IGNORED

Strange Windows 10 Issue

6 hours ago, rickca said:

Are you kidding?  MacOS has had major problems with wifi.  Have a look at what happened when Apple tried to replace mDNSResponder with discoveryd.  

Be as it may, but in general my comment is correct.

Windows WiFi is no picnic either.

On 5/4/2017 at 9:34 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys - I'm at my wits' end with a Windows 10 issue that recently cropped up. Any help you can give is very welcomed.

Details:

My Windows 10 PC runs RoonServer, JRiver, HQPlayer, and a host of other apps. Everything is network based, so no USB connected DACs or anything on this PC. The PC runs just fine for hours, but then certain types of network traffic stop working. 

RoonServer can no longer see endpoints, login to the Roon account, or login to Tidal

HQPlayer can't see NAA endpoints

JRiver can't see the update server

Web browsers can't access any internet pages

However, I can ping both IP addresses and fully qualified domain names both locally and on the internet. 

My temporary solution is to restart the PC and everything works. until come back down to my office in the morning and I'm back to the same several items not working. 

The issue started around mid to late April. It was present before the Windows 10 creators update and after the update. 

Please help if you can.

I would suggest try and start from scratch:

Reformat the disk and reinstall Windows and all the software.

Reason for it could lie in a virus or a trojan you could've contracted...

If you have an option to just stick another disk to try that on for a few days, that might be ideal IMHO.

7 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The shotgun approach always works. I'm hopeful for a different solution. 

Not sure how I could've reasonably contracted a virus or Trojan. No web browsing or email on this machine. Windows firewall and defender both running. 

Do you have a different NIC you could try?

Disable a built-in on the motherboard, and see if that helps?

If you don't want Windows update to reinstall the offending files, your best bet will be to edit windows update settings in Group Policy, and set updates as "Current Branch for Business". You can defer updates for  up to 180 days. This setting will tide you over until Blackbird 1.0 is released.

23 hours ago, jriver said:

Chris,

Did you explore the power settings for the network device?  It may be shutting down.

Jim

hi Jim - Yes, no luck.

It's really strange because this is a very stock install without any tweaks. The install is only a couple months old as well. Meaning, I reinstalled everything fresh a few months ago.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

My Windows 10 PC downloaded and installed the following updates in the mid April timeframe:

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4015217)

Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3150513)

There are two other ones, an update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1607 and the monthly Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool (April 2017), though I suspect the two updates above are more likely suspects in messing up networking.

• 1 month later...

Ok, here's my 2cents.

I have noticed that unlike my Mac, when my Windows 10 wants to do an update it HOGS the total house bandwidth and not much else gets a look in. 

The data rate appears phenomenal, and can be observed in the 'Task Manager' Performance Tab, if you click on Network. This gives you a rolling graph of the network activity.

What I ended up doing was to tell Windows 10 my Wifi in the house was a 'Metered Network'. This means that the updates do not run automatically (you cannot switch them off in Windows).

This is all well and good, but it seems after a week or two of this the CPU loading creeps up to around 33% background. This is just some Win10 processes wanting to update but getting frustrated (or at least as far as I can tell), so if you unblock the Wifi (disable 'Metered Connection') it will update and go back to normal for another couple of weeks.

Your situation 'may' be different, but when the Wifi stops working check in the Task Manager and see what the network is doing, certainly on mine the update is huge and of a fierce speed, and the only way I have found to dodge this random inconvenience is with the 'Metered Connection' trip.

HTH

Oh and if you tether Win10 to a mobile, be sure to Immediately set it to a Metered Connection. If you don't you'll sit down with your coffee and it will quickly and quietly use of your entire data plan by the time you'd finished the foam on top. Win10 has a nasty habit of updates, the Apple is a much calmer 'opt-in' process :D.

Battling the Loudness War with the SeeDeClip4 multi-user, decompressing, declipping streaming Music Server.

23 hours ago, CuteStudio said:

Oh and if you tether Win10 to a mobile, be sure to Immediately set it to a Metered Connection. If you don't you'll sit down with your coffee and it will quickly and quietly use of your entire data plan by the time you'd finished the foam on top. Win10 has a nasty habit of updates, the Apple is a much calmer 'opt-in' process :D.

Haha, yeah, I noticed this with roaming data when traveling to the Munich High-End show... :D It decided that was the perfect moment to download Creators Update...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers