IGNORED

Anyone have any info on The Bricasti Design Model 5 Network Player

Are using the Bricasti Ethernet Network Player?

Before this Switch I Used a Netgear GS108 Switch w/Uptone Audio JS-2 Linear Power Supply (much better then SBooster) and the upgrade was not small or subtle.

It was absolutely eye watering and will make that great Lo phonostage obsolescent.

I mean you own a $15k phonostage. $649 and it will be worth every penny but this is just my opinion. Plus they have 15 day trial but trust me when I tell you - you will never send it back but all this is based on your Bricasti having the Network Player option which I assume yours does.

All i can tell you is - the combo - is the biggest audio improvement I’ve even stumbled across and if you already own a Bricasti and have the Network Player? Well you would be in for a treat but then again that Lo will be collecting dust...lol.

I can sit here and tell you with all certainty it will blow your mind. There is nothing subtle about it. My digital system was no slouch before I made this upgrade and honestly I’ve paid thousands more and gotten so much less but to each their own. It’s one of those things where you need to hear it to believe it because the math shouldn’t offer this type of bump but it sure as heck does! Either way great system you have there and thanks for contributing :) 

Ypsilon Phaethon Integrated Amplifier w/6H30DR NOS Tubes / SR Orange Fuses > Bricasti Design M1SE MDx DAC w/Network Card / Roon Endpoint > Focal Sopra 2 Loudspeakers >   Antipodes S40 (v5.2H Board / K30 Engine) Audio Server + Antipodes S60 HSL50 Hybrid Linear Power Supply (2-Rails) w/AfterDark Silver Reference Black River Series DC Cables Uptone Audio EtherRegen Network Switch / Re-clocker > AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10MHz Master Clock Sin wave 75ohm w/Mini Circuits BLP10.7+ BNC Filter > AfterDark Black River Carbon Fiber 75ohm BNC Master Clock Cable  > AfterDark Modernize LPS x2 12V (2-Rails) > Wyred 4 Sound PS-1 LPS (4) Rails  > Solid Tech ROS Reference Model 4 Audio Rack System  > SRA Ohio Class XLIsolation Platform Synergistic Research Tranquility Basik Isolation Platform Active w/MIG 2.0 Footers and Silver Tuning Bullet  > Solid Tech Small TT Isolation Platform (3-Shleves) Tara Labe: The One Power Cord 2.0M (5-Cables> Audience AU24se HP 1.0M AC Power Cable  > Nordost Frey 2 Speaker Cables 4.0M Spades > Nordost Frey 2 XLR Interconnects 1.0M > High Fidelity Cables Reveal XLR Interconnects 5.0MAudioquest Vodka and Cardas Clear Ethernet RJ/E Cables  > Synergistic Research Atmosphere Acoustic Field Generator Tower Mini w/ATM Red Tuning Module  > (15Synergistic Research HFT’s (6PS Audio Noise Harvesters;
 DESKTOP 2nd SystemDali Menuet Loudspeakers (Gloss Black) > Rega Brio Integrated Amplifier (2021)Denafrips Aries II R2R DAC > Singxer SU-2 USB Digital Interface > Antipodes S40/S60 Audio Server / Roon Core (Networked from Main system) >Apple iMac Retina 5k 27-Inch (2021) Roon Remote / USB AudioKanto S6 Desktop Speaker Stands > Cardas Neutral Reference Speaker Cables 1.0M  Spades > Darwin Ascension Plus Silver Interconnects RCA 0.3M > Tara Labs The One AC Power Cord (2) > Zu Event MKI AC Power Cable 1.0M > Cardas Clear USB Cable 1.0M > Curious Cables USB Regen LinkBlack Cat Silver Star BNC S/PDIF Cable 1.0M > Synergistic Research Tesla QLS-6 Power Strip 

~ Fsmithjack            
 My Website  https://ctronicmusic.com/ 

Ypsilon  Bricasti  / Focal  Uptone Nordost / AfterDark / Solid Tech  

46AC9095-7EB4-4698-82FE-FC5E9E837893.png

Question for those with the M5. How does one choose which output is active during playback or are all outputs active at the same time?

Also, has anyone compared the SPDIF output to the AES in terms of SQ? Supposedly USB output SQ depends on DAC in use so I wonder if the same applies to these other output options or if its been universally deemed that most who have tried USB feel the other outputs are better?

Lastly, I find it interesting that the direct ETH card installed within the M1 DAC can compete with the M5 at all since I would imagine that the M5 may have more processing/ram horsepower onboard given its larger frame and internal realestate compared to what could be fitted onto just a small ETH card.

