IGNORED

Best DAC today for $800 USD

Folks-

I'd welcome your recommendations for DACs around $800.

minimum USB, toslink and coax inputs 

Nwk Streaming would be nice, but not a requirement.

My starting list:

Oppo Sonica

Marantz NA8005 (you have to hunt for this price point, but I have seen it)

TEAC UD-503

Schiit Gungnir (non- Multibit)

NuPrime DAC-9

Any other suggestions?

Cheers

Best Stereo System: Wired Sonos Connect -> AQ Cinammon Digital Coax -> Marantz SA-8005 -> AA Black Momba 2 interconnects -> Marantz PM-15S2 -> Kimber 8TC speaker Cables -> Zu Soul Superfly speakers.

Ingest> NAS> Distribution: Sony Vaio Laptop ripping via ITunes to Apple Lossless, manually synced to WD Mycloud NAS, Linksys 1900AC Router, Netgear Gig E switch, generic Ethernet cables, TPLinc ethernet power line extenders.

iFi micro-iDSD Black Label, if you are doing software upsampling.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Very Interesting article if you are looking for a USB headphone DAC - thanks for sharing!  

I'm looking for a DAC with all 3 digital input types though...

Best Stereo System: Wired Sonos Connect -> AQ Cinammon Digital Coax -> Marantz SA-8005 -> AA Black Momba 2 interconnects -> Marantz PM-15S2 -> Kimber 8TC speaker Cables -> Zu Soul Superfly speakers.

Ingest> NAS> Distribution: Sony Vaio Laptop ripping via ITunes to Apple Lossless, manually synced to WD Mycloud NAS, Linksys 1900AC Router, Netgear Gig E switch, generic Ethernet cables, TPLinc ethernet power line extenders.

Consider Schiit Bifrost multibit at $599, paired with an Uptone REGEN at $175. My guess is that this combo COULD beat the Schiit Gungir non-multibit you are looking at, although that really just my surmise based on reading lots of reviews and posts about the Gungnir. I have a Bifrost/REGEN combo that I find thrilling to listen to (still) after 18 months with that setup.

Interesting review of the uptone regen at Stereophile:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/uptone-audio-usb-regen#PQCx4WFQRvRFxGy9.97

i have the AQ jitterbug which make a slight difference on my desktop system...

57 minutes ago, mfsoa said:

I'm liking my Gustard A20H. I have 3 Raspberry Pis connected to it via optical, USB and coax.

Did you build the Pis yourself or buy them pre- assembled?

I'm auditioning the i one at the moment. I use the USB, SPDIF optical and my wife and kids use the Bluetooth input. Much of the above mentioned dacs are a bit pricey for what they are and I don't find their sonic signature natural. I'm a tone freak. I haven't made my mind on the i one yet as I'm still running it in. It takes a bit of break in. damm it. but so far, it is more than ok. just buy from music direct and send back if you don't like. My family does this for me as they are in the USA.

I also built Moode Raspberry PI 3 with a Hifiberry Digi+ Pro sending bits via coax to my Peachtree iNova. I'm shocked how well it works and sounds. Anyway, here's another DAC review right in the price range of the OP:

http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/dac/oppo-digital-sonica-dac-review/

For me, the Oppo Digital Sonica might be the ticket. Besides being a cheapskate, I'm loathe to spend a lot on bit money on any rapidly evolving technology.

5 hours ago, One and a half said:

What about the new Grace Design m900. Has dual hp outputs, usb to DSD256,  rca line outs to amps,  bus powered,  painted black with volume control.  

Street price of USD499. 

WWW.gracedesign.com 

Looks good, what do you know about it?

14 hours ago, jventer said:

Looks good, what do you know about it?

The m900 is released this week. I own the m920 and the previous model, both good, down the line DACs. There's no need for re-invention as these DACs are reliable pieces of kit and have the runs on the board. 

So a new Dac based on these should have a good foundation. The chips are new to Grace but the overall sound will be different than the larger DAC, which way..... I shrug shoulders,  just have to listen, hey. 

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA