IGNORED

HQPlayer 3.16.1 refuses to start in Windows 10 laptop, Windows says it has stopped working

Miska,

Can you help?

Installed HQPlayer 3.16.1 on Windows 10 laptop.

Install was successful, however program won't start.

Upon trying following dialog box is shown,

HQPlayer-desktop.exe has stopped working.

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.

Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

Windows's Application event log has following,

Faulting application name: HQPlayer-desktop.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x58e95449
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000004e2b86e
Faulting process id: 0x46b8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2c9573999324f
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Signalyst\HQPlayer Desktop 3\HQPlayer-desktop.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 3dfe24ce-1e96-433d-81b1-d4d47b78309f
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Is there HQPlayer specific log i can pull?  Or start the program in some sort of safe mode?

The home LAN has been re-ip'ed from 10.0.0.x to 192.168.90.x, and i'm wondering if HQPlayer is hitting something, somewhere due to this change.

Nonetheless the symptom is 100% reproducible.

Thanks much,

It seems that you are having the same problem reported by other users:

Have you recently done a system update?

This should help you:

* Win10 CU (Version 1703) without KB4016871 - HQPlayer works

* Win10 CU (Version 1703) with KB4016871 - HQPlayer crashes

* Win10 AU (Version 1607) without KB4019472 - HQPlayer works

* Win10 AU (Version 1607) with KB4019472 - HQPlayer crashes

30 minutes ago, Miska said:

There is now version 3.16.1 out to fix this problem. This release is a "hotfix" and contains some other minor changes and didn't get much testing for those changes, but I included everything I had by this time because ripping something out also tends to cause unexpected side effects...

Thanks, Miska!  HQPlayer 3.16.3 works with MS update KB4016871.   I have attached my previous error message, but you probably don't need it now.

error.docx

mQa is dead!

21 hours ago, bibo01 said:

It seems that you are having the same problem reported by other users:

Have you recently done a system update?

This should help you:

* Win10 CU (Version 1703) without KB4016871 - HQPlayer works

* Win10 CU (Version 1703) with KB4016871 - HQPlayer crashes

* Win10 AU (Version 1607) without KB4019472 - HQPlayer works

* Win10 AU (Version 1607) with KB4019472 - HQPlayer crashes

Yes, i'm up to date with latest Windows 10 update which has both of those KB's installed, and not readily in position to roll back any of that KB install.

I first ran into following post which shared the same symptom,

, but the suggested approach didn't seem to line up with my situation, so i didn't pour through any further in that thread elsewhere,

4 hours ago, Miska said:

There is now version 3.16.1 out to fix this problem. This release is a "hotfix" and contains some other minor changes and didn't get much testing for those changes, but I included everything I had by this time because ripping something out also tends to cause unexpected side effects...

Thank you!

Confirmed the latest version avoids hitting the startup issue.

May 11 2017 HQPlayer Desktop 3.16.3 released.
Fixes crash at application startup after Windows 10 update KB4016871/KB4019472. Plus various minor changes.

3.16.1 doesn't solve it for me. Have to roll Windows back 2 upates, to May 6.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

8 minutes ago, firedog said:

3.16.1 doesn't solve it for me. Have to roll Windows back 2 upates, to May 6.

I'm pretty sure that Miska meant to say 3.16.3 rather than 3.16.1.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Yep, 3.16.3 did it for me. I did, BTW, have to reinstall it after the update again for it to work without the crash.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

16 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Same here ?

I updated my MicroRendu as well. Not sure if there was an updated NAA, but I think so. 

It had updated versions of Roon Ready and the NAA.

Thats why Jeaus said details were at the Roon and Signalyst sites.

• 1 month later...

Same problem for me with HQPlayer Desktop 3.16.4 I just acquired - Windows 10 64 bits . I have tried uninstall/reinstall version 32 bits and 64 bits of the software.

With the 32 bits version I have this error message Error: Access violation at 0x00419A80 (tried to read from 0x00000000), program terminated. LastCP is 'RF'.

• 5 weeks later...

I also have a problem with version 3.16.4 with 64 bit Windows 10. Installation went fine but application crashes at startup. Can someone help me with that? I would like to try some earlier versions but I can't find them anywhere. I was just about to start my trial and try the program in action.

I just tested 32-bit version of 3.16.4 on 64-bit Win 10 Creators Update and it starts and works just fine.

Just in case, did you always uninstall old version of HQPlayer before installing a new or other one (32/64-bit version)? 

I recommend to run HQPlayer uninstaller and then make sure that there are no files left under C:\Program Files (x86)\Signalyst and C:\Program Files\Signalyst

Then perform install again and see if it helps... If you are trying to accidentally start version 3.16.1 or earlier due to double installation, it won't work.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I always uninstalled previous version before trying to install again. I tried it one more time though and made sure the folders were surely empty. But same crash happens when I start the program and press Ok after counter has reached 0 and I'm able to press it.