In addition, with the M5, it has its own dedicated power source compared to the ETH card option within the M1 that probably gets its power from one of the existing PS internal to the M1. I wonder how the additional power draw from the inclusion of the ETH card being installed within the M1 impacts the DAC, if at all compared to the same DAC without the ETH card?

I've got an itchy finger holding onto my credit card with sights set on the M5 as my next purchase but cant decide if having a DAC with ETH builtin is a better way to go or not.

54 minutes ago, cjf said:

Question for those with the M5. How does one choose which output is active during playback or are all outputs active at the same time?

Also, has anyone compared the SPDIF output to the AES in terms of SQ? Supposedly USB output SQ depends on DAC in use so I wonder if the same applies to these other output options or if its been universally deemed that most who have tried USB feel the other outputs are better?

Lastly, I find it interesting that the direct ETH card installed within the M1 DAC can compete with the M5 at all since I would imagine that the M5 may have more processing/ram horsepower onboard given its larger frame and internal realestate compared to what could be fitted onto just a small ETH card.

In addition, with the M5, it has its own dedicated power source compared to the ETH card option within the M1 that probably gets its power from one of the existing PS internal to the M1. I wonder how the additional power draw from the inclusion of the ETH card being installed within the M1 impacts the DAC, if at all compared to the same DAC without the ETH card?

I've got an itchy finger holding onto my credit card with sights set on the M5 as my next purchase but cant decide if having a DAC with ETH builtin is a better way to go or not.

Great questions, thanks.

I will have Brian Zolner respond to your technical questions directly. I will update you with his response soon.

I myself own the M1SE and love it and Brian is in the process of sending me his M5 so I can review it and speak about it to you guys first hand as it compares to the M1. Many people want to know how they compare so this will be great.

I will have both set up my rig and I will share impressions, pictures and provide any feedback to any questions. I can tell you my M1SE network player sounds fantastic. I will respond soon with Brain's response and more details. 

Thanks  

Ypsilon Phaethon Integrated Amplifier w/6H30DR NOS Tubes / SR Orange Fuses > Bricasti Design M1SE MDx DAC w/Network Card / Roon Endpoint > Focal Sopra 2 Loudspeakers >   Antipodes S40 (v5.2H Board / K30 Engine) Audio Server + Antipodes S60 HSL50 Hybrid Linear Power Supply (2-Rails) w/AfterDark Silver Reference Black River Series DC Cables Uptone Audio EtherRegen Network Switch / Re-clocker > AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10MHz Master Clock Sin wave 75ohm w/Mini Circuits BLP10.7+ BNC Filter > AfterDark Black River Carbon Fiber 75ohm BNC Master Clock Cable  > AfterDark Modernize LPS x2 12V (2-Rails) > Wyred 4 Sound PS-1 LPS (4) Rails  > Solid Tech ROS Reference Model 4 Audio Rack System  > SRA Ohio Class XLIsolation Platform Synergistic Research Tranquility Basik Isolation Platform Active w/MIG 2.0 Footers and Silver Tuning Bullet  > Solid Tech Small TT Isolation Platform (3-Shleves) Tara Labe: The One Power Cord 2.0M (5-Cables> Audience AU24se HP 1.0M AC Power Cable  > Nordost Frey 2 Speaker Cables 4.0M Spades > Nordost Frey 2 XLR Interconnects 1.0M > High Fidelity Cables Reveal XLR Interconnects 5.0MAudioquest Vodka and Cardas Clear Ethernet RJ/E Cables  > Synergistic Research Atmosphere Acoustic Field Generator Tower Mini w/ATM Red Tuning Module  > (15Synergistic Research HFT’s (6PS Audio Noise Harvesters;
 DESKTOP 2nd SystemDali Menuet Loudspeakers (Gloss Black) > Rega Brio Integrated Amplifier (2021)Denafrips Aries II R2R DAC > Singxer SU-2 USB Digital Interface > Antipodes S40/S60 Audio Server / Roon Core (Networked from Main system) >Apple iMac Retina 5k 27-Inch (2021) Roon Remote / USB AudioKanto S6 Desktop Speaker Stands > Cardas Neutral Reference Speaker Cables 1.0M  Spades > Darwin Ascension Plus Silver Interconnects RCA 0.3M > Tara Labs The One AC Power Cord (2) > Zu Event MKI AC Power Cable 1.0M > Cardas Clear USB Cable 1.0M > Curious Cables USB Regen LinkBlack Cat Silver Star BNC S/PDIF Cable 1.0M > Synergistic Research Tesla QLS-6 Power Strip 

~ Fsmithjack            

21 hours ago, cjf said:

Hello CJF - here is the response from Brain Zolner to your questions. I hope this helpful and feel free to put forwarss any other questions you may have. Thanks 

In simple terms the #1 is the M1 with the network installed, next from the M5 # 2 is AES, #3 is SPDIF and last is USB.  but this is using an M1 or M12 to test,  one might have different results with other products, but that is what I prefer.  If he has the money the M1 is the way to go, but when you connect it to the M1,  its easy to hear too, the AES though is very close, its quiet relaxed similar depth and color,  USB is the most processed sounding and colored.  I use same cables from my router to both to test as well, you can hear the same track from the same source file at the same time to both paths.

