IGNORED

Sonore ultraRendu v1.3

12 minutes ago, barrows said:

If it is DoP only then the max rate will be DSD256.  As 705.6 PCM is required for DSD256 via DoP, and 1411.2 PCM would be required for DSD512 via DoP... Unless it can actually handle 1411.2 PCM!

For added confusion (as if I needed more :$) check out the last page of the manual here and the mention of DSD1024

http://www.box-designs.com/inhalt/en/manual/manual_preboxs2digital.pdf

8 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

For added confusion (as if I needed more :$) check out the last page of the manual here and the mentioned of DSD1024

http://www.box-designs.com/inhalt/en/manual/manual_preboxs2digital.pdf

Yep, I am confused!  It does not say anything about requiring DoP either...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

@barrows someone did post that he got Roon to send DSD512 to this DAC, but somehow at 768 kHz. I have no idea what was happening there.

@Em2016 this is way over the head of anyone at Pro-Ject support. They normally rely on audiophile staff at local dealers to get into this level of detail. And John has pretty much moved on to new projects (not Pro-Ject's).

We should move this discussion to the main thread for the Pre Box S2 Digital, instead of hijacking this one. But just for the record, the marketing materials do say DSD512 and sometimes DSD1024 (usually qualified as downsampled to DSD512), but I think those and the manual were written by someone in marketing long before the product was even close to finished. I've been distributing other corrections to that manual for quite some time.

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

3 minutes ago, left channel said:

@barrows someone did post that he got Roon to send DSD512 but somehow at 768 kHz. I have no idea what was happening there.

@Em2016 this is way over the head of anyone at Pro-Ject support. They normally rely on audiophile staff at local dealers to get into this level of detail. And John has pretty much moved on to new projects (not Pro-Ject's).

We should move this discussion to one the main thread for the Pre Box S2 Digital, instead of hijacking this one. But just for the record, the marketing materials do say DSD512 and sometimes DSD1024 (usually qualified as downsampled to DSD512), but I think those and the manual were written by someone in marketing factory long before the product was even close to finished. I've been distributing other corrections to that manual for quite some time.

All noted!

My query is specific to a micro/ultraRendu source playing to this DAC and whether Native DSD512 is supported.

If someone had it working with DSD512 it must be native DSD512 because Roon doesn't support >PCM768k at present. 

3 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

All noted!

My query is specific to a micro/ultraRendu source playing to this DAC and whether Native DSD512 is supported.

If someone had it working with DSD512 it must be native DSD512 because Roon doesn't support >PCM768k at present. 

No he was upsampling to that rate somehow. I found the conversation. Remember this? https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/34777-pro-ject-pre-box-s2-digital-mqa-hw-decoding-at-reasonable-cost/?page=4&tab=comments#comment-725563 

As I recall he has a self-built Linux endpoint, but it seems to me the xRendus would not be a barrier if you could get Roon to cooperate.

1 minute ago, left channel said:

No he was upsampling to that rate somehow. I found the conversation. Remember this? https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/34777-pro-ject-pre-box-s2-digital-mqa-hw-decoding-at-reasonable-cost/?page=4&tab=comments#comment-725563 

As I recall he has a self-built Linux endpoint, but it seems to me the xRendus would not be a barrier if you could get Roon to cooperate.

Yep, I'm only referring to DSD512 via up-sampling. There's very little DSD512 music out there for purchase.

Interesting, it looks like he's manually patched native DSD512 support.

I had completely forgotten about that post (shows how quickly my brain is turning to mush).

It's gotta be native DSD512. But I will ask him to clarify! Thanks for finding that post.

8 minutes ago, MikeRock said:

I'm successfully using Roon to play upsampled DSD512 and PCM768 to a Pre Box S2 Digital via a RPi3 running Ropieee.  Roon DSD is set to native in both Device Setup and the DSP Engine. I sure hope this will work on an Ultrarendu (and sound even better!) as I have one on order.  

Can you report back as soon as you get the ultraRendu if both DSD512 and PCM768 work with Roon?

If sonicOrbiter OS doesn't have the right patch yet but RoPieee does, I'm sure @vortecjr can arrange to get it patched

A couple of things. Thanks to the post above I have the information I need to add support for native DSD. No ETA on this, but it's now on the to do list along with a few other devices. As for DoP support this DAC only support up to DSD256. A higher DoP rate is not possible with given PCM rate listed.

1 minute ago, vortecjr said:

A couple of things. Thanks to the post above I have the information I need to add support for native DSD. No ETA on this, but it's now on the to do list along with a few other devices. As for DoP support this DAC only support up to DSD256. A higher DoP rate is not possible with given PCM rate listed.

Depending on when the device was added to the Kernel we may already have it. However, one report above said native did not work so we have to take that into account. I'm not sure what version of Sonicorbiter he has and that can alter the outcome. I can tell you we have a much new Kernel so in theory it might already be there. Either way I do have the information so no worries.    

