IGNORED

NAD M50.2 compatibles?

>  I'm also interested in the NAD M50.2, and like the OP,  have been frustrated by the lack of reviews on the Web.  My principal question, however, is not how the NAD stacks up against similarly high-end (-priced) players but whether it significantly outperforms the BlueSound Vault 2. The NAD is more than three times the price of the BSV2! 

>  Like the NAD, the BSV2 comes with a  CD burner and 2TB storage, and of course the same streaming software (plus its own internal DAC that the NAD lacks). The NAD does offer the benefit of a mirrored backup for the storage and a couple extra connections over the BSV (but the HDM:I on the NAD will not work with i2S DACs). 

I have just returned a loan M50.2 and I'm happy to share my experience.  It's a brilliant piece of kit let down badly by its firmware - ie the way it works.

Compared with the Vault 2 if offers much more.  It's a CD player, CD ripper, music store, radio and streamer amongst other things.  The Vault 2 is a CD ripper, music store, DAC and preamp, although the last 2 features are likely to be far less good than what's offered by NAD's Master Series.

I'll quote from my emails to Bluesound / NAD concerning my trial:

1st Message:

I’m astonished and disappointed to hear that the 50.2 cannot be controlled by the very fancy IR remote control handset that’s included with the M12 and M32.  Why is this?  The remote has facilities for controlling a number of components including CD player, music player, etc, yet the M50.2 won’t even allow advancing to the next CD track without a PC or tablet being on and the BluOS app loaded! 

The IR remote will control (advance to next playlist track, pause, etc) the BluOS module if included with the M12 (and presumably the M32) , but it appears not to control the BluOS feature in the M50.2 – unless it does so through the M12 and the Ethernet connection – please advise on this 

These are serious deficiencies and will surely adversely affect sales – or will disappoint buyers who haven’t checked out the control capabilities of the M50.2.  For NAD to offer a top level CD player (accepted that it does other things too) without an infra red remote control facility is crazy.  How much would it add to the cost to include an IR receiver?  Peanuts.  You could offer the HTMR2 or a less fancy remote as an option to buyers without NAD amplification.

With the M50.2, NAD is offering a rare product – a CD ripper that will also play CDs in real time without ripping them.  Essential with borrowed or library CDs that one doesn’t necessarily wish to rip.   This is my main reason for seriously considering a purchase (of both M50.2 and M32), but a CD player must have an IR remote control facility.  Please let me know if this feature is likely to be added to M50.2 in future.

2nd Message:

I’ve just taken delivery of an M50.2 on loan from my dealer – firmware version 2.12.6.  It is connected by AES/EBU to my M12.  I’m having terrible trouble with controlling it!

Firstly, the totally adequate 5 page online User Manual says “Open a web browser on your tablet or smartphone, enter http://10.1.2.3 and press “Go” or ENTER.”  Unfortunately there appears to be no such site.  I found a link to a Bluesound Forum discussion about the same problem with a Node 2, but that doesn’t help except to say “go to Help, Diagnostics” without saying where to go for help or what to do.  It’s not the M50.2 front panel (no Help button) nor the Windows app (no Diagnostics under Help), so where?

The manual also says “Depending upon Rip/Play options settings, the loaded disc will “Always Rip”, “Always Play CD” or “Prompt for Rip or Play”.  Where are these Settings to be found?  The front panel has Settings but none relate to Rip/Play options and the app has no Settings icon, so where? 

From pressing Standby, it takes a tedious 29 seconds for the M50.2 to even light its LCD screen (M12 takes 8), then one has to get an app going before seeing the option to Rip or Play.  Choosing Play for a CD takes a further 15 seconds to start Track 1 playing.  That’s far far too long - very tiresome!

Pressing and holding the Standby button takes 6 seconds for M50.2 to shut down – M12 takes a sensible 2 seconds. We have to push our finger on the button for a full 6 seconds!

A CD inserted into the slot cannot be played from the front panel controls, despite a Play icon.  Neither can it be started using the HTRM-2 with CD selected, although once started using the app, the IR remote will advance to the next track, pause, etc

Volume cannot be adjusted from the M50.2 page of the Controller – I have to switch to the M12 page.  If previously looking at my Library (or Tidal’s), maybe a few stages in, and I switch to M12 to change volume, my “place” is lost when I switch back to the M50.2 page – I’m back at root directory and have to start again by selecting Library or whatever.  This is surely wrong?  Why can’t Volume be adjusted from the M50.2 page in Controller?

I suspect I’m going to find other aspects of this apparently un-coordinated control software that are troublesome, but perhaps you could address these ones first.  If this costly equipment is so difficult to control without a Bluesound degree, then I’ll have to return it, despite its excellent features and the fact that it ticks all the boxes on paper.

3rd Message:

With reluctance I’ve returned the M50.2 to the dealer for a number of reasons, although I was really hoping it would live up to its most attractive expectations.  Some reasons:

1. The control of a system with two BluOS modules (as mine was) is a nightmare.  Granted the BluOS board could be removed from the M32 (or M12) but this would mean an extra cable in the signal path.

2. A CD cannot be played without an open app.  Why cannot the Play button on the IR remote (or the touch screen) assume you want to play the inserted CD?  If this simple change was made, the M50.2 could be controlled as any other CD player – by use of an IR remote handset such as the HTRM-2. 

3. The 50.2 suffered occasional dropouts from music stored on its own HD and from the hard-wired NAS and from streaming services – the last perhaps excusable as it could be down to my internet speed.  I have never experienced a single dropouts from my M12 with BluOS card, nor from the loan M32, nor from my Sonos.  It could be that the loan M50.2 has a fault

4. I’m reluctant to purchase an audio product from a manufacturer that doesn’t bother to provide a User Manual.  I’d normally expect a proper printed booklet, but NAD doesn’t even provide an online manual for the M50.2.  All that’s available is a listing of the uses of the front and rear panel sockets, etc.  This is lamentable and has seriously reduced my inclination to purchase.  Why do you provide comprehensive (online only) manuals for the M12 and M32 yet none for the equally complicated M50.2?

5. A problem with the BluOS app in general is that playlists are very difficult to edit.  Moving tracks can only be done one position at a time and blocks of tracks cannot be removed.   A mere touch of the mouse or finger on a playlist track (often accidentally) will instantly interrupt play and start playing that track.  This is most unsatisfactory and could so easily be remedied – by requiring a double click on a track to instigate play – as done by Sonos. 

I hope you will forward this email to NAD’s marketing director as this product could and should be an exceptionally good piece in many high end systems.  Not much effort is required to vastly improve its usability and I will reconsider its purchase if firmware and software changes can be offered to rectify the problems I’ve highlighted.  As a CD player, CD ripper, music store, radio and streamer, it is unique in the market as far as I know and requires only an amplifier and speakers for a fully comprehensive system for audiophiles not requiring vinyl.

To be honest and fair to NAD and Bluesound,  some of my observations turned out to be incorrect or could be got round by getting used to its quirky operation requirements.

The NAD IR remote DOES control some features of the 50.2 when being used as a CD player or server.  However the Play button does not start play.  This has to be done via an app (totally unnecessary for a CD player), but thereafter Pause, Next and Previous and Stop do work from the remote.

I make no excuses for rubbishing the User Guide.  It is totally inexcusable that a costly and complicated audio component should have such an inadequate manual.  This deficiency causes frustration and a feeling that buyers are being ignored once they've bought the item.  However with a bit of fumbling around, some of the items I raised resolved themselves. 

It does take an inordinately long time to boot up which is particularly tiresome if one just wants to play a CD.  I overcame the long turn off time (hold finger on button for 6 seconds) by using the far easier method of using a trigger from the preamp operated by the IR remote.

My problem of adjusting the volume from the 50.2 page of the app was misguided as there's a secondary volume control bar towards the right hand side of the (Windows) app screen, thus allowing volume to be adjusted without leaving the 50.2 page.  Not mentioned in the manual of course!  Or one can of course use the IR remote or touch screed of the preamp.

My last email summarised the relatively small changes to firmware and software that would hugely improve the 50.2's user interface - and the Bluesound app.  I'm waiting for a reply to that message.  I'm sure it will come (they replied to the earlier ones) but I have my doubts that they'll quickly make life easier for owners.  If they do, I'll buy one as it ticks all the boxes for me. Apart from the problem of occasional dropouts (which may hopefully be down to a faulty unit), it sounds amazing and does everything I expected of it, albeit in a most frustrating way!

I too am considering a Vault 2 but this does only part of the job.  I will want a CD player as I recently sold my Mark Levinson 390S in anticipation of the M50.2.  With a single HD in the Vault, frequent backups are needed (the 50.2 has RAID so all music is held on both its HDs), but that's about it.  The Vault has features that I won't want as I have a NAD M12 digital preamp (possible changing to an M32 integrated) so I'm considering a simple twin HD or SSD CD ripper (probably from Zone Ripper) and a used CD player.  But just possibly NAD will take note of my (and I hope other's) critical comments on the 50.2's control systems and Bluesound's clunky app.  Both could, with a bit of determination by NAD, be easily and vastly improved.

Sorry about the rambling reply, but I would love this product on my shelf after it gets its act together!

Peter

PS I'll report back if I get any encouraging reply from NAD / Bluesound

My NAD M50.2 takes about the same time to boot as my Aurender A10, and the NAD has two way drivers for my RTI remote which allows for control and feedback such as cover art

Good idea using the trigger: the on/off control on the unit is not  user friendly

The M50.2 is controlled by the Blu OS, which takes a little getting used to, so if you got a Vault 2 the interface would be similar

Point is, if you take a little time to get used to the M50, it really is a nice unit

Hi Mark

>  The M50.2 is controlled by the Blu OS, which takes a little getting used to, so if you got a Vault 2 the interface would be similar

>  Point is, if you take a little time to get used to the M50, it really is a nice unit

Yes, but "time getting used to" a product is all very well if you are the only person using it.  With Sonos, I can pass the app to any friend who can see easily how to add to or edit a playlist.  With Bluesound, despite several very good upgrades since I started with it 2 years ago (mostly suggested my me and no doubt others), it's still awkward to use and easy to get things playing you never intended.  Just accidentally touch the playlist screen and you get your music rudely interrupted.  Sonos demands a double click - easy solution.  That's just one example of what I mean.

Yes, the M50.2 is a brilliant piece of kit, but I should be able to use it without having to refer to a non-existent user guide. 

I'd use the Vault to feed my M12 or M32 which has the BluOS module, but I could equally use any NAS.  I'm currently using a excellent  RipNAS, but this is nearly full and the CD drive is playing up.  I'm inclined to get a twin drive Zone Ripper rather than a Vault, although I'd much prefer the M50.2 if it behaved like a grown up!

As an M50.2 and Bluesound user, do you have sympathy for the 5 points in my last email to NAD?  Please let me know if you've found a way to play a CD without the help of a PC or mobile phone.

Thanks  Peter

Peter and Mark, thank you both for responding and keeping this thread alive!

Like Peter, I'm really rooting for this product to work, but I do consider the unit's cost somewhat exorbitant for its specs. For the $4k  price tag, I'm  getting  a streamer and OS that can be purchased  separately (I already own it) for $500, and the other $3500 is paying for a CD player/burner and 2 TBs of storage with mirrored backup.  The $3500 for this latter set of features seems hard to justify, especially when the  Vault does package most of what I need into a $700 supplement over the Node.  And as attractive as the NAD  is as a single unit, that $3500 could be well-spent in configuring  a CD/server as separate components, whose performance and features would far outpace the NAD.  

Now all of this is moot if, as Peter indicates, there are basic usability problems with the NAD, To tell the truth, Peter's account of his travails with the NAD does not surprise me one bit.  About five years ago, I had a problem with the disc-drive on a NAD Viso Two.  And true to form, the NAD website was patently wrong about firmware and updates being performed by the end-user, and so this would have required  a factory fix.   Tech support is definitely not NAD's strong suit.  Case in point:  You may recall that in my first post, I mentioned that the M50.2 does not support I2S DACS through its HDMI output.  The reason I know this, is because I contacted NAD support in order to reconcile contradictory statements I found about I2S compatibility on NAD's site vs. that of its resellers.  The head of NAD support initially gave me a rambling off-target  answer until I forced him to go back and read through the conflicting list of specs.  I then furnished him with the websites of NAD's resellers so he could send them the updated spec sheets he sourced from his engineers.  Glad I got to do NAD's job for them (again!).   The only thing I asked in return is whether he could give me an honest appraisal of the sound quality differences between the NAD and the Vault.  I followed up with him twice.  Still waiting for his response.

The biggest factor for me is using their desktop app.BS is good,  sonos better. 

Still use able for me with the blueos,  still lacking but gets me 80,% of the way. 

I work or surf using a laptop whilst listening,  so switching windows with a mouse to control and select my music is way more convenient that lifting my phone or tablet which take 10x more effort and longer.

>  I work or surf using a laptop whilst listening,  so switching windows with a mouse to control and select my music is way more convenient that lifting my phone or tablet which take 10x more effort and longer.

Both Sonos and BloOS have Windows apps, so you can switch to either without having to find your phone or tablet.  Many of the Bluos shortcomings have been addressed over the last couple of years, but my main gripe now is the issue of Playlist editing and that it's far too easy to touch a track which immediately causes your music to be interrupted with the track you accidentally touched.

I stuck with Sonos for years as I couldn't find any other manufacturers app acceptable (Naim, etc).  With Bluesound, I noticed that it was far more "Sonos-like" and that led me to buy the M12 with BluOS board. 

agreed the NAD is far from perfect, but I came from  an Olive 06HD  so I guess my expectations were lower!

so far the biggest features of the NAD for me are:

• cover art from HDMI out in high resolution
  • ability to mix ripped CD's and streaming tracks to a playlist
  • IOS app that is well done

My contacts with NAD have been though  Bluesound:  I had some issues with the RTI driver and he was responsive and sent me new firmware quickly.

I bought the NAD in addition to the Aurender A10 thinking I would sell or return one of them: I like them both so much I don't want to part with either one

markrubin

At the risk of veering off topic on this thread I would really appreciate your detailed impressions of the Aurender A10.  I currently have a Bluesound Node 2 that I enjoy very much but I will be moving it to a new addition to our home and am looking to replace the Node 2 in my main system.  As good as the Node 2 is I am looking to higher end systems like the A10 or Lumin A1 or T1.  I have been very curious how much better a streamer/dac like the A10 at $5500 is than the $500 Bluesound.

2 hours ago, randyhat said:

markrubin

At the risk of veering off topic on this thread I would really appreciate your detailed impressions of the Aurender A10.  I currently have a Bluesound Node 2 that I enjoy very much but I will be moving it to a new addition to our home and am looking to replace the Node 2 in my main system.  As good as the Node 2 is I am looking to higher end systems like the A10 or Lumin A1 or T1.  I have been very curious how much better a streamer/dac like the A10 at $5500 is than the $500 Bluesound.

Randyhat,

I recently auditioned the Lumin T1 and was not impressed.  The sound quality was not nearly as good as the PS Audio DirectStream Junior which I was also testing at the time; plus, the Lumin's controller app only works on an iPad, unlike the far more OS-friendly Node 2.  Because we both have the Node 2 and are looking to upgrade, it seems that we're in the same boat.  Unlike a couple of the others here, I haven't had any issues with the BluOS, though I haven't tried anything very sophisticated with it.  The BluOS seems to work for me, which is why I was debating  the merits of Vault 2 vs the M50.2   If you're comfortable with the BluOS, the decision might instead be: what external DAC to use, rather than throwing the Node 2 overboard.  I just started listening to the MQA tracks through Tidal, and was pretty impressed with how they sounded on the PS Audio, though the controller app for that unit is still very much a work in progress.  I  then tried exporting the MQA tracks from my Node 2 to the PS Audio's DAC, but there seemed to be real timing issues.  I'd like to try some standalone DACs with my Node 2 to see how they work.  The newly updated Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ starts shipping tomorrow, so I might start there for MQA, but I do have an Aqua La Scala MK II coming this week to audition redbook tracks.

Mark

>  so far the biggest features of the NAD for me are:

• cover art from HDMI out in high resolution
  • ability to mix ripped CD's and streaming tracks to a playlist

I didn't connect an HDMI cable - perhaps I should have.  Tell me, you say it shows the cover art, presumably on a connected TV screen.  Does it also show the information shown on the touch screen eg the Artist Name, Track Title, etc?  I'd find that helpful as the touch screen is unreadable from where I sit.

Also, not only can you mix Hard Drive stored tracks and streaming tracks to the playlist, you can also include tracks from an inserted CD.  I did a listening test of the same track from these 3 sources playing one after the other.  Add a HD version too if Qobos offers it.

I often add albums to a playlist during the course of an evening's listening - easy and tempting with Tidal - but some albums are not to my liking.  I just wish I could block delete the entire list of tracks from that album and then save what I like as a playlist for future listening.  It's easy to do this with Sonos, but Bluesound allows only single track deletion.  Deleting 20 or so individual tracks takes away the will to live!

Peter

Randyhat,

I had the Aurender X100L and used the Brooklyn as  MQA DAC: then was offered a trade up to the A10

the A10 still has an audio USB output in addition to analog balanced and unbalanced,  all on all the time

The A10 is first class all the way and the IOS app is excellent

as far as sound quality, I can discern no difference between the X100L, the A10, and the M50.2: it is more about the features and the OS and GUI

since the NAD is reported to do all the MQA unfolding on board, the DAC is less critical in my opinion: I have several DAC's that I use with the NAD

2 minutes ago, markrubin said:

since the NAD is reported to do all the MQA unfolding on board, the DAC is less critical in my opinion: I have several DAC's that I use with the NAD

Mark, is that for the NAD M50.2?  If it's the same as the BluOS in the Node, I thought it would only do the first "software" unfolding before sending to an external non-MQA DAC.

3 minutes ago, markrubin said:

that is for the M50.2 only

Mark,

Sorry to be dense, but are you're saying that the M50.2 does all three layers of unfolding before sending to an outboard dac?  If so, that would be a significant design difference from the Node or Vault, and a major selling point for me.  The Node/Vault  only unfold  to 24/96, per the Bluesound site.

https://support.bluesound.com/hc/en-us/articles/115006191908-Why-Isn-t-My-External-DAC-Playing-MQA-

13 minutes ago, DrDetroit said:

Mark,

Sorry to be dense, but are you're saying that the M50.2 does all three layers of unfolding before sending to an outboard dac?  If so, that would be a significant design difference from the Node or Vault, and a major selling point for me.  The Node/Vault  only unfold  to 24/96, per the Bluesound site.

https://support.bluesound.com/hc/en-us/articles/115006191908-Why-Isn-t-My-External-DAC-Playing-MQA-

based on this: we have been discussing this on AVS:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1530195-nad-m17-m27-23.html#post54867696

but I agree it is still confusing:

when I fed  the Mytek Brooklyn MQA from the M50.2, the MQA light on the Brooklyn changed to red, which I think means it is receiving fully processed MQA

I have no proof either way though

10 minutes ago, markrubin said:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1530195-nad-m17-m27-23.html#post54867696

when I fed  the Mytek Brooklyn MQA from the M50.2, the MQA light on the Brooklyn changed to red, which I think means it is receiving fully processed MQA

Hi Mark, thanks for the link to the AVS site!   I notice there's a quoted email there from Erich at NAD.  Based on the very evasive language Erich used in that response and based on the ridiculously off-mark answer he gave me when I first asked him about the I2S protocol, I'm thinking that we're not getting the complete story from NAD on MQA playback.  One way to check, would be to run MQA off a Node and then off a M50.2 to see if an external DAC registered any bit rate differences.  I'm *guessing* that NAD did not customize the BluOS software to do all three unfolds.  

49 minutes ago, markrubin said:

Peter

yes the HDMI out is same as front screen of NAD: and it is in HD and looks beautiful:

there is a menu setting to turn HDMI audio on/off: when turned on the SPDIF outputs are off: but the HDMI video is always on

Thanks Mark

I have, within the last half hour, won an Ebay auction for an M32 amplifier.  This means I could add an HDMI card that should display the M32 touch screen info only a TV.  Whether it's work paying £130 for this is debatable.  If I eventually get an M50.2, then the LED display from both the 50.2 and 32 could be seen on the TV screen, although presumably by using 2 HDMI input sockets on the TV.  Food for thought!

Peter

The review of the M50.2 is finally up at hometheaterhifi.com.   I have to admit that by having it previewed on the site back in June, I had expected a more in-depth review and comparison.  But at least it's finally up.  

Like others, I am rooting for this unit as I was hoping it would serve as the server for a unified whole-house ecosystem.   But after Peter's experience, I may wait for the dust to settle or just look elsewhere.  If others are having a positive experience with the M50.2, I'd sure like to hear about it.  

Thanks!

58 minutes ago, Nuz1 said:

The review of the M50.2 is finally up at hometheaterhifi.com.   I have to admit that by having it previewed on the site back in June, I had expected a more in-depth review and comparison.  But at least it's finally up.  