He is looking at it the wrong way, should be does the M5 keep up with the M1.   Same streamer in both products, same compute resources as it’s the same processer we made, same power supply with direct feed from the linear supply in both products, enough current with the supply.  The important difference is when installed in the M1 the data goes direct with I2S to the DSP, and when using the M5 it’s the same thing inside the M5 and then out the AES or USB to the M1’s inputs and they feed to the DSP.  So just a different path for the same data.   The streamer was made for the M12 and M1 then we adapted it to the M5 as a standalone for anyone to use, and without having to use USB.

~ Fsmithjack            

1 hour ago, matthias said:

@fsmithjack

Two question for Brian:

1.) Is it possible to get the M1 with Ethernet input and without USB input?

2.) Will Bricasti be exhibitor at High End 2018 in Munich?

Thanks

Matt

You got it Matt. Thanks and I will get right back to you.

Thanks 

~ Fsmithjack            

10 hours ago, Jeff Miller said:

They will be in Chicago for the Axpona show in April

Hey Matt, Here is Brian' Zolner's response:

- No, it comes along as standard as does all the other digital inputs.

- Maybe, but we are unable to get a room there, very costly and no demo rooms at all.  He should simply contact a dealer and have a test drive.

~ Fsmithjack            

23 hours ago, fsmithjack said:

Hello CJF - here is the response from Brain Zolner to your questions. I hope this helpful and feel free to put forwarss any other questions you may have. Thanks 

In simple terms the #1 is the M1 with the network installed, next from the M5 # 2 is AES, #3 is SPDIF and last is USB.  but this is using an M1 or M12 to test,  one might have different results with other products, but that is what I prefer.  If he has the money the M1 is the way to go, but when you connect it to the M1,  its easy to hear too, the AES though is very close, its quiet relaxed similar depth and color,  USB is the most processed sounding and colored.  I use same cables from my router to both to test as well, you can hear the same track from the same source file at the same time to both paths.

He is looking at it the wrong way, should be does the M5 keep up with the M1.   Same streamer in both products, same compute resources as it’s the same processer we made, same power supply with direct feed from the linear supply in both products, enough current with the supply.  The important difference is when installed in the M1 the data goes direct with I2S to the DSP, and when using the M5 it’s the same thing inside the M5 and then out the AES or USB to the M1’s inputs and they feed to the DSP.  So just a different path for the same data.   The streamer was made for the M12 and M1 then we adapted it to the M5 as a standalone for anyone to use, and without having to use USB.

Hello @fsmithjack

Thanks for taking the time to forward on my questions.

Are you a dealer by chance? If so, are you a dealer for Bricasti?

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks to fsmithjack for passing along Brian's answers. CJF, I am a Bricasti dealer in the metro NY area and may be able to help you with home auditions, but only if fsmithjack is not also a dealer or you don't have a local dealer where you are. These are two exceptional sounding products and, in my opinion, bring network streaming to a new level. 

Tidal Audio Agoria Loudspeakers; VAC Master preamp; Merrill Audio Christine preamp, Merrill Audio Jens & VAC Renaissance Phono Preamps;   Bricasti M28 & Merrill Audio Element 118 Monoblock Amplifiers; Sonore Signature RenduSE Optical network player; Bricasti M12 Source Controller/ DAC; Spiral Groove SG-2 TT with Centroid Arm & Transfiguration Proteus Diamond Cartridge; Ampex ATR-102 Reel-Reel with Merrill Audio Master tape head preamplifier; Ansuz signal and power cabling and power distribution; Symposium Isis racks 

INDUSTRY AFFILIATION: Dealer- XtremeFidelity.net (VAC,  Bricasti, Merrill Audio,  Sonore, Ansuz, Synergistic Research & others)

1 hour ago, Afveep said:

Hi,

Thanks to fsmithjack for passing along Brian's answers. CJF, I am a Bricasti dealer in the metro NY area and may be able to help you with home auditions, but only if fsmithjack is not also a dealer or you don't have a local dealer where you are. These are two exceptional sounding products and, in my opinion, bring network streaming to a new level. 

Thanks AFVeep - no please jump right on in.

