 12 volt power supply than a 19 volt. I just started setting mine up so I can't comment on SQ yet. I plan to use an ISO Regen with it.

12 hours ago, Guf Gufler said:

Any suggestions?

I am using my Bootcamped Mini with Win10 / Amanero ASIO for DSD512 as a NAA into my Golden Atlantic and it sounds really good.   I use an UpTone JS-2 to power it and have the fan kit in the Mini.   I found improvements in detail and bass clarity with an Intona and a REGEN.   Hopefully the ISOREGEN (when available) will replace those two.  

Then I may try AO on the NAA.  I'm not sure if the solution being worked for the mRendu with the T+A will work with the Lampi, although it should.  I understand that T+A uses there own implementation of the Amanero and will require new firmware to be installed by them.  I'm thinking that because it currently uses the standard Combo384 driver that the new version should work with the Lampis but they too may need a similar firmware upgrade. 

1 hour ago, Solstice380 said:

I am using my Bootcamped Mini with Win10 / Amanero ASIO for DSD512 as a NAA into my Golden Atlantic and it sounds really good.   I use an UpTone JS-2 to power it and have the fan kit in the Mini.   I found improvements in detail and bass clarity with an Intona and a REGEN.  

Hey thanks! I remembered reading your set up because of the similarity to mine.  I like the idea of using something I already have, the Mac mini because of the upgrades. 

Really struggling to get HQplayer on my 6700k windows 10 to connect with NAA on my Bootcamped Mac mini. I can read the NAA log and it connects and disconnects, and I see some asio driver info on there but can't make a lot of sense of it.  It connects no problem to the microRendu. Any input or suggestions greatly appricated.

6 hours ago, Guf Gufler said:

Really struggling to get HQplayer on my 6700k windows 10 to connect with NAA on my Bootcamped Mac mini. I can read the NAA log and it connects and disconnects, and I see some asio driver info on there but can't make a lot of sense of it.  It connects no problem to the microRendu. Any input or suggestions greatly appricated.

I'll try to help.  Can you post screenshots of your HQP settings window and the NAA window showing when it tries / fails to connect?  That will be a good start.  If it gets really bad I can remote in and assist.  ?