Like others, I am rooting for this unit as I was hoping it would serve as the server for a unified whole-house ecosystem.   But after Peter's experience, I may wait for the dust to settle or just look elsewhere.  If others are having a positive experience with the M50.2, I'd sure like to hear about it.  

Thanks!

That's a pretty favourable review and I wouldn't disagree with the reviewers comments and conclusion.  It is a great bit of kit, but in my view there are some (not very many) stupid things that could have been done much better from a user interface point of view - as I've mentioned.  Most reviewers seem most reluctant to point out deficiencies with a product they are testing, apart from a few minor points to suggest an apparent lack of bias!

The review doesn't mention the inordinate time it takes to get a CD playing if that's what one wants for instance.  Neither does he mention the laughably described "user manual".  Just take a look here - https://nadelectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/M50_2_eng_OM_v04.pdf.

I'm certainly not giving up on this device as it's the only thing out there that does all I want in a single box, but I did return the demo one to the dealer.  I'm still waiting for a considered reply to my email to NAD in the hopes that some of what I've said may influence a firmware upgrade.  Many users may be prepared to put up with its cumbersome ways, but I'd prefer to sit tight until it's improved.

The review mentions that it is MQA compatible, but not that it isn't DSD compatible.  I know nothing of DSD but it seems to be highly regarded by many.  I don't know if that is something that could be added in future by a firmware update.  Also for the relatively modest extra price, I'd like to have SSDs inside rather than HDs - or at least as an extra cost option.  Also, I suspect that it would boot up much more quickly with solid state drives.

Peter

I finally got a response from NAD on whether the M50.2 sounds substantially better than the Bluesound Vault:

"The M50.2 uses much higher specification components, as well as two hard drives for redundant storage (and of course a nicer chassis) as well as more connection options. The better quality components are where the performance improvements come from, however I would select based on your system, and keeping a good balance of components.  We hope this information is helpful."

This tepid marketing endorsement of their own product is perhaps an attempt at negative psychology -- "Fine, I'll buy it then!"

No doubt the hardware specs on the NAD outshine those of the BSV, but  I'm under the impression that they use same ARM processor, plus, we have NAD's own note on their website that the BluOS is really the M50.2's defining feature:

"The M50.2 is a 'software defined' product, meaning that much of the functionality of the system is defined by software not hardware."

I can't recall, but has anyone on the thread tried  to compare the M50.2 to  a BS Node/Vault in outputting to  an external DAC?

On 10/15/2017 at 1:27 PM, markrubin said:

Re Mytek Brooklyn MQA indicator:

• Green dot = MQA valid, the MQA is detected.
  • Blue dot = MQA authored, the MQA is detected and the file is fully authenticated.

mQa is dead!

8 hours ago, DrDetroit said:

I finally got a response from NAD on whether the M50.2 sounds substantially better than the Bluesound Vault:

"The M50.2 uses much higher specification components, as well as two hard drives for redundant storage (and of course a nicer chassis) as well as more connection options. The better quality components are where the performance improvements come from, however I would select based on your system, and keeping a good balance of components.  We hope this information is helpful."

Ha ha - Nothing given away there!

I'm sure that if you are using the full potential signal path of the Vault and compare that with the comparable path using the M50.2, the latter would sound better.  By this I mean that you rip a CD, then play back from its hard drive though its own DAC and volume control to feed a power amp, you will find a noticeable improvement with the 50.2.  This should be entirely down to better post-hard drive processing.

If you use the Vault simply as a CD ripper and NAS ie you use an external streamer to extract the music via your network and then on to an external DAC, etc, there should be no difference whatsoever, provided both use the same ripping software. 

This should identify the CD from internet sources (RipNAS uses Gracecoat and 2 others if necessary), download the front cover artwork and most importantly to look up the precise bit count for each track on the CD and to rip and re-rip if necessary until it has a perfect match on its hard drive with what it has established should be there.  dBpoweramp is the leading software for this I believe.  It's what RipNAS and Zone Ripper use and one can verify results by looking at the Microsoft Home Server report on your PC to check for "accurate rip".  If either the Vault or 50.2 doesn't use this software to obtain bit perfect rips, I'd go elsewhere - but I'm sure that the 50.2 does and probably the Vault too.  I've yet to fully investigate.

Peter