I am just a CA member, suffering audiophile, Bricasti owner, fan of the brand and friends with Brian but not a dealer. Please follow this thread and the other Bricasti thread below because there are a lot of folks I am sure that would love to have an active CA member that is also a Bricasti dealer that will work with them on home editions. Thank you for the offer to help my fellow CA members supporting our rabid computer audio hobby.. The M1, M5 and M12 are some killer digital products but the M5 is dirt cheap for what it offers. There is no better streamer / Network player out there. There just isn't... 

Brian is sending me his M5 so I can set it up my in system in tandem with my M1SE so I can roll out some serious A/B's so I can speak to the fella's and gals first hand about how they compare and I will share feedback, pics and info, etc.

~ Fsmithjack            

5 hours ago, fsmithjack said:

Brian is sending me his M5 so I can set it up my in system in tandem with my M1SE so I can roll out some serious A/B's so I can speak to the fella's and gals first hand about how they compare and I will share feedback, pics and info, etc.

Nice, looking forward to your A/Bs !

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently purchased/received an M5 for my system. Its a very nice piece of kit. I was taken a back by its high build quality and heft of the unit while removing it from the box. Impressive!

I was previously using the USB Input on my Benchmark DAC3 DX fed by a Sonore MRendu which was powered via a Lab Grade LPS. The new setup now uses AES OUT from M5 to AES IN on the DAC3. The MRendu and all the pieces required to make it sound half decent will be a great stocking stuffer to friends and family. :D

Anyway, the end result now in terms of SQ while using the M5 in my system is most excellent. As an added bonus, I am able to use it to feed music to both my Benchmark DAC3 and my Lynx Hilo at the same time, one via SPDIF and the other via AES. The Lynx Hilo doesn't work at all with the MRendu or any Linux based system via USB which has always annoyed the hell out of me. It works great with Windows but apparently Lynx failed to consider the Linux community during their USB implementation phase. Anyway, it doesn't matter anymore now that the M5 is being used to feed it via SPDIF. x-D

In terms of its operation and handling of mixed bit rate and varying resolution files the M5 has been flawless. It seamlessly transitions between formats on everything I've tried up to DSD64 without a hiccup using ROON and the Benchmark DAC3. The only test I haven't tried yet is how the M5 does with JRiver over DLNA. In my system JRiver has always been a bit of a disaster while trying to use it with the MRendu for anything over Redbook (Skip,Skip, Buffer, Studder) so hopefully things will work better with the M5 in that regard. I suspect it will be just fine.   

In the end the M5 is a winner in my book and everyone should give it try if the opportunity presents itself. I don't think you will be disappointed.

• 5 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Strojo said:

Is the network port 100mbps or gigabit ethernet on the M5?

write bricasti and ask. the specs don't say

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 8:38 AM, Strojo said:

Is the network port 100mbps or gigabit ethernet on the M5?

Heard from Bricasti...100mbps, not gigabit.  Leads me to speculate they are using a RaspberryPi board, because who the heck would design their own board with a slower technology that's been outdated for years?  :-)

1 hour ago, Strojo said:

Heard from Bricasti...100mbps, not gigabit.  Leads me to speculate they are using a RaspberryPi board, because who the heck would design their own board with a slower technology that's been outdated for years?  :-)

Regarding the choice of LAN speed connection available on the M5: I am not an engineer but can only report what I've learned from other very reliable sources. Supposedly, gigabit ethernet CAN generate more noise than a basic 10/100 interface. Since gigabit connection speeds are way higher than what is required for even hires and DSD audio, the prudent approach is to use the 10/100 LAN connection to keep noise as low as absolutely possible. Bricasti is by no means the only company to take this approach. Another VERY highly thought-of / reviewed competitive renderer product also follows this same approach. And yes, the Bricasti board is custom-designed by Bricasti.

Tidal Audio Agoria Loudspeakers; VAC Master preamp; Merrill Audio Christine preamp, Merrill Audio Jens & VAC Renaissance Phono Preamps;   Bricasti M28 & Merrill Audio Element 118 Monoblock Amplifiers; Sonore Signature RenduSE Optical network player; Bricasti M12 Source Controller/ DAC; Spiral Groove SG-2 TT with Centroid Arm & Transfiguration Proteus Diamond Cartridge; Ampex ATR-102 Reel-Reel with Merrill Audio Master tape head preamplifier; Ansuz signal and power cabling and power distribution; Symposium Isis racks 

INDUSTRY AFFILIATION: Dealer- XtremeFidelity.net (VAC,  Bricasti, Merrill Audio,  Sonore, Ansuz, Synergistic Research & others)

4 hours ago, Strojo said:

because it's likely they got better audio performance from the old technology (gigabit ethernet has it's own additional noise issues) and there isn't any need for gigabit networking for audio files.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 5 years later...