IGNORED

MATRIX X-SPDIF 2 ('32Bit/768kHz DSD512 Hifi Audio USB Interface')

Hey CA,

As of today I pulled the trigger on this new USB -> IIS/AES/Coax interface from Matrix  (literally as in the past week or less, purchased from Shenzen Audio):

MATRIX X-SPDIF 2 32Bit/768kHz DSD512 Hifi Audio USB Interface 

From their (Matrix) website, this is under pre-release / first batch status as of this month. I couldn't help grabbing one to try after reading the spec sheet and the native power topology - meaning the default method of supplying DC is external.
Searched around on here and could only find impressions of the V1 (matrix x-spdif), so I'd thought I'd start an impressions, thoughts, etc thread on the latest rev.

Hi Enser,

I just found this product also when searching for I2S converters.  How much is it and have you confirmed it works with the I2S W4S protocol?

SOtM sMS-200ultra (12v, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

SOtM tX-USBultra (12v, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

Singxer SU-1 (7v SOtM sCLK-EX, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

W4S DAC2v2 SE (SOtM sCLK-EX silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

Mutec REF 10, Bryston BP6, Trinnov Altitude 32, 9 x Bryston 7B³s, B&W 800D3s, B&W HTM1 D3, 2 x Arendal Sub 3,

SOtM dCBL-CAT7 (ISO-CAT6 SE), SOtM eABS-200 installed on all components, JCAT NET Card FEMTO, mRendu, dCS Rossini DAC, Chord Hugo 2, Schitt Yggy, Chord Qutest (ordered for home office), UpTone ISO Regen, 5 x UpTone LPS-1s, 4 x PH SR4s, 5 x UpTone LPS-1.2s

Sounds like we were thinking the same thing. Grabbed it from ShenzhenAudio (bought it this morning so its about to ship from them): https://www.shenzhenaudio.com/matrix-x-spdif-2-32bit-768khz-dsd512-hifi-audio-usb-interface.html . Roughly the same cost as the SU-1.

My research is pointing towards success with DAC2v2 (since the SU-1 is the only one I've read issues about with this combo), and the fact it uses the PS Audio pinout.

I will post an update the day I get it! :D

W4S  use the same pin layout as PS Audio  except they swap pin 1 and 3.  Hopefully it will work or maybe a custom cable will be required.

Singxer SU-1 (7v SOtM sCLK-EX, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

W4S DAC2v2 SE (SOtM sCLK-EX silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

Mutec REF 10, Bryston BP6, Trinnov Altitude 32, 9 x Bryston 7B³s, B&W 800D3s, B&W HTM1 D3, 2 x Arendal Sub 3,

SOtM dCBL-CAT7 (ISO-CAT6 SE), SOtM eABS-200 installed on all components, JCAT NET Card FEMTO, mRendu, dCS Rossini DAC, Chord Hugo 2, Schitt Yggy, Chord Qutest (ordered for home office), UpTone ISO Regen, 5 x UpTone LPS-1s, 4 x PH SR4s, 5 x UpTone LPS-1.2s

As an owner of the first 100 pieces of Matrix X-Sabre Pro ES9038 (single) DAC with XMOS U8 USB input, I am curious about this model.

(1) Matrix explained that they had used U8 intentionally, although X208 as well as X216 had been available at the moment of X-Sabre Pro design.  They told me via the store from which I had purchased mine that U8 was more mature and audio signal processing did not require the computing power of XU series.  They seem to have changed their strategy within less than half a year.

(2) According to the user manual of X-SPDIF2, only two I2S output patterns can be set.

"B defnition" is exactly the same as that of PS Audio, which Matrix X-Sabre Pro follows  Unlike W4S, this is the exact implementation.  I also got DSD pin assignment from Matrix that is not open yet but the same as PS Audio.  Therefore, PS Audio DACs and Matrix X-Sabre Pro will work perfectly with X-SPDIF 2.  Especially, the owners of PS Audio DSDAC and DSDAC Junior will be able to enjoy DoP direct outout of X-SPIDF 2, for these DACs use only DoP internally.

"A definition" s a simple phase inversion of No.1/3 and 7/9 from "B definition".  I do not know any DAC that will work with this pin assignment.  Although the pin assignment No.1 to No.12 is the same as that of LKS MH-DA003/004, LKS DACs require DSDOE on No.14 and DC5V on No.18, which X-SPIDF 2 does not supply.  It means LKS DACs are very unlikely to work with it.  Gustard DAC-X20/X20 Pro will have no chance, either, due to lack of No.18 DC5V, even if phase and channel inversion is ignored..

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, the pin 1 & 3 & phase shift has got me thinking. BJC can't terminate HDMI pins in a non-spec config (and they are pre-terminated in China), which isn't terribly surprising knowing the cluster around HDMI compliance, etc.

Not a show stopper- for example you can get HDMI breakouts from Adafruit with euroblocks or solder pads.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3119

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3118

And of course this would work with making a custom SU-1 IIS cable...

• 4 weeks later...

My unit works with W4S Dac-2DSDse without any I2S compatibility issue (in "B definition" output pattern and MasterClock "ON") up to DSD256. But in case of DSD512 there is "shhh" sound in right channel (broken synchronization?).

2 minutes ago, pm325 said:

y unit works with W4S Dac-2DSDse without any I2S compatibility issue

How does it sound compared to USB?

Right now unit powered via USB (current chain: SotM tx-USBexp -> W4S RUR (LPSU 9V) -> iFi iPurifier2 -> Matrix X-spdif 2). Sound under WTFplay more smooth, quiet and with minimal punch compared to build-in USB. I need proper LPSU for it...

Thank you for letting us know it works without issues.

I'm going to wait for someone to compare this to a SU-1 before deciding which to order.

On 06/28/2017 at 4:28 PM, pm325 said:

My unit works with W4S Dac-2DSDse without any I2S compatibility issue (in "B definition" output pattern and MasterClock "ON") up to DSD256.

How can you confirm that there is no absolute polarity inversion?

As W4S disclosed the pin assignment which was different from that of PS Audio, there should be a compatibility issue.

Frankly, I didn't hear any changes with phase inversion via remote control of W4S ;) In practice, the absolute phase of an audio system can be assumed to be inaudible (for some people). More important - there is no channel swapping. For example, my PinkFaun I2S bridge and SDtrans384 in dff-mode both have swapped L/R channels with W4S.

I realized that offline DoP-Wav incapsulated DSD256 (by VinylStudio) under wtfplay give more detailed and powerful sound then online DoP-conversion of DSF files (DSD Native mode not supported for Matrix X-spdif 2). Less CPU utilization?

On 13/05/2017 at 9:37 AM, MINORISUKE said:

As an owner of the first 100 pieces of Matrix X-Sabre Pro ES9038 (single) DAC with XMOS U8 USB input, I am curious about this model.

(1) Matrix explained that they had used U8 intentionally, although X208 as well as X216 had been available at the moment of X-Sabre Pro design.  They told me via the store from which I had purchased mine that U8 was more mature and audio signal processing did not require the computing power of XU series.  They seem to have changed their strategy within less than half a year.

(2) According to the user manual of X-SPDIF2, only two I2S output patterns can be set.

"B defnition" is exactly the same as that of PS Audio, which Matrix X-Sabre Pro follows  Unlike W4S, this is the exact implementation.  I also got DSD pin assignment from Matrix that is not open yet but the same as PS Audio.  Therefore, PS Audio DACs and Matrix X-Sabre Pro will work perfectly with X-SPDIF 2.  Especially, the owners of PS Audio DSDAC and DSDAC Junior will be able to enjoy DoP direct outout of X-SPIDF 2, for these DACs use only DoP internally.

"A definition" s a simple phase inversion of No.1/3 and 7/9 from "B definition".  I do not know any DAC that will work with this pin assignment.  Although the pin assignment No.1 to No.12 is the same as that of LKS MH-DA003/004, LKS DACs require DSDOE on No.14 and DC5V on No.18, which X-SPIDF 2 does not supply.  It means LKS DACs are very unlikely to work with it.  Gustard DAC-X20/X20 Pro will have no chance, either, due to lack of No.18 DC5V, even if phase and channel inversion is ignored..

Very useful info, than you. Received mine yesterday - very solid bit of kit I have to say.  However, it does not appear to work with an Audiobyte Black Dragon either which may be the 5V on pin 18. 

I've played around with the settings with no joy. :-(

Wilson Benesch Full Circle[br]Benz Micro LP[br]Cambridge Audio NP30[br]Chord Electronics Blu[br]Chord Electronics QBD76[br]Chord Electronics Symphonic[br]Chord Electronics Prima[br]ATC 20 ASL Towers

17 hours ago, pm325 said:

Frankly, I didn't hear any changes with phase inversion via remote control of W4S ;) In practice, the absolute phase of an audio system can be assumed to be inaudible (for some people).

If so, your message that there is no incompatibility issue is misleading.  Somebody might purchase X SPDIF 2 for his/her W4S DAC, believing your message.  Unlike Leter of Singxer (SU-1), I do not think Matrix will make a special version of firmware for W4S.

1 hour ago, aswillman said:

However, it does not appear to work with an Audiobyte Black Dragon either which may be the 5V on pin 18. 

I've played around with the settings with no joy. :-(

Suppose that Sonore's "curiosity" list is correct, you need to set "A definition" + DC 5V on No.18.  Buy a pair of HDMI breakout (@USD 3.50 at AliExpress), and add 5V from USB.  See my post with photos in LKS USB-100 thread.

Otherwise, buy SU-1 and sell your X SPDIF 2.  SU-1 should work with your DAC with a proper jumper setting and firmware selection without HDMI breakouts.  There is DC 5V on No.18.

20 minutes ago, hurka said:

this card new

It's at least as new as the X-SPDIF 2, and it's only $149.  I'd like to find out what clock it uses.  I sent Matrix an email to ask them this question.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

1 hour ago, rickca said:

It's at least as new as the X-SPDIF 2, and it's only $149.  I'd like to find out what clock it uses.  I sent Matrix an email to ask them this question.

Matrix answered my email.  They said 

X-Hi oscillator uses EPSON active crystal, 10PPM.

Anybody have any idea about the quality of that item?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

• 2 weeks later...

Have had over a month to evaluate this DDC. Works excellent with the W4S DAC2v2se with the following modes: mclk - on ; iis reverse - on (A definition) ; DoP to native - on (excellent sounding).  DoP to Native is limited to DSD 256, regardless of it 'only' being 256, it sounds very very good.

This is with a uRendu running in NAA mode (v2.5 Sonic Orbiter build), powered by an LPS-1 @ 7v. 

Using a VBUS2 in front of the USB connection. Using another LPS-1 @ 7v to power the DDC.

Using a standard HDMI cable via LVDS IIS.

Dont have the proper gear to measure any potential phase issues, but it sounds excellent. Have listened for any 'smearing' and the like that could point to phase problems- I'm not hearing any. No sync issues, very low noise floor (this is with my ears) and it sounds like it adds clarity and further definition to the music. I will be making my own HDMI cable with a pin 1/3 or 7/9 swap (depending on the IIS 'definition' setting of choice) to see if there is any difference.

Playback is without pops or any artifacts through the DDC, and as stated before, it stays in sync. Have ran it for a few days straight and the above status remains.

This is not the case going straight USB to the DAC2v2 (pops, sync issues, etc). Again this is with my uRendu.

I will be trying other devices with it for native DSD playback to try DSD 512, and will report back my experience. 

Regardless, this plus the W4S DAC2v2se is excellent sounding. As usual YMMV, but I can recommend this without hesitation.