IGNORED

ALERT: ISO REGEN half-launch belly flop: Bad part on half the first boards. Or how I ruined my vacation and learned to solder under a microscope. (Updates will post here.)

Hi Alex,

It's sad to hear such tragedy. I've been in the electronics industry for more than 3 decades. And I know very well how it feels when such things happened. Especially, it seems that bad thing happened when we are going for a good rest. Hopefully you can pick up the normal work very quickly.

By the way, could you please let us know of which component that cause such disaster? Thanks.

Alex, I hope this loss is borne by the parts manufacturer or your insurance. if not this is extremely disappointing.

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

I'm curious as to how UpTone plans to go after the supplier of that bad component for compensation.  If it's up to me, not only is that supplier obligated to replace that defective roll for free (standard RMA process), they owe UpTone a lifetime supply of that component for as long the ISO REGEN is in the market.  I'm all for suppliers paying a stiff penalty for poor QC, no QC, or whatever they did or did not do to result in such a bad quality escape.  My company would often move to disqualify such a supplier until they can demonstrate clearly improved actions to prevent repeat cases, unless the part is single-sourced of course.

BTW, can those ISO REGENs with bad components be reworked?  I'm just wondering whether those units are a total loss or can be salvaged.  Not knowing how many pins or pads the defective part has it's a bit hard for me to guess the "reworkability".

I feel bad that a supplier's QA failed you.  This certainly won't dampen my enthusiasm for your products.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

1 hour ago, ted_b said:

This is what makes working with Uptone Audio such a pleasure.  You guys pull no punches, and are transparent to your customers, reviewers, etc.  As they say, "this too shall pass" and you'll look back on it as a small blip, hopefully.  Hang in there. 

Yes, a well-managed setback is no issue at all. Getting the product right is what matters, & some more waiting only enhances the eventual arrival ...!

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Thanks Alex for being so open and letting us know.

If my ISO Regen is to be delayed then my shipping address will necessarily have to change. If you remember (how can you with all the emails you receive...) I asked you if it would arrive in time if shipped this week and you told me yes, and hence the current address. 

As requested I'm not sending you an email but can you tell me how to manage this ?

Many thanks ! 

Alex and John, thank you for being so open. I think most, if not all of us understand that what happened was not your fault and that you are working to rectify it. Good luck with this and your future endeavours. 

BTW I am still crossing my fingers for a version of the JS-2 that delivers 400W :)

11 minutes ago, darkless said:

Will vortexbox.co.uk receive its share of ISO REGENs as planned?

I asked Martin at Vortexbox UK and he said orders from them are confirmed. ?

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

On 5/15/2017 at 7:28 PM, Superdad said:

IMG_1349.thumb.jpg.e848d9531f448cba63996e4c8628adb8.jpg

@Superdad I just noticed...is that ping pong table???  This is what I miss most about not being involved in a small/smartup business...bootstrapping and doing whatever it takes to get product out the door.  Brings back good memories!

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

10 minutes ago, tboooe said:

@Superdad I just noticed...is that ping pong table???  This is what I miss most about not being involved in a small/smartup business...bootstrapping and doing whatever it takes to get product out the door.  Brings back good memories!

Dear dear, that's a highly sophisticated Faraday Shield no less, pink pong table, pah!

.sjb

I believe the tracking numbers have started to be sent out...

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments