IGNORED

Sonore ultraRendu v1.3

42 minutes ago, soares said:

The ultrarendu will transfigure the sound of your 2Qute.  I could not believe how good was the 2Qute sound after the upgrade. Chose carefully a better power supply for the uR. I bought an LPS-1 and an Sbooster. In my system the Sbooster sounded better. 

Per user reports, the results seem to be opposite with the new generation UltraCap LPS-1.2.  9_9

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Per user reports, the results seem to be opposite with the new generation UltraCap LPS-1.2.  9_9

Yes, it seems so! I do not exclude to try the new LPS-1.2 to feed my new  Qutest, once it arrives.

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

On 13/04/2018 at 9:12 PM, el_cato said:

It took me a while to figure out how to make a reclocker work in the chain... (I do like the  improvement to the sound, to my ears the SoTM tx-USBultra adds more air and more separation). 

So for the benefit of others:

UltraRendu -> FigaroUSB -> SoTM tx-USBultra -> Curious USB -> Chord Hugo 2

To make it work:

1. The SoTM USB port into which the Curious connects has to be powered ON
  2. Hugo ON *before* powering up the UltraRendu. (It seems the Hugo 2 should appear in the UltraRendu "Known Issues" on Sonore's support page (https://goo.gl/jrkr3v) at point 6, "these devices need to be on when the unit boots up".)

For the record, using UpTone JS-2 to power UltraRendu, but waiting for a LPS-2 for the SoTM and using Chord's SMPS for the Hugo 2.

Thank you for sharing. Just a question. Would you say the the SQ improvement justify the upgrade taking into consideration it's price? Tks

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

Just got my UltraRendu waiting for the JS-2.   Super simple pretty much plug and play.  I’m using my second gen HDplex adjusted to 7v to test it out works great sounds stiff I’m sure it’s the HDplex.  It will be a great comparison to hear the difference in SQ once the JS-2 arrives.  

20 hours ago, al210 said:

I'm considering getting the ultraRendu. Most of my files are CD rips to flac and some 96KHZ hi res downloads also in flac.

I use A+ on a macmini now that feeds my Chord 2Qute DAC. Am I wasting my time with just the CD ripped flac files or does ultraRendu only benefit from Hi Res like DSD and such? 

IMHO the ultraRendu/2Qute combo have great musical synergy!  Prior to me using the ultraRendu, I was using a Daphile based (LMS) platform driving the 2Qute over USB.  Even though the Daphile sounds good on its own merit, the ultraRendu opened it up to a whole new level in my system. I listen to redbook and hi-rez PCM (mostly FLAC) and DSD files and adding the ultraRendu has made a noticeable improvement on Redbook in addition to the hi-rez and DSD.  

On 5/11/2018 at 3:01 PM, al210 said:

Thanks for the advice. I was looking at using the HD Plex power supply since it has 2 variable outputs. One for the ultraRendu and a second at 12v for my Chord DAC.

I realize that this is a small point but the HD Plex only has one variable output, the others are fixed. 

I am sorry guys. Not sure if I can post it here. I also posted in the Qutest posts:

"Just arrived my Qutest. I will report on my findings in 1 or 2 weeks time.
Meanwhile, I just discovered that the Qutest does not support native DSD at least with Linux (I am using a sonic transporter i5 + ultraRendu) and Mac. DSD over DoP goes up only to 256. However it acepts native 512 playback with specific drivers provided by Chord. My Oppo 205 does native 512 DSD. Any clues when and if we will get native DSD 512 with Linux and the Qutest? Thanks."

Of course it's native 512 DSD with Windows drivers... Sorry for some possible misleading.

8 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

The only way it would be possible is if Chord updates their firmware on your DAC. 

Tks for the clarification. I never saw a firmware update from chord to the chordette series. Not sure if it is possible. 

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I've ordered a Holo Audio Spring Level 3 from Kitsune HiFi, with a Singxer SU-1 Digital-Digital bridge. (I've had great support from Tim at Kitsune HiFi by the way.) I have more experience with Network DACs than USB and would appreciate some help. I'm confident that directly connecting my PC via a short USB cable to the SU-1 and then HDMI to the Spring will work well. However, I would prefer to put some distance between my PC and DAC by connecting them to the network. I know I can do this by connecting the PC to the network via Ethernet and then connect a network-attached Sonore Rendu to the Singxer SU-1 / Holo Spring. That is: PC > Ethernet > Router  and Router > Ethernet > Rendu (e.g. Ultra Rendu) > USB Cable > Singxer SU-1 > I2S Out > HDMI Cable > I2S In > Holo Spring DAC. The I2S configuration takes advantage of Femto clocks in the Singxer, which are superior to the Holo Spring DACs clocks.

My questions: If I removed the Singxer from the equation and directly connect an Ultra Rendu to the Holo Spring would the quality suffer? Would an older Rendu with the I2S interface work better? Other ideas?

As background, I'm currently using a Naim ND5 XS Streamer connected to a Naim Supernait and Sonus Faber speakers. I like vinyl as well and have a Rega P6 / Ania MC cartridge with Naim phono amp. The above digital units will replace the ND5 XS. I use Roon on a Windows PC to play stored music and Tidal streams. I will replace the PC with a dedicated NUC running ROCK or a Sonic Transporter running Roon Core soon, but that's another chapter. I don't up-sample much, but intend to experiment in future.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tony

On 5/12/2018 at 5:01 AM, al210 said:

Thanks for the advice. I was looking at using the HD Plex power supply since it has 2 variable outputs. One for the ultraRendu and a second at 12v for my Chord DAC.

This will very likely defeat the galvanic isolation of the Chord, make sure to use a separate supply on each.

16 hours ago, barrows said:

Chord DACs (again excepting DAVE) convert incoming DSD to PCM anyway.

can you, please, point me to evidences/official statements about it?

all I can find is Rob Watts talking about DSD being a format limited media where information has already been lost whilst PCM is “engineering limited” meaning there’s still lots of information that can be retrieved with better DACs/Filters, hence his preference for PCM vs DSD

He doesn’t say, though, his DACs are converting DSD to PCM

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

It is well understood that Chord DACs (with the possible exception of DAVE and its separate DSD mode) do not do the best job with DSD playback.  See the post below from Jussi (HQP developer), and it is also well known that Rob Watts does not believe in DSD being a good format and prefers PCM.  I love the Chord DACs, but as my interest is in DSD playback and conversion of PCM to DSD, I choose DACs which perform really well with DSD.  My experience with MOJO suggests that Chord's USB interface has some problems with high rate DSD, even though it should be capable of DSD 256 via DoP, there always seem to be dropouts.  Whereas the interface works flawlessly with PCM up to 768.

1667018480_ScreenShot2018-07-06at9_35_35AM.thumb.png.f630cfd5e33b9543af1c281388b6c2da.png

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

15 hours ago, barrows said:

It is well understood that Chord DACs (with the possible exception of DAVE and its separate DSD mode) do not do the best job with DSD playback.  See the post below from Jussi (HQP developer), and it is also well known that Rob Watts does not believe in DSD being a good format and prefers PCM.  I love the Chord DACs, but as my interest is in DSD playback and conversion of PCM to DSD, I choose DACs which perform really well with DSD.  My experience with MOJO suggests that Chord's USB interface has some problems with high rate DSD, even though it should be capable of DSD 256 via DoP, there always seem to be dropouts.  Whereas the interface works flawlessly with PCM up to 768.

1667018480_ScreenShot2018-07-06at9_35_35AM.thumb.png.f630cfd5e33b9543af1c281388b6c2da.png

This above is what dissuaded me from going with a Qutest - I’ve got heaps of dsd, much of it since the Oppo breakthrough.

Still haven’t decided on a dac (there’ll be an affordable, best-ever-handling-of-pcm&dsd one announced any day now - I’m swimming in confidence ...).

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Qutest here and, honestly, DSDs sound good (better than PCM, to me)

no hiccups whatsoever up to 256 (max my Mac Mini can do)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

7 hours ago, pl_svn said:

Qutest here and, honestly, DSDs sound good (better than PCM, to me)

no hiccups whatsoever up to 256 (max my Mac Mini can do)

What playback software is working for Qutest and DSD 256 (DoP) on OSX?

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Roon (and an Aries as endpoint) is what I use these days

not tried (yet) Audirvana + that I also own

headphones system:

11 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

Roon is what I use these days

not tried (yet) Audirvana + that I also own

Thanks, just wondering because I use my Mojo for mobile use with JRiver, and it has issues on OSX with higher rates of DSD (PCM is up to 768).  I should probably add A+ or ROON to my laptop, as it does work very well for me in my home set up.

SONORE computer audio

On 7/5/2018 at 2:45 PM, barrows said:

@soares, With Chord DACs (except for DAVE) I would recommend feeding them PCM rather than DSD.  

This is what I doing via Roon into my Hugo TT.  I did so to avoid the occasional dropouts that would occur when playing DSD.  I couldn’t spot any obvious degradation.  DSD source material sounds fabulous.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

The ultraRendu will work great with the Holo Audio Spring DAC. However, only you can decide what sounds best in your system. The original Rendu with i2s/SPDIF was setup for the PS Audio specification and utilizes Femto series oscillators. Please consult with Kitsune HiFi for compatibility.    

Thanks Jesus. Apparently the Holo Audio Spring DAC accepts the same I2S protocol. So that should be good. I'll be running Roon on a Windows PC using ASIO. Can you tell me how the original Sonore Signature Rendu would work with Roon in that context?

Tony