IGNORED

Help-Anyone using RME Fireface with JRiver?

I don't use internal sound card so that shouldn't be an issue for me. 

Is it possible for me to ask you a favour, please?

Could you confirm that if you were to make multiple zones in JRiver, the zones can be sent to RME separately and output to different amplifiers? RME Fireface UFX specs says 60 channels but I only see 8 channels output. Perhaps, 10 or 12 channels out if I take into account of the headphones output. I want about 48 channels output and was told that it can be connected to another RME via spdif. Is that correct?

I know it would be easier if I can get a RME or Focusrite on trial to experiment but we don't have that kind of facilities over here.

Thanks.

The cabling becomes a nightmare, I don't know the fireplace, so can't comment. 

The way RME assign channels is the standard L & R is two channels from the one output like SPDIF 1. For the channels you want, a huge snake is needed.

Jriver can assign different zones to different channels, no real problem,  but ask at Jriver to confirm the limit just in case.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Probably the best way to connect other devices for the extra channels is via ADAT.  How well that works with Jriver I have no idea.   Other less expensive devices would take ADAT input if some outputs are less critical to you.   Also you might do this with two Focusrite Clarett 8PreX units which would cost the same as one RME.  These are Thunderbolt rather than USB units however.

Now what you wish to do sounds like what Ravenna and Dante are made for actually.  Doing that isn't exactly inexpensive at this point either unfortunately.  You might investigate the Focusrite Rednet units which all connect and are controllable over ethernet using Dante.  This might be within your budget.  I haven't used one just read about them.  So input from someone knowledgeable would be better.  There are reports from a few people using JRiver with the Rednet units.

I hope this becomes standard fare.  It is basically audio over IP.  Any computer with playback software and a virtual Dante soundcard lets you control all these units over ethernet.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

https://us.focusrite.com/sites/default/files/focusrite/downloads/20349/rednet-installation-guide_0.pdf

Take some time looking at the various Rednet devices.  Some of these get pricier than I remembered.

I am not sure how your situation is physically laid out.  Could you use the Rednet 3 which is basically for switching 8 ADAT and 8 AES/EBU signals?  The ADATs can handle I think 2 channels of 192 or 4 channels of 96 or 8 channels of 48 khz.  Please note, though the same connector and cable is used the ADAT format is not the same as SPDIF over Toslink.   If you had that and all DACs that take the ADAT inputs maybe that is a solution. 

Maybe do some looking for other forums where people use Dante and Jriver to provide some answers. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality.