IGNORED

Anyone have any info on The Bricasti Design Model 5 Network Player

Guys - please share any and all info you might have or heard about for the Bricasti Design Model 5 Network Player. I have the Bricasti M1 SE DAC now so it should be a great match but I have no info on it? I add my rig on this site for background add info. 

For Network audio I currently use the Auralic Aries Extreme w/Duel Femto Clock and the SBooster BOTW Linear Power Supply with SBooster Ultra Filter plugged into the HiDiamond HDX2 Network Distributor / Conditioner with HiDiamond P3 Power Cables which works great but I just came across Bricasti Design Model 5 Network Player and this site is always on the cutting edge for all things computer / networking audio. Thanks I really appreciate any info you can share :)  

Model 5 Network Player

M5.JPG

Ypsilon Phaethon Integrated Amplifier w/6H30DR NOS Tubes / SR Orange Fuses > Bricasti Design M1SE MDx DAC w/Network Card / Roon Endpoint > Focal Sopra 2 Loudspeakers >   Antipodes S40 (v5.2H Board / K30 Engine) Audio Server + Antipodes S60 HSL50 Hybrid Linear Power Supply (2-Rails) w/AfterDark Silver Reference Black River Series DC Cables Uptone Audio EtherRegen Network Switch / Re-clocker > AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10MHz Master Clock Sin wave 75ohm w/Mini Circuits BLP10.7+ BNC Filter > AfterDark Black River Carbon Fiber 75ohm BNC Master Clock Cable  > AfterDark Modernize LPS x2 12V (2-Rails) > Wyred 4 Sound PS-1 LPS (4) Rails  > Solid Tech ROS Reference Model 4 Audio Rack System  > SRA Ohio Class XLIsolation Platform Synergistic Research Tranquility Basik Isolation Platform Active w/MIG 2.0 Footers and Silver Tuning Bullet  > Solid Tech Small TT Isolation Platform (3-Shleves) Tara Labe: The One Power Cord 2.0M (5-Cables> Audience AU24se HP 1.0M AC Power Cable  > Nordost Frey 2 Speaker Cables 4.0M Spades > Nordost Frey 2 XLR Interconnects 1.0M > High Fidelity Cables Reveal XLR Interconnects 5.0MAudioquest Vodka and Cardas Clear Ethernet RJ/E Cables  > Synergistic Research Atmosphere Acoustic Field Generator Tower Mini w/ATM Red Tuning Module  > (15Synergistic Research HFT’s (6PS Audio Noise Harvesters;
 DESKTOP 2nd SystemDali Menuet Loudspeakers (Gloss Black) > Rega Brio Integrated Amplifier (2021)Denafrips Aries II R2R DAC > Singxer SU-2 USB Digital Interface > Antipodes S40/S60 Audio Server / Roon Core (Networked from Main system) >Apple iMac Retina 5k 27-Inch (2021) Roon Remote / USB AudioKanto S6 Desktop Speaker Stands > Cardas Neutral Reference Speaker Cables 1.0M  Spades > Darwin Ascension Plus Silver Interconnects RCA 0.3M > Tara Labs The One AC Power Cord (2) > Zu Event MKI AC Power Cable 1.0M > Cardas Clear USB Cable 1.0M > Curious Cables USB Regen LinkBlack Cat Silver Star BNC S/PDIF Cable 1.0M > Synergistic Research Tesla QLS-6 Power Strip 

~ Fsmithjack            
 My Website  https://ctronicmusic.com/ 

Ypsilon  Bricasti  / Focal  Uptone Nordost / AfterDark / Solid Tech  

46AC9095-7EB4-4698-82FE-FC5E9E837893.png

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Advisory: I am a dealer for Bricasti (XtremeFidelity) . The new M5 is an exceptional product. The retail price is $2,400.00. Yes, Bricasti now offers an option for adding a LAN input to the M1, similar to what's available on their M12 Source Controller. The update includes the new streamer board and a revised rear panel with ethernet jack. The LAN input now appears as an additional input selection. I can tell you that this option, bypassing any external device and cables, is absolutely the way to go sonically! 

Tidal Audio Agoria Loudspeakers; VAC Master preamp; Merrill Audio Christine preamp, Merrill Audio Jens & VAC Renaissance Phono Preamps;   Bricasti M28 & Merrill Audio Element 118 Monoblock Amplifiers; Sonore Signature RenduSE Optical network player; Bricasti M12 Source Controller/ DAC; Spiral Groove SG-2 TT with Centroid Arm & Transfiguration Proteus Diamond Cartridge; Ampex ATR-102 Reel-Reel with Merrill Audio Master tape head preamplifier; Ansuz signal and power cabling and power distribution; Symposium Isis racks 

INDUSTRY AFFILIATION: Dealer- XtremeFidelity.net (VAC,  Bricasti, Merrill Audio,  Sonore, Ansuz, Synergistic Research & others)

I am listening to the beta for testing Bricasti Roon firmware as I write this, so this is very real and is indeed close! It sounds wonderful. Bricasti has been working very hard on this- it takes a huge amount of work and investment, but all Bricasti products with the streamer option will be compatible. 

Tidal Audio Agoria Loudspeakers; VAC Master preamp; Merrill Audio Christine preamp, Merrill Audio Jens & VAC Renaissance Phono Preamps;   Bricasti M28 & Merrill Audio Element 118 Monoblock Amplifiers; Sonore Signature RenduSE Optical network player; Bricasti M12 Source Controller/ DAC; Spiral Groove SG-2 TT with Centroid Arm & Transfiguration Proteus Diamond Cartridge; Ampex ATR-102 Reel-Reel with Merrill Audio Master tape head preamplifier; Ansuz signal and power cabling and power distribution; Symposium Isis racks 

INDUSTRY AFFILIATION: Dealer- XtremeFidelity.net (VAC,  Bricasti, Merrill Audio,  Sonore, Ansuz, Synergistic Research & others)

I am a dealer for both Bricasti and Sonore and I do not want to violate any CA policy on product promotion. What I can tell you is that both the M5 and the new Sonore Rendu series, especially the new ultra and Signature SE, are exceptionally sounding products which, in my opinion, significantly advance the sonics and "user-friendliness" of network streaming. However, they are two different products and thus should be looked at in the context of your system and especially your DAC. For example, the micro/ultra/SignatureSE Rendu's are USB-only, offer a variety of output modes (MPD/DLNA/Songcast/Roon/HQ Player/Spotify, etc.) and, for the micro and ultra, allow you to select the level of sonics and investment through the external power supply (the Signature SE is "all in one"). The M5 is a complete, self contained product that, in addition to USB, also provides AES and SPDIF outputs for those who want to avoid USB or don't have a USB DAC (but its USB output is no slough either). The M5 essentially provides an existing M1 series DAC with the equivalent of the new LAN input. The cost of these products is very reasonable and, to me, the idea of spending many, many thousands on a custom-computer server is no longer necessary for the best sonics.

24 minutes ago, Afveep said:

I am a dealer for both Bricasti and Sonore and I do not want to violate any CA policy on product promotion. What I can tell you is that both the M5 and the new Sonore Rendu series, especially the new ultra and Signature SE, are exceptionally sounding products which, in my opinion, significantly advance the sonics and "user-friendliness" of network streaming. However, they are two different products and thus should be looked at in the context of your system and especially your DAC. For example, the micro/ultra/SignatureSE Rendu's are USB-only, offer a variety of output modes (MPD/DLNA/Songcast/Roon/HQ Player/Spotify, etc.) and, for the micro and ultra, allow you to select the level of sonics and investment through the external power supply (the Signature SE is "all in one"). The M5 is a complete, self contained product that, in addition to USB, also provides AES and SPDIF outputs for those who want to avoid USB or don't have a USB DAC (but its USB output is no slough either). The M5 essentially provides an existing M1 series DAC with the equivalent of the new LAN input. The cost of these products is very reasonable and, to me, the idea of spending many, many thousands on a custom-computer server is no longer necessary for the best sonics.

You have a very nice audio system :o Can you describe the difference in SQ between the ultra, Signature and Model 5, to your ears and in your system?

Why is the M5 USB output limited to DSD128?  What clock does the M5 use?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2017 at 2:00 PM, rickca said:

Why is the M5 USB output limited to DSD128?  What clock does the M5 use?

Probably because there is fewer albums available then I have fingers and toes worth listening to above DSD64. Manufacturers need to draw a line somewhere when designing a product. Having a product that supports DSD 1Million (So to speak) is of little value and not worth their time supporting.

Unless you have a DAC and other capable supporting components that supports DSD native without PCM conversion I wouldnt worry about chasing the DSD xxxx goal.

Dont be fooled, Redbook is still king, with the right gear and recording/mastering.

13 minutes ago, cjf said:

Probably because there is fewer albums available then I have fingers and toes worth listening to above DSD64.

Lots of CA members use HQPlayer to convert to DSD512.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

• 1 month later...

Hi rjc1845,

Disclosure: I am a Bricasti dealer- XtremeFidelity. The network player option for the M1 has been available for a few months now. My demo M1SE has the Roon firmware update and yes, the M1 can now be an endpoint for Roon. Existing M1s can be updated to include the network option.  It's a fairly involved update as it includes a revised rear panel with ethernet jack; internal board; and updated firmware, and thus must go back to the factory. The cost of the update is somewhat dependent on the SN of your unit. Your dealer can give you specifics. If you have no local dealer, I can certainly help you. I do just want to check that the final version of Roon firmware is available for the M1; I'll report back shortly.

Tom

On 10/14/2017 at 4:56 PM, Afveep said:

Hi rjc1845,

Disclosure: I am a Bricasti dealer- XtremeFidelity. The network player option for the M1 has been available for a few months now. My demo M1SE has the Roon firmware update and yes, the M1 can now be an endpoint for Roon. Existing M1s can be updated to include the network option.  It's a fairly involved update as it includes a revised rear panel with ethernet jack; internal board; and updated firmware, and thus must go back to the factory. The cost of the update is somewhat dependent on the SN of your unit. Your dealer can give you specifics. If you have no local dealer, I can certainly help you. I do just want to check that the final version of Roon firmware is available for the M1; I'll report back shortly.

UPDATE & CORRECTION: The Roon firmware update is not yet available for the M1 & M12; only the M5 network player is available with Roon at the moment. This is due to the more complex products (M1 and M12) where Roon requires more feature/functionality control. The network player option though is available for the M1 and you can use it with JRiver and other DLNA players for now. As mentioned above, for existing M1/M1SE units, the network option is quoted by serial number. Sorry for the confusion.

Tom

• 1 month later...

What distinguishes the Bricasti M5 from Aurender, Lumin, Auralic players is it not only accepts DSD(128) FLAC but video files, like MKV, HT 'audience' has a serious player :)

Linear Power supply inside, even for the USB output, nice. In comparing the Sonore Signature price, the one box Bricasti is 1/3rd advantage. Even if you went the discrete route of a SMS-200/uRendu/LPS1 and other power supplies, the M5 is looking more like a real competitor. Since it a renderer only, there's no major special quirky software tie in's to work with, other than players themselves which you need anyway, duh.

Works with Jriver, Audirvana+ and Roon directly. Outputs are USB, RCA S/PDIF (BNC optional), AES3.

According to Audiostream it's priced at USD2400.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

• 2 months later...

UPDATE ON MY SYSTEM:

Ok so will know today exactly what I am doing. Of course I am going in a different direction than I was heading.

I am starting with Bricasti Ethernet Media Player. This is step one. I live 1/2 hour from Bricasti and going there today.

I may get there separate M5 Media Player so I can then add a SOtM txUSB after it to go with my Uptone LPS-1 Power Supply and my great Tellurium Q Black Diamond USB Cable.  

I think this combo has the potential to be amazing. My hope is that it is better than SOtM 200ultra or Ultra Rendu or Innous or Melco.

Brian at Bricasti makes smoking good digital products. I may do M5 and may later try the txUSB. Who knows maybe it is good enough to not need the txUSB.

Option 2.) Just have the Bricasti media player hard add installed in my M1SE DAC. Brian seems to think this is the most ideal setup if already own a Bricasti because it removes the entire usb chain and goes direct. The thing is if you already have a Bricasti this is the way to go - Maybe - but because I already own all the great supporting usb gear I am tempted to try the M5. I can see the M5 with SOtM after it being the best digital there is anywhere at any price and it is not expensive. The SOtM combo is $3000 and the Innuos is $3300 and the Melco $5000 and the even UltraRendu after you buy Uptone JS-2 and ISO Regen and LPS-1.2 it adds up.

Point is this Bricasti M5 set up with some supporting gear - (SOtM txUSBultra, Great USB Cable and LPS-1 to power txUSB could be a true work beater and it is no more than other products but it is from a company that does't release new model its just improves the currant ones with upgrades.

What do all the microRendu owners have to do when the ultraRendu came out. They need to sell the old one and buy the new one. That is a pain the neck.

Bricasti just upgrades the current model so it is better and gets new customers and also stands by current owners.

Guys this has to matter. They all should do this.

Brian doesn't just say this - he does it.  NO ONE ELSE DOES THIS? Yes Ayre and companies like that but I am talking in this super quick evolving market that we are all in. 

THIS IS THE COMPANY TO BUY AND PARTNER WITH AND THIS IS THE PRODUCT, 

But wait I will let you know how it sounds and compare it to UltruRendu and others.

More into to come. 

I will let you know. 

Was considering:

Ultra Rendu / ISO

Innuos ZENith MKiI

Melco N1/ZH MK II

SOtM 200Ultra SE / txUSBultra

Ypsilon Phaethon Integrated Amplifier w/6H30DR NOS Tubes / SR Orange Fuses > Bricasti Design M1SE MDx DAC w/Network Card / Roon Endpoint > Focal Sopra 2 Loudspeakers >   Antipodes S40 (v5.2H Board / K30 Engine) Audio Server + Antipodes S60 HSL50 Hybrid Linear Power Supply (2-Rails) w/AfterDark Silver Reference Black River Series DC Cables Uptone Audio EtherRegen Network Switch / Re-clocker > AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10MHz Master Clock Sin wave 75ohm w/Mini Circuits BLP10.7+ BNC Filter > AfterDark Black River Carbon Fiber 75ohm BNC Master Clock Cable  > AfterDark Modernize LPS x2 12V (2-Rails) > Wyred 4 Sound PS-1 LPS (4) Rails  > Solid Tech ROS Reference Model 4 Audio Rack System  > SRA Ohio Class XLIsolation Platform Synergistic Research Tranquility Basik Isolation Platform Active w/MIG 2.0 Footers and Silver Tuning Bullet  > Solid Tech Small TT Isolation Platform (3-Shleves) Tara Labe: The One Power Cord 2.0M (5-Cables> Audience AU24se HP 1.0M AC Power Cable  > Nordost Frey 2 Speaker Cables 4.0M Spades > Nordost Frey 2 XLR Interconnects 1.0M > High Fidelity Cables Reveal XLR Interconnects 5.0MAudioquest Vodka and Cardas Clear Ethernet RJ/E Cables  > Synergistic Research Atmosphere Acoustic Field Generator Tower Mini w/ATM Red Tuning Module  > (15Synergistic Research HFT’s (6PS Audio Noise Harvesters;
 DESKTOP 2nd SystemDali Menuet Loudspeakers (Gloss Black) > Rega Brio Integrated Amplifier (2021)Denafrips Aries II R2R DAC > Singxer SU-2 USB Digital Interface > Antipodes S40/S60 Audio Server / Roon Core (Networked from Main system) >Apple iMac Retina 5k 27-Inch (2021) Roon Remote / USB AudioKanto S6 Desktop Speaker Stands > Cardas Neutral Reference Speaker Cables 1.0M  Spades > Darwin Ascension Plus Silver Interconnects RCA 0.3M > Tara Labs The One AC Power Cord (2) > Zu Event MKI AC Power Cable 1.0M > Cardas Clear USB Cable 1.0M > Curious Cables USB Regen LinkBlack Cat Silver Star BNC S/PDIF Cable 1.0M > Synergistic Research Tesla QLS-6 Power Strip 

~ Fsmithjack            

4 minutes ago, Miska said:

What noise issues? It doesn't have noise issues. It even officially supports optical links so you gain full galvanic isolation.

Ethernet is noiseless? Why are there pages devoted to cleaning up the signal, including special noise free switches/routers/nics/clocks? Why do Ham radio operators go to extraordinary lengths to reduce the crud from IT/Ethernet.

Optical fibre requires a media conversion from optical to copper to the likes of the M5, and media converters are powered, wait for it, a noisy SMPS.

Convince me, cause I am not.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

19 minutes ago, One and a half said:

and media converters are powered, wait for it, a noisy SMPS.

They're happily powered by ~ 7Vdc , so you are free to add whatever PSU you want (including linear).

Not that you need to do the following but I went a further step and had the switching regulators replaced by SOtM with linear regulators and the FMC's now accept 5Vdc.

But it doesn't help the spaghetti mess - 2 boxes, 2 PSU's, ethernet cable and fiber cable. It really is a sight for sore eyes, happy to admit that.

A gigabit network switch that optically isolates internally, inside one metal box powered by one single PSU, with just ethernet input and ethernet output, one day would be really nice.

52 minutes ago, One and a half said:

Ethernet is noiseless? Why are there pages devoted to cleaning up the signal, including special noise free switches/routers/nics/clocks?

If I would be nasty, to most extent I would say lot of that is snake-oil.

Why do Ham radio operators go to extraordinary lengths to reduce the crud from IT/Ethernet.

Probably that is not something that is conducted by ethernet wire to their system, especially optical one?

And if you look at pro-audio networked interfaces (Dante/RAVENNA) now commonly used to record the music you listen, I'm not hearing too much complaints. Even using plain old copper ethernet which is transformer isolated by the spec, unlike USB.

Optical fibre requires a media conversion from optical to copper to the likes of the M5, and media converters are powered, wait for it, a noisy SMPS.

Well, that's a design problem of M5 that it doesn't have optical ethernet connections. If fact I think manufacturers should just equip devices with SFP slots, then you can choose between copper ethernet and various different optical links. This is what is the common practice in normal IT world.

Sure, audiophile device sector has lot to catch up and learn on networking side, even more so than they've had on USB.

33 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

A gigabit network switch that optically isolates internally, inside one metal box powered by one single PSU, with just ethernet input and ethernet output, one day would be really nice.

Just use a switch with optical connections and have network card with optical interfaces in your computer. No converter boxes needed.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

6 minutes ago, Miska said:

Just use a switch with optical connections and have network card with optical interfaces in your computer.

Macbook user here :-) And Roon Core (ROCK) and Roon endpoints are all ethernet based.

This would require everything to have optical connections - not possible atm without FMC's.

But yes, that's a solution if you just have one computer as both your 'core' or server, and 'endpoint'.

3 hours ago, One and a half said:

I've abandoned Ethernet for audio, just as many noise issues and fixes as USB. There's another thread discussing the M5, didn't search good enough when I started this one, might ask the founder to close or merge.

Ethernet Audio certainly isn’t perfect - no doubt but we are talking about hi-end computer Audio so nothing is perfect but we certainly are all trying improve and make whatever we are chasing better. If not then where is the fun.

That being said with Bricasti threads the more the merrier that means word on this site is growing that for the money - what do they say - pound for pound - Bricasti makes the best sounding digital in the world. There are companies like SOtM, Sonore, Uptone that make great products that make the Bricasti even better which is great.

Heres the deal. What ever you were doing? Share with us your set up that made you dump Ethernet because although not perfect by any mean it is currently the best option for streaming audio and getting better with the addition of external clock and improved routers, etc 

~ Fsmithjack