IGNORED

iFi Audio Groundhog - The official thread (launched 5th of May 2017)

Groundhog

Stay Grounded. Bring your system back to Earth.

Groundhog-1EN1.thumb.jpg.1c794a26a3f61ceddbbf52c9271d03af.jpg

Hum! Buzz! Hiss!

EMC legislation requires certain ways of designing AC power systems and this is not

good news for audio systems! It leads to irritating audio gremlins that wreak havoc

with your listening enjoyment. This interference is often caused by a missing

Ground/Earth connection.

Banish audio gremlins!

At iFi, we know how annoying the gremlins can be so we created the Groundhog. Its

sole objective is to put the Ground/Earth back into your system and banish those

unwanted audio pests.

Groundhog-EN4.thumb.jpg.f8b98e2c036d4e7861a2e2ba01d38947.jpg

All you need to do is use a standard IEC power cable to connect the Groundhog to

your audio system. The Groundhog then adds back the missing Ground/Earth

connection to dissipate noise. It adds proper ground protection to shield out EMI

and RFI noise which in turn eliminates hiss and hum, creating a darker background

sound and higher resolution.

Our Groundhog is one multi-talented animal to provide a variety of connections to

suit all audio systems.

•  RCA base cable – for any audio system with an unused RCA socket.
  •  USB converter – for a computer audio system. Just connect to a spare USB port.
  •  Spade converter – for power supplies with a DC barrel connector.
  •  3.5mm Y-converter – for portable devices with an unused 3.5mm connection.

The retail price of the Groundhog is US$49 (ex-tax) or €59/£49 (incl VAT).

Full product info: http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-groundhog/

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

On 6.05.2017 at 1:21 PM, Middy said:

Nice gents simple and elegant. 

I think the boss is working you lot to hard...?

We try. :)

In all seriousness, we now receive requests from customers to solve system issues. When we see more than one or two similar questions, we flag this to the R&D team to investigate further as it seems there may be an opening for a 'blue ocean' product.

On 09/05/2017 at 6:25 AM, AMR/iFi audio said:

We try. :)

Hi iFi, is there any way to purchase the main RCA-to-IEC adapters separately?

I've purchased 2 x Groundhogs and all-up there are 4 x adapters I would love to use in there but only 2 x RCA-to-IEC adapters are included :-(

22 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Hi iFi, is there any way to purchase the main RCA-to-IEC adapters separately?

I've purchased 2 x Groundhogs and all-up there are 4 x adapters I would love to use in there but only 2 x RCA-to-IEC adapters are included :-(

Can you please explain why would you need more?

21 minutes ago, AMR/iFi audio said:

Can you please explain why would you need more?

So with the 2 x Groundhogs, I’ve used the 2 x DC plug spade adapters with 2 x SMPS’s.

I have the 2 x USB adapters that I can’t use elsewhere because there are no more IEC adapters.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @AMR/iFi audio

i just received my Groundhog. I decided to test the base cable (female IEC to male RCA) for continuity before trying it out.

I am measuring a DC resistance of about 15 ohms on this base cable. Is this by design? I was under the impression that this cable just provided continuity from the DC ground plane of the device to AC ground.

Do I have a defective unit? Please clarify.

Well, I received a clueless reply from iFi support:

• Can you confirm what your intentions with it? I only ask as some people maybe in experienced with ground / earth and it may / may not be needed. If it is to solve a humming issue then this is primary use.

@Em2016 - mate, if you have a multimeter, could you do a quick resistance measurement of the IEC to RCA adapter? I just want to know if the 15 ohms I'm seeing is by design, or a faulty unit.

Just now, austinpop said:

• Can you confirm what your intentions with it? I only ask as some people maybe in experienced with ground / earth and it may / may not be needed. If it is to solve a humming issue then this is primary use.

@Em2016 - mate, if you have a multimeter, could you do a quick resistance measurement of the IEC to RCA adapter? I just want to know if the 15 ohms I'm seeing is by design, or a faulty unit.

Hi mate, will do. After I saw your posts I already planned to anyway.

Give me 24 hours or so though (timezone diff). I'll try and do it tonight, Australian time, or tomorrow. Just gotta find the Fluke !

12 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Ta!

(I grew up in a British colony, and have a lot more where these came from. We could be at this for a while.) :D

Unless the gaffer deletes these posts!

Ha no, the gaffer should be fine, you win. Lad and chap is all I have!

5 hours ago, austinpop said:

Well, I received a clueless reply from iFi support

At least they haven't told you your multimeter is defective (yet).  Or that you're barmy.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

5 hours ago, austinpop said:

I got the similar, 12 ohms for me matey

6 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Thanks for checking. So this is a feature, not a defect...

Yup looks like it. What are the issues/concerns you (potentially) have with this number? Just so I can follow your train of thought.

Does this number need to be lower, for the Groundhog to do it's grounding job?

9 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Yup looks like it. What are the issues/concerns you (potentially) have with this number? Just so I can follow your train of thought.

Does this number need to be lower, for the Groundhog to do it's grounding job?

Well, @JohnSwenson‘s grounding gizmo, described here does not have any series resistance at all. While 12-15 ohms is small, is it better or worse than John’s gizmo?

i am mindful that this is an iFi-sponsored forum thread.

Let’s take this discussion over to the SMPS Grounding thread.