IGNORED

Proper Grounding a system

39 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

the Navy is using ELF too - don't forget their effects on your stereo

John, do you know how much they want for those 'active' gnds?

At Axpona the "Ground Block" version was between $400-500.  I don't recall the exact amount.  IIRC the Active Ground Block was a couple grand, between $2-3k,  Don't quote me though.

9 minutes ago, audio.bill said:

I have to say it again, but I honestly don't understand how some can continue to condemn a product that they've never tried or heard for themselves. I was as skeptical as anyone about the Nordost QKORE system until I heard it, but once I did I became a believer. No it wasn't a double blind test under laboratory conditions, just listened to familiar music on a system that I know well and the changes were obvious and repeatable. Listening to music is an emotional journey which is subjective by nature, and over the years I've found many components which may not objectively measure better to sound better. We may not have the ability to measure to levels which our ears can discern, or more likely we may sometimes be measuring the wrong things. I listen subjectively and critically but I let my heart be my guide, and I'm an electrical engineer. To each their own...

I don't know if it is being condemned, but being questioned.  More like doubted until proven factual.  Typical scientific method.  There are many things we can do to change the sound of our system.  The grounding box devices claim to remove noise from the signal path, allowing more of the original source to be heard, lowering the floor and improving the overall listening experience.  I think the jury's still out and looking for definable evidence, not just empirical, to show this is actually happening.  I don't think anyone's claiming you aren't hearing something different.

41 minutes ago, audio.bill said:

I have to say it again, but I honestly don't understand how some can continue to condemn a product that they've never tried or heard for themselves. I was as skeptical as anyone about the Nordost QKORE system until I heard it, but once I did I became a believer. No it wasn't a double blind test under laboratory conditions, just listened to familiar music on a system that I know well and the changes were obvious and repeatable. Listening to music is an emotional journey which is subjective by nature, and over the years I've found many components which may not objectively measure better to sound better. We may not have the ability to measure to levels which our ears can discern, or more likely we may sometimes be measuring the wrong things. I listen subjectively and critically but I let my heart be my guide, and I'm an electrical engineer. To each their own...

Note I personally only commented on the Synergistic Research stuff. This is the second time I’ve seen an “explanation” from them regarding how a product is supposed to work that has big scientific words but doesn’t hang together if you know what the words mean.

The first time it happened (cables were the product) I mentioned it in a comment on Audiostream, and within a few days Synergistic had changed their website copy (in a rather cagey way) regarding what I pointed out.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

42 minutes ago, Jud said:

Note I personally only commented on the Synergistic Research stuff. This is the second time I’ve seen an “explanation” from them regarding how a product is supposed to work that has big scientific words but doesn’t hang together if you know what the words mean.

The first time it happened (cables were the product) I mentioned it in a comment on Audiostream, and within a few days Synergistic had changed their website copy (in a rather cagey way) regarding what I pointed out.

IMO they are very marketing heavy.  So much so that I get that greasy car salesman feeling when listening to their founder talk.

48 minutes ago, Speedskater said:

While condemn is a very strong word, any provider that makes unsupported claims about a product that go against engineering and scientific knowledge will gather negative comments. Why would anyone waste their time and/or money on them?

I personally wouldn't.  However: I do know people who swear by some of their products, and someone once suggested to me that perhaps they do the "crazy talk" to prevent any potential competitors from learning how their products actually work.  So people have their opinions and beliefs, and while I can try to be helpful and give them what I believe is useful information, changing what they think isn't my job or necessarily my goal.  Again, I agree with you that I personally don't wish to waste my time with people who can't provide a believable explanation of how their product will work for me.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

generally, there should be a mechanistic explanation of how something works

however, there are observable phenomena* for which no mechanistic explanation existed at the time

* I mean observable in the scientific sense - the best example is from epidemiology (sensu strictu) and led to septic systems and the flush toilet - the exact mechanism was discovered later:

https://www.coursera.org/learn/epidemiology/lecture/1mLjh/pioneers-of-epidemiology-history-continued

Today, we often use these techniques to discover geographic cancer clusters

3 hours ago, Johnseye said:

IMO they are very marketing heavy.  So much so that I get that greasy car salesman feeling when listening to their founder talk.

Here's an example.  The owner explaining his products at Munich 2017.  There are several other videos on YouTube.  Note the Black Box and high frequency transducers "HFT"s on the wall or on the speakers.  It should be measurable and I'd love to see the measurements.  

"HFTs oscillate at high frequencies creating an energy field in your room that overpowers room vibrational distortions to correct phase and frequency interactions for harmonic balance in your treated room. You hear an increase in depth and width, with clearer more extended highs, and tighter bass."

Here's the link to the BlackBox with a video at the bottom of the page.

http://www.synergisticresearch.com/acoustics/passive/blackbox/

Just as a point of clarification I happen to agree with most of the posts here regarding the SR products, along with their questionable marketing tactics and pitiful attempts to explain any 'science' behind them. I've heard several demos of their product and let's just say I've been less than impressed with any of it. I also agree that buyer beware definitely applies to many of the claims made in the high end audio tweak market. I don't however believe that such product marketing should prevent us from considering some other legitimate products that have solid engineering behind them and more importantly can demonstrate their sonic benefits in a subjective evaluation.

I have been away for awhile so just catching up.  I read a lot of questioning how they work mostly from those that have done nothing but question how they work yet have put no effort in trying one or all of them out.  That's all great but the subject of the thread was to get comments from people who have actually tried and compared the various products be it Nordost Qkore, Entreq or SR etc.  I believe a couple of you were going to give it a try any comments from actual users not virtual ones?  Don't get me wrong it would be nice to know more how they work but in everyday life there are many things we use that we have really no idea yet we do -  is this any different if it sounds better do we really need to know more?

2 Channel: Bricasti M20, 21 & M28 SE /Aurender N30SA and MC10 Master clock Treatments: Acoustical panels(F, S & R walls) Misc.: SR Master Fuses

Speakers: Martin Logan CLX ART (Dark Cherry) w/30# weights / 2-ML 212's 

Grounding: QKore 1&6 / Networking: SOtM switch, clock and Pwr Supply / AQ Diamond /SR Router Power: Furutech GTX-DNCF / Oyaide inwall  wire

Nordost: 2-QB8 III, QV2's, QK1's, QSine, QWave, QX4, TC Kones, Sort Fut & LIft / Full OG Loom / 3-QSource & 12-QPoints, QNet, V2 Network

Misc.: iPad 6 /Custom Rack  Media Rm: ML: 13A's, 2-Descent i's, 6- Vanquish, Focus / 3-Parasound A23 / Legacy iV-3 Ultra / 77" LG 4k OLED / Anthem AVM90 / Pioneer Elite DVD Nordost: Odin/T2/H2, BC Kones, H2 Network, V2 HDMI

Altering the grounding does make a difference - whether better or not will depend upon everything. A chap on another forum has discovered "extreme grounding", which is tying the chasses together with massive strands of copper, a whole "web" of the stuff. For him, it has meant major advances in quality, which I find quite apparent in the videos he's posted of playback of his system.

51 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Altering the grounding does make a difference - whether better or not will depend upon everything. A chap on another forum has discovered "extreme grounding", which is tying the chasses together with massive strands of copper, a whole "web" of the stuff. For him, it has meant major advances in quality, which I find quite apparent in the videos he's posted of playback of his system.

Yes, serious real grounding systems have been around for decades.

Just look up:

Grounding Systems

SRPP :: System Reference Potential Plane
STGP ::
Signal Transport Ground Plane
ZSRG :: Zero Signal Reference Grid
ZSRG :: Zero Signal Reference Conductors
ZSRP :: Zero Signal Reference Potential
ZSRP :: Zero Signal Reference Plane
MESH-CBN :: Meshed Common Bonding Network
MESH-IBN :: Meshed Isolated Bonding Network
PEC :: Paralleled Earth Conductors
PBC :: Paralleled Bonding Conductors

The inherent weakness of how audio systems are typically assembled is that there is poor control of the grounding - but people want to play with all sorts of toys, so that's the way the industry has gone ... ^_^. If I had a dollar for every time people say, "I went to fully active speakers - and the SQ I'm getting now!!", well ...

Mostly by intent I have used extremely simple, minimal options setups - which automatically eliminates whole swathes of weaknesses. My first 'good' setup used a top notch CDP, with digital volume, directly driving a "monster" power amp - grounding wasn't such a critical issue.