Ayre will be presenting prototypes of the new 8 series at the High End show, which will start thursday in Munich.

I presume a new dac/streamer/headphone-amp will be part of the 8 series, as a successor of the QB-9DSD. I also would expect to see a new integrated amp as a successor of the AX-7e. But I'm just guessing. I'm curious what will trickle down from the 5 series, and what new techniques Ayre will be implementing.

Who knows more? 

Are those pics from Munich? Looks like a static display . . . we'll have to wait for sonic reports?

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

12 minutes ago, bluebeat said:

Yes, the picture is from Munich. Posted by Ayre on Facebook. Looks like a static display to me too. Prototypes, so it may take some time before sonic reports come in.

Hmmm, the facebook page also indicates they're showing with Vivid, so they must have *something* connected to speakers.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

The 8 series will fit into their product range below the new 5 series, taking the place of the discontinued 9 and 7 series and the older 5 series products. The price range of the 8 series is planned to be between $2500 - $8000 US Retail.

The first two products which are showing in Munich are the AX-8 integrated amplifier (with digital inputs including streaming) and the QX-8 digital hub (also with streaming) and like all Ayre components, they will be hand-built in Boulder, CO. 

Here are the initial specs and descriptions

http://ciamara.com/new-ayre-8-series-components-coming-fall/

Ciamara is the trusted leader in high end audio. We deliver the tailored advice and service of the best local stereo shops, but with a dynamic, interactive experience that is only possible on the Web. For more details, we invite you to visit us at ciamara.com

11 minutes ago, Ciamarasound said:

Here are the initial specs and descriptions

http://ciamara.com/new-ayre-8-series-components-coming-fall/

Thanks for sharing. I really like the features, especially the AX-8 which even includes headphone output. I am surprised that they are including the VGT at this price-point (debuted in the KX-R). I wonder how many volume steps it has and how it compares sonically to the AX-5 which is the best integrated I've ever heard (by a substantial margin) and compares favorably the very best separates I've heard. I don't care for the looks of these products but they are loaded with great features and at a decent price. Can't wait to hear 'em.

1 hour ago, beetlemania said:

Thanks for sharing. I really like the features, especially the AX-8 which even includes headphone output. I am surprised that they are including the VGT at this price-point (debuted in the KX-R). I wonder how many volume steps it has and how it compares sonically to the AX-5 which is the best integrated I've ever heard (by a substantial margin) and compares favorably the very best separates I've heard. I don't care for the looks of these products but they are loaded with great features and at a decent price. Can't wait to hear 'em.

No problem. The 8 Series aesthetic reminds me of the Musical Fidelity M Series. I personally don't mind the look and have always appreciated Ayre's clean front panel. I'm also curious as to how this will stack up performance-wise to the AX-5, which I personally own and is my gold standard for integrated amps. Since Ayre has always been very consistent with the performance of their lines, I imagine both of these new pieces will compete with just about  anything near and probably above their price points.

Ciamara is the trusted leader in high end audio. We deliver the tailored advice and service of the best local stereo shops, but with a dynamic, interactive experience that is only possible on the Web. For more details, we invite you to visit us at ciamara.com

9 minutes ago, Ciamarasound said:

I imagine both of these new pieces will compete with just about  anything near and probably above their price points.

I have no doubt that is true.

13 minutes ago, Ciamarasound said:

I'm also curious as to how this will stack up performance-wise to the AX-5, which I personally own and is my gold standard for integrated amps.

Please report after you get a chance to listen to the AX-8, not sure when I'll get to listen to one. I just replaced my long beloved AX-7 with an AX-5. It's still breaking in (~50 hours) and I am in awe of how good my system sounds - it's stunning! I am super lucky to finally afford it and it is giving me some of the very best sound I've ever heard anywhere - right in my own living room.

So the QX-8 is using a mobile chip similar to the Codex implementation.  I wonder if the chip is going to be USB bus powered like the Codex.  I hope not, can someone ask the rep?

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

2 hours ago, Dr Tone said:

So the QX-8 is using a mobile chip similar to the Codex implementation.  I wonder if the chip is going to be USB bus powered like the Codex.  I hope not, can someone ask the rep?

DR Tone,

I've just got the message from Ayre that the USB port on the QX-8 is bus powered.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like $4,500 for the QX-8 and $7,500 for the AX-8:

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/highend2017/highend2017_ayre.htm

Any insights into how the QX-8 will compare to the twice-as-expensive QX-5?

Also, will these be available in black?

Thanks.

