IGNORED

Jriver and Chromecast audio multicasting

Hello,

following a fantastic article from your site i was able, through bubbleUpnp, to stream my music via Jriver to my chromecast audio device and play it. 

Now i bought a second chromecast audio for another room in oud house and also installed it so i can use it that way. Time for my question however:

using the Google Home app i linked the two chromecast audio' s to be able to use them together (and of course in sync). With an app like Spotify this works like a charm. Although Jriver an JRemote recognize the linked chromecasts as a nee dnla-renderer and i can choose it as a device to stream my music to, nothing more happens....no music..using them seperately they both work however. 

I am trying this setup because using Jriver ability to link zones doesn't work, at least not in sync.

Any thoughts on why my setup doesn't work would be appreciated.

Hi Jaap,

There appears to be a problem using JRiver with the BubbleUPnP Server's created DLNA renderer for the linked Chromecast Audios. JRiver's (internal) standard UPnP/DLNA controller's use of UPnP eventing with the linked CCAs DLNA renderer is upsetting BubbleUPnP Server for some reason.

You can switch UPnP eventing off by right clicking the linked CCAs DLNA renderer in Now Playing, selecting the last option, DLNA Controller Options, and selecting Ignore Transport Events. You'll also need to restart the BubbleUPnP Server, as the linked CCAs DLNA renderer will otherwise remain unresponsive.

Incidentally, standard UPnP/DLNA music file streaming has no concept of synchronous playback of its renderers, hence the reason why linking them in JRiver's zones doesn't get them to play synchronously and therefore for you having to use the Chromecast Audio's native synch/linking function instead.

Also, you need to be careful when getting JRiver to play to standard UPnP/DLNA renderers from its own library if you want to avoid it unnecessarily transcoding the music files. If you haven't configured JRiver to add any DLNA server setups, it uses the Generic DLNA server by default. The Generic DLNA server has been preconfigured to transcode all files to MP3 when necessary (Audio Mode: Specified output format only when necessary; Audio Format: MP3 high bandwith). Presumably it should only transcode to MP3 if the UPnP/DLNA renderer doesn't support the original audio format of the music file. Unfortunately, this appears to be broken since it always makes it necessary to transcode with whatever UPnP/DLNA renderer I've tried it with, all known to support the original audio format!

Setting the Generic DLNA server's Audio Mode to Original, in Tools>Options>Media Network>Add or configure  DLNA servers, should stop JRiver from trancoding the original music files. You could instead of modifying the Generic DLNA server, add your own DLNA server with its Audio Mode set to Original. However, make sure the correct DLNA server been selected for the linked CCAs DLNA renderer in the Associate with DLNA Server option (second to last option, right clicking the linked CCAs DLNA renderer in Now Playing).

Hope this helps.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Thank you so much for your reply. Everything is working like a charm now. Furthermore, with the extra information (hadn't thought about the transcoding) I now am listeling to my original Flacs instead of transcoded Mp3's.

Everywhere the same beautiful music: You're my hero!

I'm using BubbleUPnp for Tidal HiFi through JRiver MC22  renderer to Oppo 105 DAC via usb. I have 7.1 Magnepan speakers. The front speakers are 3.6's. with a custom built Odyssey amp. DLNA is set in JRiver and Audio is set to Oppo ASIO.  I also have a new Asus ZENBOOK Pro UX501VW-XS74T laptop with TIDAL loaded. Comparing the sound between the two systems is very subtle. The same song going directly from the laptop to Oppo has a little bass heavy sound. From Bubble through JRiver has a slightly cleaner sound, without the heavier bass. They both sound great. I've been comparing music from the Masters collection. If you have had military service, TIDAL offers a military discount.

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 5/7/2017 at 1:01 PM, Jaap said:

Hello,

following a fantastic article from your site i was able, through bubbleUpnp, to stream my music via Jriver to my chromecast audio device and play it. 

Now i bought a second chromecast audio for another room in oud house and also installed it so i can use it that way. Time for my question however:

using the Google Home app i linked the two chromecast audio' s to be able to use them together (and of course in sync). With an app like Spotify this works like a charm. Although Jriver an JRemote recognize the linked chromecasts as a nee dnla-renderer and i can choose it as a device to stream my music to, nothing more happens....no music..using them seperately they both work however. 

I am trying this setup because using Jriver ability to link zones doesn't work, at least not in sync.

Any thoughts on why my setup doesn't work would be appreciated.

Where's that great article you talked about?

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, rickca said:

A microrendu or ultrarendu will show up under Network Players, not Music Servers.  A Music Server running Sonicorbiter would be one of the products from Small Green Computer.

6 minutes ago, tonitoman said:

Hi all,  first time setup... Why does it say no sonic orbiter OS server found on network? Is there a problem with the OS?

I updated, rebooted, rebooted modem. All is connected. Dac is cosecant wavelength. 

15327906646841916706689.jpg

Hi tonitoman

Your first post in this thread was a bit cyptic - are you trying to set up jRiver to get it to control a microRendu so that it can network stream under UPnP/DLNA from JRiver's UPnP/DLNA media server?

If so, what exactly is your problem?

Is the computer (running JRiver) Windows or Mac?

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox