Hi Pete,

The EX-8 is currently shipping and we're working through the orders as we receive the components in. The QX-8 will likely be shipping before end of June as long as everything remains on schedule.  The VX-8/KX-8 will be toward the end of summer, but may show up earlier depending on chassis components.  We have a few more products planned for the line as well, but we want to be a bit closer to having them developed before announcing, so stay tuned!

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

• 6 months later...
On 5/25/2018 at 5:29 PM, Ryan Berry said:

Hi Pete,

The EX-8 is currently shipping and we're working through the orders as we receive the components in. The QX-8 will likely be shipping before end of June as long as everything remains on schedule.  The VX-8/KX-8 will be toward the end of summer, but may show up earlier depending on chassis components.  We have a few more products planned for the line as well, but we want to be a bit closer to having them developed before announcing, so stay tuned!

Hi Ryan.

Any update on the ETA for the VX-8 power amplifier?

Are the amplification circuits 100% the same as those of the EX-8 Integrated Hub, or do they push the performance bar a little higher (when used with the KX-8 of course)?

Regards,

George

5 hours ago, Nidri said:

Hi Ryan.

Any update on the ETA for the VX-8 power amplifier?

Are the amplification circuits 100% the same as those of the EX-8 Integrated Hub, or do they push the performance bar a little higher (when used with the KX-8 of course)?

Regards,

George

Hi George,

The VX-8 is effectively developed, but we need to get all the parts in, which takes longer than designing the product sometimes.  The circuit in the VX-8 will be a bit more robust than the EX-8,  so while it is still rated at 100W into 8 ohms, it will drive lower impedance a bit better.  Not that the EX-8 is a slouch either -- I've yet to find anything the EX-8 wasn't able to drive for me so far.  Of course, less can often be more when you're talking about features in one chassis.  While you do add more interconnects into the system when you have separate components, you also have a lot less running inside of one box, so there's always tradeoffs.  Personally, I think the KX-8 with the VX-8 is the best sounding (else we wouldn't offer the option since it costs more to buy the two units), though I use an EX-8 at home because it fits inside my entertainment system in the living room real well.  For the listening room, I stick with separates. 

Likely we'll be launching these early 2019.  The 8 series gave us a lot of products all developed around the same time, so we've had a lot of meetings in planning the launch schedule that makes the most sense to avoid flooding the market with 6 products at the same time!  Ultimately, a lot of metal shop delays really pushed back our desired schedule, but I think we've finally gotten the process nailed down and should be picking things back up soon.

Cheers,

Ryan 

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

14 minutes ago, Ryan Berry said:

Hi George,

The VX-8 is effectively developed, but we need to get all the parts in, which takes longer than designing the product sometimes.  The circuit in the VX-8 will be a bit more robust than the EX-8,  so while it is still rated at 100W into 8 ohms, it will drive lower impedance a bit better.  Not that the EX-8 is a slouch either -- I've yet to find anything the EX-8 wasn't able to drive for me so far.  Of course, less can often be more when you're talking about features in one chassis.  While you do add more interconnects into the system when you have separate components, you also have a lot less running inside of one box, so there's always tradeoffs.  Personally, I think the KX-8 with the VX-8 is the best sounding (else we wouldn't offer the option since it costs more to buy the two units), though I use an EX-8 at home because it fits inside my entertainment system in the living room real well.  For the listening room, I stick with separates. 

Likely we'll be launching these early 2019.  The 8 series gave us a lot of products all developed around the same time, so we've had a lot of meetings in planning the launch schedule that makes the most sense to avoid flooding the market with 6 products at the same time!  Ultimately, a lot of metal shop delays really pushed back our desired schedule, but I think we've finally gotten the process nailed down and should be picking things back up soon.

Cheers,

Ryan 

Hi Ryan,

I'm aware about the issues with your case suppliers, but I would appreciate to play the Christmas carols for my family this year in my living room with the way back ordered black EX-8, hopefully with enough time to burn-in. ? 

Cheers,

Thomas

4 hours ago, Ryan Berry said:

Hi George,

Cheers,

Ryan 

Hi Ryan,

Thank you so much for the prompt and detailed response.

I think the modularity and customer choice you're providing in the 8-series is great.

Best of luck with your launch schedule.

Regards,

George

1 hour ago, Nidri said:

Hi Ryan,

Thank you so much for the prompt and detailed response.

I think the modularity and customer choice you're providing in the 8-series is great.

Best of luck with your launch schedule.

Regards,

George

Thanks George!  We're pretty proud of the idea ourselves.  It makes harder to manufacture ahead of time since they can be customized, but this way each person can get the system that suits them the best without having to buy features they have no interest in using.  It was a pretty easy decision for us to make.

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

On 4/6/2018 at 7:52 PM, Ryan Berry said:

Ideally, we're aiming to have this shipping by end of May.  I think we've gotten all the kinks ironed out with our new machinist that has held the EX-8 up.  My only issue with the QX-8 now is that I don't get any other work done that day if I go in to listen to it! 

had been 6 month since that comment .is there a date for the QX8 in the market?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2018 at 7:20 AM, shema56 said:

had been 6 month since that comment .is there a date for the QX8 in the market?

You're right.  The machinist we had hoped had the process figured out took a step backwards and we had to start completely over with a new shop, delaying everything in the 8 line.  We're particular about how we want things to be and won't send anything less than what we feel is the best.  That said, production is starting to build QX-8 units now, so we'll have units able to go out before long.  There's a few finishing touches that are being done...we've been working with our Ethernet card supplier to improve its performance and wanted to get that ironed out before shipping.  For the QX-5 owners, they should be seeing that come out as a free update.

Cheers,

Ryan

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

6 minutes ago, Ryan Berry said:

You're right.  The machinist we had hoped had the process figured out took a step backwards and we had to start completely over with a new shop, delaying everything in the 8 line.  We're particular about how we want things to be and won't send anything less than what we feel is the best.  That said, production is starting to build QX-8 units now, so we'll have units able to go out before long.  There's a few finishing touches that are being done...we've been working with our Ethernet card supplier to improve its performance and wanted to get that ironed out before shipping.  For the QX-5 owners, they should be seeing that come out as a free update.

Cheers,

Ryan

will the qx8 support MQA

7 minutes ago, Ryan Berry said:

Cheers,

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

what about EX-8 owners (hope that mine will arrive soon), do we see the upgrade as well? It would be nice, if one of the performance improvement is DSD128 support over Ethernet.

Best

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Absolutely.  It's a universal patch for anything with the Ethernet module.  I wish I could say that DSD128 was part of it, but the hardware's fairly capped out on what we're asking it to do as is.  That feature will likely take a hardware upgrade some day in the future when we can find a better option that also does the things we know help the sound quality like our current module.

Cheers,

Ryan

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

2 hours ago, Ryan Berry said:

...we've been working with our Ethernet card supplier to improve its performance and wanted to get that ironed out before shipping.  For the QX-5 owners, they should be seeing that come out as a free update.

Cheers,

Ryan

Ryan,

For us the QX-5 owners, is this a firmware update over internet, or hardware update we need to ship the unit in? Thanks 

4 hours ago, Ryan Berry said:

Hi Thomas,

Absolutely.  It's a universal patch for anything with the Ethernet module.  I wish I could say that DSD128 was part of it, but the hardware's fairly capped out on what we're asking it to do as is.  That feature will likely take a hardware upgrade some day in the future when we can find a better option that also does the things we know help the sound quality like our current module.

Cheers,

Ryan

BTW my QX-5 Twenty general firmware version is:

General Firmware Version: K
Network Firmware Version: 03.06.28

5 hours ago, thyname said:

Ryan,

For us the QX-5 owners, is this a firmware update over internet, or hardware update we need to ship the unit in? Thanks 

Firmware update that should occur over the network for you. I'll check the rev. numbers tomorrow, I'm a bit behind on what the current revision is.

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

5 minutes ago, thyname said:

Hi @Ryan Berry -- what did you find out?

Hi Thomas,

Talked to the engineers and it looks like you're up to date with those revisions.  We'll actually be releasing another revision in the next couple of days to 03.06.40 that will further improve the Ethernet input.  The QX-5 will look for the update and prompt to update whenever it is put into standby.

Cheers,

Ryan

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

3 minutes ago, Ryan Berry said:

Hi Thomas,

Talked to the engineers and it looks like you're up to date with those revisions.  We'll actually be releasing another revision in the next couple of days to 03.06.40 that will further improve the Ethernet input.  The QX-5 will look for the update and prompt to update whenever it is put into standby.

Cheers,

Ryan

Thanks! This is good news! The General Firmware Version will still remain "K"?

3 hours ago, thyname said:

Thanks! This is good news! The General Firmware Version will still remain "K"?

That's correct.  The general firmware will only change if there's some new format or feature we're adding to the unit, whereas the network firmware will change pretty regularly as we keep pushing to make the technology better.  We plan on always offering that for free to our fans, of course, so the units should always pick it up for you and off it goes.  If we ever release a general firmware update, I'll try and post here.

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.