Melco HA-N1ZH60 Mk. 1 --> USB --> Matrix X-SPDIF 2 --> I2S --> PS Audio DirectStream Sr. DAC --> XLR --> Mark Levinson No. 326S --> RCA --> JL Audio E-Sub e110 (active crossover @ 100 Hz) --> RCA --> Bryston 4B3 (Cubed) --> Magnepan .7

I cannot afford the QX-5 currently, so I am hoping the QX-8 at $4,500 price point can better the Codex and QB-9 DACs.  I am looking to upgrade from my Berkeley Alpha DAC series 2. A nice feature of the Berkeley is that its pre-amp allows the DAC to directly feed my MC275 amp.  Hoping the QX-8 has a pre-amp to allow direct link to amp.

Tom

• 1 month later...

Thanks for providing the link to the product brochures. The QX-8 does not include an HDMI input. Am I alone in wishing that Ayre would include at least one for DSD decoding from a suitably equipped blu ray player, such as the OPPO 105? Including at least one HDMI input would seemingly make this product a slam dunk purchase.

villager

3 hours ago, villager56 said:

Thanks for providing the link to the product brochures. The QX-8 does not include an HDMI input. Am I alone in wishing that Ayre would include at least one for DSD decoding from a suitably equipped blu ray player, such as the OPPO 105? Including at least one HDMI input would seemingly make this product a slam dunk purchase.

You're not alone.  I was hoping the QX-5 would have an HDMI input for audio.  I assume the licensing cost was too high.  I purchased it anyway and somehow manage to cope! ;-)

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

For that money the new 8 series had better be a significant step up from the Codex. Perhaps it will offer similar performance but add the increased functionality? The Codex is a really superb performer, substantially better than the qb9 dsd and sets the bar very high at a lowish price point. Ayre never disappoints tho, so I am sure it will be a lovely piece. 

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

• 1 month later...

The integrated amp/dac in the 8 series will be named EX-8 instead of AX-8, I heard. I think this means there's also going to be an integrated amp without dac in the 8 series, which is a good thing from my point of view. I wouldn't be surprised if the first production units of the 8 series will surface the coming month, around RMAF.

• 4 months later...

There's news on the 8-series.

From an Ayre newsletter:

I know that the next question on everyone's mind is; "What is up with the 8 series!"

We are working hard to finalize the EX-8 (Digital integrated amp) and plan to begin shipping it the first week of February. Like the QX-5 it will have optional modules which can be added to expand the types of digital inputs available.

The QX-8 will be next, shipping in May, followed by the KX-8 and VX-8 which we will have as prototypes at the Munich show in May.

By the time we are finished with the 8 series in the fall, there will be 6 - 7 products in the line.

• 1 month later...

Ayre EX-8 (integrated amp with DAC and streaming options) is now shipping according to an official announcement from Ayre tonight. I can't wait to experience the first unit from the new line, which I'm sure will prove to be worth the wait. Price starts at $5.950 in the US.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se (Sweden)

5a97f39267698_Skarmklipp2018-03-0113_35_20.thumb.png.c78d70a3d8ffdc590781987be59d0fd2.png

PERFECT SENSE

www.perfect-sense.se

Showroom in Stockholm, Sweden | [email protected] | 08 518 368 00 | Follow us on Facebook

On 7/27/2017 at 6:47 PM, villager56 said:

On 7/27/2017 at 9:53 PM, Ultrarunner said:

You're not alone.  I was hoping the QX-5 would have an HDMI input for audio.  I assume the licensing cost was too high.  I purchased it anyway and somehow manage to cope! ;-)

Yes the cost is very high, and HDMI is a noise-laden bear to extract audio from, except for the I2S format.  So I agree with their choice: sadly there are just a few rare digital audio interfaces worth the name, one being AES67.  The glacial bandwidth of ancient standards like optical or electrical SPDIF is a disgrace.   

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

16 hours ago, Sam Lord said:

Yes the cost is very high, and HDMI is a noise-laden bear to extract audio from, except for the I2S format.  So I agree with their choice: sadly there are just a few rare digital audio interfaces worth the name, one being AES67.  The glacial bandwidth of ancient standards like optical or electrical SPDIF is a disgrace.   

Exactly as you say, Sam.  With the amount of sales volume we see in high end audio, justifying HDMI licensing costs is typically not economically viable.  We have offered HDMI in the past with the DX-5, but that was simply because it was part of the donor unit anyway and was by far the best video port on the unit.  Even then, we separated the HDMI ports and made an audio-only port to try and clean up that port as much as possible if people were feeding it into a surround sound processor (a feature we noticed was adopted the next year in the stock unit!)  Without dealing with licensing for Blu-Ray decoding, there's no reason for us to try and make someone else's technology sound good, so we build the product from scratch...but of course, that takes away the "easy" way to license the product.

We wish it was easier (i.e. viable) to do and have some ideas we're working on; but it's way too early to even talk about them yet.

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.