IGNORED

Sonore ultraRendu v1.3

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Hi JR  (cc @JohnSwenson)

Does the ultraRendu use the exact same USB3.1 hub chip of the ISO REGEN?

Cheers

No...we use a different hub chip and a different Femto oscillator with it. The Femto oscillators is from Crystek and from the same series, but runs at a different rate.

On 11/28/2018 at 7:07 PM, wilbur_the_goose said:

I posted this on the Emotiva Lounge in a thread in which I sort of lambasted Rendu users.    Decided to pick an ultraRendu on Small Business Saturday with every intention of returning it.   Not gonna happen... 

I use Roon (all FLAC) and I'm feeding the USB into a very good DAC that's a part of my Emotiva XMC-1.

Here's the thread:

===========================

Mea Culpa.
Mea Culpa.
Mea Culpa.

My trial ultraRendu arrived today. It was 35F outside (1C), so I let it warm up on a table for a few hours and then installed it. Took me about 5 minutes once referenced my XMC-1 manual to remind myself where the USB input was located.

My wife and I just spent 90 minutes playing a variety of music via Roon. 

My judgement in a blind A/B test (A = Oppo-UDP203 B=ultraRendu). The ultraRendu was easy to pick out. Fuller, more "analog" sound. Not even close.
Laura's judgement: The ultraRendu. By far.

She says, "You're not sending it back, right..." As a statement, not a question :)

I was wrong. You guys were right.

Thank you for teaching a stubborn student!

The same happened with my wife. First with uRendu and then with a good LPS feeding it. The best upgrade I did in my setup.

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

3 hours ago, esmit said:

You have a USB powered wife?

... aaaaand that's the last time I sip my morning coffee while reading this thread.  I'm now having to clean spewed coffee off my monitor!

Well played, sir!

Front ends:

Digital: Sonore ultraRendu or SOtM 200 ultra Trifecta --> LKS MH-D004

Analog: Clearaudio Performance DC --> Rogue Triton

Back end: SMc Audio VRE-1C --> SMc Audio DNA125 Platinum Plus-->Stealth Dream v10 cables --> Ridge Street Audio Designs Sason speakers, dual Rhythmik F12SE subs

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jesus, I’d always thought that my macmini-ultra rendu-idsd bl dac combo was limited to dsd256 - not dsd512 - because mac os uses dop which would require a dac capable of pcm1024.

Seeing some claims otherwise, on other sites. I’m correct?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

22 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

Hi Jesus, I’d always thought that my macmini-ultra rendu-idsd bl dac combo was limited to dsd256 - not dsd512 - because mac os uses dop which would require a dac capable of pcm1024.

Seeing some claims otherwise, on other sites. I’m correct?

That limitation is for local playback. When streaming some players support higher rates.

/& my setup as above is local playback, using roon, hqplayer, A+?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Thanks Barrows, then I should be good to set to native dsd 512 thru hqplayer /ultrarendu - cpu demand is another matter!

2 hours ago, gordec said:

Just bought the Ultra. Is the best possible sound quality using Roon -> HQPlayer -> then using HQ Player embedded option on the Rendu side?

The uRendu can act as a NAA device for HQP if you set that as the active player; however, HQP embedded must run on an intermediate device like a sonicTransporter. I think you are confusing terms. The path you have shown above would indicate HQP as being HQP desktop as the intermediate device between Roon and the uRendu. Here is one possible path: Roon (on some compatible hardware) -----> HQP (either desktop or embedded) on compatible hardware --------> uRendu acting as the HQP NAA device ------> DAC. Please note that the sonicTransporter for example can run both Roon and HQP embedded on the same machine and a powerful enough desktop could run Roon and HQP desktop on the same machine. In all cases the uRendu acts as the final endpoint. The uRendu cannot run HQP at all.

And, yes this is the way to get the best sound quality if you are proficient at configuring HQP for your prticular DAC.

2 minutes ago, bobflood said:

The uRendu can act as a NAA device for HQP if you set that as the active player; however, HQP embedded must run on an intermediate device like a sonicTransporter. I think you are confusing terms. The path you have shown above would indicate HQP as being HQP desktop as the intermediate device between Roon and the uRendu. Here is one possible path: Roon (on some compatible hardware) -----> HQP (either desktop or embedded) on compatible hardware --------> uRendu acting as the HQP NAA device ------> DAC. Please note that the sonicTransporter for example can run both Roon and HQP embedded on the same machine and a powerful enough desktop could run Roon and HQP desktop on the same machine. In all cases the uRendu acts as the final endpoint. The uRendu cannot run HQP at all.

And, yes this is the way to get the best sound quality if you are proficient at configuring HQP for your prticular DAC.

Thanks. I still prefer Jriver as my player, but I like HQP's sound quality and have not used it much since I bought it. Unfortunately Roon is the only thing that natively supports HQP. I might try Jriver DLNA -> URendu first and go from there. 

Alienware R7 with Paul Pang V2 USB PCIE -> iFi Pro iDSD -> McIntosh MHA100 -> Hifiman Susvara. Keeping it simple!

26 minutes ago, gordec said:

Thanks. I still prefer Jriver as my player, but I like HQP's sound quality and have not used it much since I bought it. Unfortunately Roon is the only thing that natively supports HQP. I might try Jriver DLNA -> URendu first and go from there. 

Set the uRendu for DLNA/MPD as the player and see if that works. DLNA/UPNP is always a crap shoot.