5 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Depending on when the device was added to the Kernel we may already have it. However, one report above said native did not work so we have to take that into account. I'm not sure what version of Sonicorbiter he has and that can alter the outcome. I can tell you we have a much new Kernel so in theory it might already be there. Either way I do have the information so no worries.    

Thanks! We have it direct from the designer that this DAC will work in native; turns out it was just feeding it properly that we were struggling with. The same guy who got it working in Linux with Roon has now successfully tested native DSD512 in Windows.

We missed the USPS when they tried to deliver my UltraRendu Saturday.  Fortunately, my wife was nice enough to pick it up from the Post Office today while I was at work. @Em2016, PCM768 works perfectly.  DSD256 via DoP kinda works, although I'm getting some choppiness that might be due to a temporary network setup I've got going on the kitchen table as my preamp on my main system died on me.  I'm looking forward to getting Native DSD512 working (and a new preamp!).

Just now, MikeRock said:

We missed the USPS when they tried to deliver my UltraRendu Saturday.  Fortunately, my wife was nice enough to pick it up from the Post Office today while I was at work. @Em2016, PCM768 works perfectly.  DSD256 via DoP kinda works, although I'm getting some choppiness that might be due to a temporary network setup I've got going on the kitchen table as my preamp on my main system died on me.  I'm looking forward to getting Native DSD512 working (and a new preamp!).

Cheers Mike! Hope you get that new preamp up and running ASAP.

I'm running out of patience on news of Australian availability (I keep asking the distributor here but they have no date) and I keep mulling on the idea of an overseas purchase (Germany or the USA seem to have stock)...

So, I've listened to my new uR now for a handful of hours. The uR with the included Sbooster power supply has been powered up since I received it on Thursday, and has been playing random music for about half that time as well (mostly with my preamp off).

My initial impressions over the mR are below.

There have been improvements in:

- resolution/detail

- instrument separation

- bass tightness/impact

- soundstage image focus

Unfortunately I am also getting an increase in sibilance/stridance in some recordings that I had not heard previously. This is mainly noticeable in female voices where the "s" and other vocalizations are very sharp and cut though in a harsh way. Going back to the mR, these pretty much disappear, although if you really listen for it closely you can still detect it, it's just very diminished to the point where it is no longer annoying or fatiguing. So perhaps this is something that was in the recordings all along, only now brought more to light by the ultraRendu, but I do find it a bit fatiguing.

This is feeding a Gen 5 USB Gungnir Multibit DAC, just for everyone's reference.

More burn-in time and listening is ahead.

1 hour ago, rlow said:

So perhaps this is something that was in the recordings all along, only now brought more to light by the ultraRendu, but I do find it a bit fatiguing.

Bingo!  When you increase true resolution in a system by upgrading one component, this type of outcome is always possible as you may end up revealing another problem somewhere else in the system via the increased resolution.  Make sure everything is well burned in, and then start considering where that increased sibilance might be coming from, and never forget that it is possible the sibilance is on the recording and is just now being resolved at this level.  The way to rule out if it is on the recording is to see if it just shows up on some recordings and not others of a similar nature.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

1 hour ago, rlow said:

So, I've listened to my new uR now for a handful of hours. The uR with the included Sbooster power supply has been powered up since I received it on Thursday, and has been playing random music for about half that time as well (mostly with my preamp off).

My initial impressions over the mR are below.

There have been improvements in:

- resolution/detail

- instrument separation

- bass tightness/impact

- soundstage image focus

Unfortunately I am also getting an increase in sibilance/stridance in some recordings that I had not heard previously. This is mainly noticeable in female voices where the "s" and other vocalizations are very sharp and cut though in a harsh way. Going back to the mR, these pretty much disappear, although if you really listen for it closely you can still detect it, it's just very diminished to the point where it is no longer annoying or fatiguing. So perhaps this is something that was in the recordings all along, only now brought more to light by the ultraRendu, but I do find it a bit fatiguing.

This is feeding a Gen 5 USB Gungnir Multibit DAC, just for everyone's reference.

More burn-in time and listening is ahead.

I can't believe I am saying this but you should try the Phasure "Lush" USB cable. It helped get rid of any trace of sibilance/stridance I was experiencing in my setup. That cable and the Teddy Pardo power supply did the trick.

1 hour ago, Speed Racer said:

I can't believe I am saying this but you should try the Phasure "Lush" USB cable. It helped get rid of any trace of sibilance/stridance I was experiencing in my setup. That cable and the Teddy Pardo power supply did the trick.

Lol, I like the intro to that statement. In general I am not a cable believer either, but I will invest in something of decent quality/value. I am currently using a Curious Regen Link (short 8 inch cable) and I did swap for some cheaper, longer cables just for the heck of it and did notice a difference (surprisingly), so might be worth a try. I did find with the cheaper cables, the uR lost some of the benefits I stated, but did also lose some of the sibilance as well. Perhaps the Lush would keep the good and remove the bad, who knows. I won't buy something like that new/full price though (especially something that iffy) so I may be waiting a while for one to show up used in Canada.

In the meantime I caught a line on an Uptone LPS-1 that should come to me in a week or so, which I will be interested to compare with the Sbooster.